PDA

View Full Version : Video and a serious question

IronFist
02-08-2004, 10:56 PM
Should you learn to fight dogs? I'm not saying you should practice on real dogs or anything, but say in a worst-case scenario you're attacked by a dog. What would you do?

I guess that's a better question. HOW would you fight a dog?

Oh yeah and here's a video.

Dog (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nigel.simpson/clips/dog2.mpg).

Toby
02-08-2004, 11:07 PM
Well, I guess I'd try to keep its jaws as far from me as I can, probably by grabbing it behind the head and try to get it in a headlock. You don't really have to worry about the paws then apart from superficial cuts. My parents have had 4 german shepherds over the years and they are fun to wrestle with but hella fast with their jaws. Headlocks seem to stop them from doing much, but you've gotta be ready to run when you let them go!

I remember reading once that the best thing to do with a dog is take one front leg in one hand, the other in the other and pull your hands apart sideways :eek:. This will incapacitate the animal quickly.

IronFist
02-08-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Toby
I remember reading once that the best thing to do with a dog is take one front leg in one hand, the other in the other and pull your hands apart sideways :eek:. This will incapacitate the animal quickly.

Ouch! That would suck for the dog.

Did you watch the video I posted?

Toby
02-09-2004, 12:04 AM
No. I've been using too much bandwidth lately and have to cut down.

Losttrak
02-09-2004, 06:29 AM
I used to "spar" an aggressive boxer an acquiantance used to own. They typically chase the arms and hands. If you keep one leg forward (for manhood protection) and bait them with your arms you can easily control them. If they stand to reach your arms, shove them back with your knee. I'll say this... one wrong move and they will take a finger off. Their jaws are soo quick and accurate you cant ever stop moving the hands.

SiuHung
02-09-2004, 06:44 AM
Try using your voice first. Shouting"NO!!!" to a dog will usually cause it to think twice. However, you must do so with supreme confidence and maintain eye contact. Most dogs respond well to authority.
As a side note, dogs can be amazingly strong and have a different nervous system from us, thus they don't feel pain the same way we do. They can withstand a lot of damage and keep going. Oh, and that video was hilarious! I have a larger dog and he's done similar things to me despite the fact that I weigh over 200lbs.
Mike

truewrestler
02-09-2004, 07:08 AM
Pressure point strike to that ticklish spot on their belly works every time :p

red5angel
02-09-2004, 08:31 AM
this subject has come up a few times, and personally I think it's almost more reasonable to consider then fighting people. I know I have been in a fight with more dogs then people!

I have had to fight off two dogs seriously - usually puffing up and getting aggressive makes most dogs back down. In one case I managed to hit the dog on the nose and send it packing. In the other I got in a good swift kick - after a couple of attempts and near misses - that sent it a couple of feet, it got up and reconsidered it's barking range from that point on.

Meat Shake
02-09-2004, 08:35 AM
Heh... I wrestle with my buddies boxer all the time. If you dont care, you can just pop it in the nose, but if its a friends dog thats just getting out of line...
Its pretty easy to manipulate a dog to whatever position you want, even when they are angry. Stand over the dog, facing the same direction as he is, and reach under both of his front arms and grab his collar. Like a full nelson for a dog, and when he tries to move, the collar just pulls his head down, and keeps it from moving to the side to bite you.

Xebsball
02-09-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Toby
Well, I guess I'd try to keep its jaws as far from me as I can, probably by grabbing it behind the head and try to get it in a headlock. You don't really have to worry about the paws then apart from superficial cuts. My parents have had 4 german shepherds over the years and they are fun to wrestle with but hella fast with their jaws. Headlocks seem to stop them from doing much, but you've gotta be ready to run when you let them go!

Nope, nope, no please. Have mercy on your arms/hands before you think of grabbing it behind the head and putting a big strong dog ina headlock.
Im a vet student, I work with all kinds of dogs plenty o time. Any angry dog can quickly turn and take your hand before you grab his neck.
Dont believe me?
A rottweiler almost took my hand last friday :D
And it was a small unatletic untrained diabetic rott. All i did was try to tuch the back of his neck cos he was letting go off the leash basicly and so on.
She just didnt take my hand cos - 1) i pulled off and it got my finger - 2) it was a defensive warning bite, not a destroying bite.
Point 2: theres a difference between playing/sparring with your dogs on the backyard and fighting an agressive dog coming towards you for a clear attack.
Oh yeah, try grabbin an attacking dogs front leg yeah right go for it boy :rolleyes:

red5angel
02-09-2004, 08:45 AM
Its pretty easy to manipulate a dog to whatever position you want, even when they are angry

"easy" isn't the word I would use, maybe if you were playing or the dog was a rabid yorkshire terrier. I've owned dogs my whole life, moslty big ones and I have seen how they fight plenty. even playing with a dog can be hard the way they can move and scamper.

