PDA

View Full Version : Random wallbag thread

Mr Punch
02-08-2004, 06:36 AM
Why do wing chunners not get calluses?

Is it good to start on a finer bag filling and work up to gravel and stuff?

With what do you fill yours?

I know some of these answers have been covered before, just want a recap before I make my new one.

IronFist
02-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by EmptyCup

what makes you say that? you have never seen a wing chunner who practices on a bag regularly and with force with callouses?

I haven't.

Nick Forrer
02-09-2004, 06:25 AM
Hi Mat

Heres a really good tip from my instructor

fill it with the smooth little stones people use to fill the bottoms of fishtanks.

Also I prefer leather bags over canvas (which tend to take the skin of your knuckles) and you can use a small patch of thin linoleum to stop the leather from wearing out where you hit it

regards
Nick

Sekabin
02-09-2004, 06:29 AM
... a progressive training regime (start with mung beans) and plenty of jow. It's different to whacking a makiwara.

I did know a very good WC master who had calluses, but his WC was different to my own Sifu - basically harder and less refined.

Mr Punch
02-10-2004, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by EmptyCup
what makes you say that? you have never seen a wing chunner who practices on a bag regularly and with force with callouses?
I doubt most wing chun sifus even regularly hit the bags. they're too busy on the jong or chi sau Perhaps that explains it

Stone me Cup me old son, you've been on this board for too long, bickering with pedants, haven't you?! :D

You're one of the last people I expected to be second guessing such a simple question. In answer to your first question, I said it of my own volition, because, strangely enough (and in answer to your second question) I've never met a wing chunner with calluses.

My first sifu practised pretty much every day on the wall bag, 13 years when he taught me. Hard, soft, medium, different speeds, forces and angles. No calluses.

As far as I remember through personal and fu-bros' reported experience very few people have calluses.

And since we seem to be playing the second guessing game, your first quote seems to suggest that you think many sifu practise hard on the bag AND have calluses, and the second seems to suggest you think no-one even practises on the bag...

Any danger of a sensible answer to a simple question?

Cheers Nick, Sek.

BTW Nick, my first sifu used a thick nylon based vinyl bag in the kwoon, and I think it was filled with the same as yours.

BTW Sek, I know it's different to makiwara, that wasn't what I was asking... and how many makiwara have you 'whacked' or been taught to 'whack'?! :p :D ;) I'll deal with you tomorrow sunshine...!:eek: And you don't have any jow do you? We're in the wrong **** country you know!

foolinthedeck
02-16-2004, 11:54 AM
whats a callous?
he asked callously..