Meat Shake
02-09-2004, 09:05 AM
You just have to get used to it and go after the ******* like you're fearless. Ive had big dogs try and get rough before, its not really that hard. A good handful of skin on their back makes it easy as hell to pull them to the ground, doggie BJJ from then on out.
If its just some evil rott or pit outside somewhere though, Id either go with a punch to the face or a knee to the chest.

Judge Pen
02-09-2004, 09:13 AM
MeatShake, your idea would only work with a dog with no intent to attack.

I used to date a woman whose father trained German Shephards. (Trust me, I didn't **** him off). He told me that you could not stop a dog from doing serious damage to you unless you had a stick and struck the dog along its front legs, breaking the legs. You could not hurt them fast enough by hitting or kicking it. A dog intent about killing you wouldn't just go for the arms or legs, but straight for the throat.

If you didn't have a stick, then I dunno. I suppose it's a lot like knife defense. You know you are probably going to be cut, it's just a matter of minimizing the damage. I suppose you could jam your arm into its mouth taking the damage there instead of letting the dog get to your throat.

norther practitioner
02-09-2004, 09:28 AM
8 shots to kill a dog this last weekend. It was attacking a lady in some park, then it was chased off somehow, cops found it, it went after them, and it took 8 shots.

red5angel
02-09-2004, 09:45 AM
He told me that you could not stop a dog from doing serious damage to you unless you had a stick and struck the dog along its front legs, breaking the legs.

oh I don't know about that. I think dogs are good at getting a hold of flesh if they want to, and like people it can take more to take one down then it may take to drop another but I think you can minimize the damage pretty effectively. I think the ley with dogs is footwork and kicking.

norther practitioner
02-09-2004, 09:47 AM
The key to dogs is not letting it get to your jugular or face.

norther practitioner
02-09-2004, 09:49 AM
story (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_2640366,00.html)

Gangsterfist
02-09-2004, 09:51 AM
My roomates father is a vet, and owns 3 private practices around town. He has been a vet for over 20 years and we have had this conversation before with him. I once got chased by a chow and I bolted up into a tree. The dog paced back and forth for 15 minutes waiting for me to come down.

Basically there are a few things you can do, but I must stress there is risk involved. Gouging the dogs eyes is one case, and only recomended if you are on the ground and the dog has one of your limbs in its mouth.

If the dog does not have you yet and you are standing face to face. You can punch it in the nose. True story, my friends and I were playing basketball on his driveway when a neighbors dog came trotting over and started growling at us. It was a rottwiler. We got scared and jumped in the bed of a pick up truck. Except one of us stood their, and it sure as hell wasn't me. The dog lunged at my buddy and he just straight up punched it square in the nose pretty hard. The dog fell down and welped and then ran off.

If you want to get brave, and I see this method only as last ditch effert. If you can pin its tounge to the bottom jaw it cannot bite down. The dog will not clamp down at all. This will buy you some time. My roomates father (the vet) has used this on rowdy dogs. I am not sure how confident I am to stick my hand in an angry dogs mouth but apparently it works. The vet also has a lot more experience handling animals so I bet he could more easily pull this one off. This could perhaps be more practical if the dog already has your hand or fist. You can also shove your hand down its throat, usually your fist is bigger than the dogs throat. Again I would say these are last ditch efforts, or if the dog already has you by the hand.

The scary thing is, if the dog is trained then its a completely different game. Something more extreme like gouging the eyes or breaking the legs will have to come in play. Not to mention, I have heard of dogs being trained to attack the groin. So if you ever come across a trained attack dog I suggest hopping in a tree, because dogs can't climb trees.

Also its been mentioned before, but just to go a bit further on it. Dogs legs have a specific design to them. If you bend the leg against the design it will break, tear muscle, and really hurt the dog real bad, and more than likely permanetly make it damaged.

Judge Pen
02-09-2004, 09:58 AM
Out stepping a dog is like outrunning a dog. It isnt' going to happen.

red5angel
02-09-2004, 10:03 AM
Out stepping a dog is like outrunning a dog. It isnt' going to happen.

I disagree, on several occasions I have managed to "outstep" a dog, and what I mean by that is to get into a position to strike out with my feet. It's possible, but not easy.

Gangsterfist, yep, the nose is tender. I was running one afternoon when this collie came flying out of a garage snarling and snapping at my feet. so I turned aorund and swing and hit it right on the nose, and it ran back to the garage. It was scared enough that it stood off about 20 ft and barked while I walked up to the door, knocked and explained to the lady owner if I ever saw the dog loose again I would call animal control.

IronFist
02-09-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Gangsterfist
Not to mention, I have heard of dogs being trained to attack the groin.

Holy crap!

Yeah, what about poking its eyes out?

stimulant
02-09-2004, 01:59 PM
I've dated a few dogs in my time and I've always found the best way to defend against them is to withdraw your creditcard from their use, change your pin number for the ATM, and stop buying them gifts.....they'll soon back down and be sorry then. punching them in the nose and poking them in the eyes is a bit harsh....but each man to his own method!

Kymus
02-09-2004, 02:09 PM
I like wrestling with dogs when I can. However, there is a big difference between when they play and when they want to rip you apart. My attack would depend on how psycho the dog is. I would maybe try to kick it's side or something, but at the same time, I can picture it latching onto my shin (or foot) in the process. I would at first try not to harm the thing that much, however, if I didn't care, I'd just jik tek it in the lower jaw and basically stick to short quick attacks. I know one thing vets do it pinch the dogs cheeks in so it can't bite you. But I am sure that would be hard to hold onto with a dog that is lashing around. I know how strong their necks can be!

red5angel
02-09-2004, 02:45 PM
If it does deicde to latch on, that may, believe it or not, be to your advantage. If it's mouth is closed then you have some leverage and must act fast to do damage, like the above mentioned eye gouge.

Gangsterfist
02-09-2004, 04:08 PM
Lets just say I have known a few people in the dog breeding/training business, and have been told that there are in fact training techniques that have been used for dogs to always attack certain areas. A lot of times police dogs will be trained to grab the arm, this is to prevent the suspect (I use the term suspect lightly) from using a weapon against a police officer. If a police dog were to attack the leg, or another part whats stopping the suspect from just shooting the dog? Nothing much, besides the fact that its considered attempted murder against a police officer even know its a dog. However, if the dog has a hold of the suspect by the arm it can gain leverage and make that weapon they are weilding useless.

I have also heard of guard dogs being trained to attack the throat and groin. So in that situation I recomend the eye gouging, then leg breaking, then neck snapping just to be sure that dog can't attack you anymore.

If the dog is untrained its just instinct, and that can be a pretty dynamic situation depending on if the dog is rabid or not. If you are brave you can try to pin the tounge to their bottom jaw, I have used this before with my dogs in the past when they act up and play too rough. It works but they aren't trying to kill me either.

Now what would you do if a water buffalo attacked you? That would be an interesting subject.

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-09-2004, 04:32 PM
im no expert, but id say stay on your feet above all else. dogs do not need to be trained to go for the throat. in fact id be willing to bet that aside from dogs specifically trained for it, an untrained dog is more likely to go for the throat.

personally ... if i were in the worst case scenario with a dog (just like with people you can often tell if its gonna be a life or death fight or a dick measuring competition) i'd give it my arm immediately. let it have the arm while you do all the damage you can with your free arm. it's better to have hundreds of stitches and a crushed ulna than a new hole where your throat used to be.

i have also been told that if a dog has your arm you can wrap your other behind its head and basically flip the dogs head upward like a spez dispenser breaking it's neck. if have lightly applied this type of movement to my shepherd and while i think you definitely could break its neck this way, im not sure of how easy it would be to accomplish on a hundred pounds of dog viciously shaking itself by said neck.

rubthebuddha
02-09-2004, 05:28 PM
GDA - well, that's a general lesson for all: don't **** with satan. :D

speaking of which, got any pictures of the pup? i'm just a fan o' sheppies, and the fiancée and i are going to get one from heidelberg (http://www.heidelberg-usa.com) when we get hitched.

No_Know
02-09-2004, 06:07 PM
You say it's a serious question yet you provide a link to a video that does not show a dog attack(ing). It does perhaps indicate a nifty area and angle of strike with force, to knock a person down.

Part of seeing fighting a dog is they have claws also. What I read so far in this thread has been jaws centered. They are not necessarily as fine as domestic feline claws, but force with a sturdy hardness can rip skin and pull on muscles and the such-ish.

I presume that a dog will use momentum and its weight in attacking (first strike). Therefore, it pushes high, lands on and is in optimum tool use position.

I could do a hand down the throat thing but get cut by at least one tooth and clawed while it's gagging. Except for the hurt it and it goes, principle.

To get the legs to seperate you either picked them in the air before it landed as it attacked or while it is intimidating you.

Dogs seem to prefer threat over fight. Perhaps you can use this to an advantage if you see it as a truth too.

When leaping at me I should beware of the rear legs used as a lower attack like velosiraptors in some years recent dinosaur DNA talkie. I'm thinking succes to a dog leaping attack might depend on the target backing-up. If I stepped forward or to the side somewhat it might lose it's weight on me advantage with it's momentum. Here a grab of the skin under its throat/mouth to perhaps slam it 's head to the ground might be something, causing it to flip somewhat.

They seem to take pain. a punch to the ribs might not be enough to deter, and a slam to the ground might also not be enough.

They seem territory minded, just go on about your business. They'll growl and posture but migh not attack besides positioning and barking.

The structure of a dog jaw seems to have a zone in the middle side where there are fewer sharp teeth and even nearly no teeth.
If you can busy their mouth wit your forearm in ths near empty tooth zone, mountthe dog as one mounts a horse and kneel on it's back then press the neck. This sort of position takes away their use of momentum teeth and claws. But they still have strength of design andleverage using the ground. Perhaps control the head at the top of the neck pressing it forward to hinder turning. It can't smell you as well and it cant see you. It can hear you and feel you but this position might be preferable to the dog on top you face up facing its growling mouth.

SiuHung
02-09-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by No_Know

Part of seeing fighting a dog is they have claws also. What I read so far in this thread has been jaws centered. They are not necessarily as fine as domestic feline claws, but force with a sturdy hardness can rip skin and pull on muscles and the such-ish.

The structure of a dog jaw seems to have a zone in the middle side where there are fewer sharp teeth and even nearly no teeth.
If you can busy their mouth wit your forearm in ths near empty tooth zone, [/B]

Dogs are jaw centric...meaning that their mouth is to them like our hands are to us. Yes they have claws, but these are not thier main weapons.
To that end, dogs, certain breeds in particular , can produce tremendous power in their bite. I have a Rotweiller-German Sheperd mix, if he wanted to he could easily crush the bones in my arm with his bite. Fortunately he is well trained and accepts my authority.
However, never willingly allow an angry dog to take your arm in its mouth. Yell at it, hit it with a big heavy stick, or kick it like there's no tomorrow, but do not wrestle with a vicious dog unless you like stiches and surgical repair. Another good tactic is when they jump at you...and they will, knee them square in the sternum.
Mike

Toby
02-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Xebsball
Nope, nope, no please. Have mercy on your arms/hands before you think of grabbing it behind the head and putting a big strong dog ina headlock.
Im a vet student, I work with all kinds of dogs plenty o time. Any angry dog can quickly turn and take your hand before you grab his neck.
Dont believe me?
A rottweiler almost took my hand last friday :D
And it was a small unatletic untrained diabetic rott. All i did was try to tuch the back of his neck cos he was letting go off the leash basicly and so on.
She just didnt take my hand cos - 1) i pulled off and it got my finger - 2) it was a defensive warning bite, not a destroying bite.
Point 2: theres a difference between playing/sparring with your dogs on the backyard and fighting an agressive dog coming towards you for a clear attack.
Oh yeah, try grabbin an attacking dogs front leg yeah right go for it boy :rolleyes: Xebs, my 1st paragraph was about wrestling excited-but-friendly dogs. I've been "chewed" plenty of times by my parents' dogs, but rarely have they broken the skin. In that friendly case, I go for the headlock because I'm not scared of being bitten.

If it was a life-or-death situation, then I'd be going for the breaking the legs option. I don't want to be anywhere near the head because its jaws are faster than I'll ever be. At least the legs move relatively slowly by comparison. I certainly wouldn't be trying to strike it. I've seen plenty of dog fights where the owners kick or belt their dogs to try to stop them and the dogs totally ignore the pain. To stop a dog in a life-or-death situation, I would be trying to incapacitate it. So it boils down to legs, eyes or neck for me. I'm going to avoid anywhere near the head because of the speed, so I'll try for the legs. Because the dog concentrates on its primary weapon (jaws), it will be less concious of what it's doing with its legs, too, apart from orienting them so it is always facing you with its "centreline". As to claw damage, I'm willing to take that. I would be very surprised if claws could do anything really serious in comparison to jaws. Only thing is that dogs can reach its front legs with its jaws, so you'd have to watch that. Back legs might be harder to reach, but they may be a safer target if you can get to them. Breaking the legs once you've got hold of them wouldn't require much force, I imagine.

However, in reality, faced with a large, aggressive rotty, I'd probably be ****ing my pants and running for my life :D.

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-09-2004, 10:50 PM
rtb ....
GDA - well, that's a general lesson for all: don't **** with satan.

speaking of which, got any pictures of the pup? i'm just a fan o' sheppies, and the fiancée and i are going to get one from heidelberg when we get hitched.

this one (http://users.1st.net/abaddon/satan.jpg) is pretty terrible quality. i was just ****in around with my digital camcorder and snapped a shot. i quickly learned that they aren't that great for still shots in ****ty lighting.

i got a real good one i just put in my bag that ill scan at work tomorrow.

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-10-2004, 02:31 PM
don't **** with my kid. (http://users.1st.net/abaddon/satanadora2.jpg)

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-10-2004, 02:34 PM
... or satan's little buddy (http://users.1st.net/abaddon/satandagon3.jpg)

norther practitioner
02-10-2004, 02:49 PM
My dog looks a bit like Satan, but all black (and prob. a bit smaller, only like 68-72 lbs), I call him Onyx, go figure.

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-10-2004, 03:43 PM
what breed is onyx?

satan's a shepherd though most people mistake him for a lab because of his color. he goes about 95lbs and still has a lot of filling out to do. i figure hell cap out around 105 maybe 110.

IronFist
02-11-2004, 01:53 AM
Some interesting info in this thread. Good discussion.

rubthebuddha
02-11-2004, 09:59 AM
GDA -- **** fine shep. how old is he?

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-11-2004, 10:20 AM
thanks man. he'll be two on april 2nd. im hoping to buy a house eary this summer so i can get him a satan-sized buddy before he get's any older.

rubthebuddha
02-11-2004, 11:28 AM
coo. satan needs a pal. otherwise, he'll take it out on your furniture.

question: how typical is the near-all-black coloration? most sheps i know are mainly black on their back and brownish most everywhere else, with a couple black spots.

another question: how well does adora get along with him? i'm gonna have at least one shep around when i get hitched, and my fiancée wants at least 847 kiddos ...

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-12-2004, 02:52 PM
anyone that satan doesn't know well is allowed within 50 feet of adora.
this is a rule that he enforces strictly and with as much hostility as is
required. adora has an aunt that will never come to our house again because
she walked in holding adora's hand the first time satan met her. he was on
his chain, but it reaches halfway into the kitchen and the woman looked like
she was going to have a heart attack.

he's also very gentle with her. she can do anything she wants to him,
including taking food from his mouth, without so much as the occasional
grunt. the only exception is that if he gets excited and she gets in the
way there's a chance he might accidentally knock her over, but that's not a
big deal and it's also very rare. i have heard much of the same from
various shepherd owners with kids, but there is a flipside. they are great
with your kids, but they can definitely be over protective.

it's funny when satan growls at me for playing rough with adora, but it's
not so funny if he does that to someone else's kid. one time adora and a
much older kid were bouncing on my bed and satan actually headbutted the kid
to turn him around and nipped him lightly on the ass. i saw the entire
thing happen and he intentionally turned the kid around to get to his ass.
the kid didn't even have a red mark from it, but because it happened he's no
longer around other children. he has to be locked up if company comes over
with kids because i refuse to take the risk. it was kind of funny what he
did to that kid, but next time could be different.

my point is that they make great family dogs, but you have to watch some of
them around company because of their protective nature. not all of them go
overboard like satan does, but it's not uncommon either. i would recommend
shepherds highly to anyone who is responsible enough to bother knowing their
dog at all and honest enough to admit if he can be a threat. making excuses
or ignoring overprotective behavior is a serious danger. again, there are a
lot of shepherds that have no problem watching your children play with
others and will not show a single bit of aggressive behavior unless there is
a serious threat. from my understanding this is much more common than sheps
like satan, but you have to know your dog. that's true of any big dog but
it's even more crucial with breeds that tend to be protective like sheps. i wouldn't trade satan for any other dog in the world, but i also understand that he has to be watched around strangers. to work on this i plan on taking him to the park this summer while adora plays with many other children ..... muzzled.

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-12-2004, 02:55 PM
christ ... i was that long windded and didnt even bother to answer all your questions.

satan's not quite all black, but all black isn't quite rare. it's not common either but you can find breaders that specialize in them with a quick google search. satans dad is actually pure white so satan has white markings on his legs and tail.

i do want to get him a buddy, but he's awesome about the furniture. the only time he acts up is if we are gone for more than a couple hours. he'll actually pull all pillows and sheets off of the bed, as well as all the pillows from the couch, and distribute them at random throughout the house. he doesn't tear them up or anything .... he just makes a huge mess. he'll only do this if we are gone for longer than 3 or 4 hours.

norther practitioner
02-12-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
what breed is onyx?

satan's a shepherd though most people mistake him for a lab because of his color. he goes about 95lbs and still has a lot of filling out to do. i figure hell cap out around 105 maybe 110.

Mutt

Shep and I think Collie.....

He's all black minus about 12 white hairs on his chest.

Yum Cha
02-12-2004, 04:24 PM
Growing up in rural (not any more) Albuquerque, as a little guy (under 10), I learned real quick that picking up and brandishing a stone, or a stick, usually sent a dog packing. Even faking picking up a rock was enough. Granted, these weren't attack dogs, just the local mean ones.

I once saw a guy kill a junkyard dog that came out of nowhere and attacked us by holding up his arm, letting the dog ( a shepard) get a hold, then putting his other arm behind the dogs head and flipping the dogs head up and back, breaking its neck. It happened in a flash, and yes, the dude was a pretty bad dude.

Of couse, I'm not sure how that would work with a Staffordshire Terrier or some of those other little purpose built fighters.

norther practitioner
02-12-2004, 05:03 PM
Growing up in rural (not any more) Albuquerque

I can attest to some mean ass dogs around there...

A few of us were walking through this one neighborhood and like two strays came after us... I hit one with a rock and they both took off.

rubthebuddha
02-12-2004, 05:21 PM
gda -- darn right about sheps being protective. we had a shep/collie mix, and she was the best at taking care of my bro and i. my fiancée's parents' shep has a very strong overprotective streak, as no one other than the immediate family can be in the house without having the dog upset. outside in the park, he's great, but inside is a different story. it ****es me off, because i love dogs, sheps in particular, so the thought of a dog not liking me just doesn't seem right.

the worse thing? only one of his chimes dropped, so he may have some frustration/hormonal problems. because of this singularity, the family nicknamed him "uno."

Toby
02-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Yum Cha
Of couse, I'm not sure how that would work with a Staffordshire Terrier or some of those other little purpose built fighters. Staffy's are scary :eek: I've known a lot of them, and once their jaws lock, they stay locked. I knew an owner who'd hold a stick, the staffy would lock on, he'd pick up the stick and swing it around and the staffy would be holding on refusing to let go, swinging around.

GDA, Satan sounds scary :eek:. Big, too. I almost thought that photo was photoshopped he looked so big. My parents have always had shepherd *****es, so they've never been nearly as big as Satan. We want a dog now, but can't afford what we want. Something like a Pyrenean mountain dog maybe. Even bigger than Satan ;).

IronFist
02-13-2004, 01:01 AM
GDA, if someone was reading this and didn't know Satan was the name of your dog, they'd be like "wtf?" It'd be hilarious :D

satan's not quite all black

it's funny when satan growls at me for playing rough with adora

one time adora and a much older kid were bouncing on my bed and satan actually headbutted the kid

not all of them go overboard like satan does

And if the person reading was dyslexic and misread "dog" for "god," this sentence would be funny and disturbing:

i wouldn't trade satan for any other dog in the world

:D

norther practitioner
02-13-2004, 11:01 AM
and once their jaws lock, they stay locked

:rolleyes:
Urban legend...
But yes, they are very strong.

Gangsterfist
02-13-2004, 11:20 AM
Apparently bull dogs got their names from fighting bulls. It was in a controlled invorment with pens of course. The bull dog would grasp onto the bulls head or horns with its huge jaws (I have had 2 bull dogs and their jaws are huge, they could both easily almost fit my whole head in their mouth) and would lock them on the bull. Now if a bull dog can lock its jaw a on BULL then I am sure a human is no problem. Bull dogs are not the biggest/strongest dogs either, but it is said they do have some of the strongest jaws.

norther practitioner
02-13-2004, 11:24 AM
They don't "lock" there jaws.. there skeletal structure around the skull may be stronger and there jaw muscles may be stronger, but they do not "lock"

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-13-2004, 11:36 AM
lmao ... the preschool teacher thing is still the best though.

if you dont remember, adora's preschool teacher approached suzi and said, "you know, i have to ask you .... why is adora telling the other children she loves satan?"

i still get a giggle out of that.

norther practitioner
02-13-2004, 11:44 AM
GDA, thats one of those priceless quotes...

I weighed Onyx again last night, I guess he filled out a bit more now.. he's up to about 76lbs...

Doesn't look it though..

KWUsCRD
02-13-2004, 12:01 PM
I was told when I was younger to go after the ears of the dog.

Grab and twist them. I'm not sure why this would work but it supposedly does.

Also theres a few pitbulls in the neighborhood and I was told when I was younger that your supposed to stomp on their feet when they are attacking you, which forces a yelp out of them and the reaction prevents them from "locking down" on you.

I'm not sure if that is true but that is what I have been told.

norther practitioner
02-13-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by KWUsCRD
I was told when I was younger to go after the ears of the dog.

Grab and twist them. I'm not sure why this would work but it supposedly does.

Also theres a few pitbulls in the neighborhood and I was told when I was younger that your supposed to stomp on their feet when they are attacking you, which forces a yelp out of them and the reaction prevents them from "locking down" on you.

I'm not sure if that is true but that is what I have been told.

Just be glad you weren't attacked.

Toby
02-15-2004, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
(paraphrasing)... jaws don't lock ... Um, yeah, I didn't mean they literally lock like you can't get them to open at all. I meant they are extremely strong which went hand in hand with my story of the guy swinging the dog around on the stick. I probably should've used a few :eek:'s.

I've always found that opening dog's jaws is possible if you grip on each side of the back end of their jaw with a finger and thumb and press. That's how you give them medicine (tablets), anyway. I dunno about a dog which is determined to clamp down as opposed to reluctant to take their medicine.

Tiger_Yin
02-15-2004, 01:45 PM
i personally think people tend to not want to harm animals as they would to a human...

hit the nose or paws really.. those are the weakest spots on a dog or kick in the ribs. Same things that aply to humans really but since theres not really been any training for animals peopel get scared... i adore animals.. if a dog attacks me ill make sure he doesnt do it ever again :)

Liokault
02-15-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Tiger_Yin

hit the nose or paws really.. those are the weakest spots on a dog or kick in the ribs. Same things that aply to humans really but since theres not really been any training for animals peopel get scared.

This is kind of true, but in reality when you miss a punch on a human you can try again........with a dog (thats charging at you from knee height at 25 MPH) if you miss that first one you have a 75 lb dog biting with 500 lb of shaking force on your forearm.

The thing with dogs in not to train in ways to kill them, but to be aware of how dogs react in a given situation and how you can make that work to keep you safe.

Now if that fails, by all means think of ways to hurt the dog, but don't expect much success from ear twisting or paw stamping (dogs probably hanging from your arm anyway).

The only physical thing that I have heard that sounds close to reality is that if a dog has hold of a part of your body, a hand say, you will never just pull it out until the dog is ready to let go. So what you do is push the hand as far into the dogs mouth/throat as it will go to get a gag reaction.

Personally I wouldn't want to try it.

IronFist
02-16-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Liokault
So what you do is push the hand as far into the dogs mouth/throat as it will go to get a gag reaction.

Sounds like it would be hard to do if the teeth were in your arm. You couldn't push it down its throat without the teeth ripping your skin, and that's if you could even move it.

What if a dog was running at you and you tried to kick it, and you mis-aimed your kick and the dog went inside of it and lept and bit you in the nuts? That would suck so bad. :eek: :(

Liokault
02-16-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by IronFist

Sounds like it would be hard to do if the teeth were in your arm. You couldn't push it down its throat without the teeth ripping your skin, and that's if you could even move it.
(

Like I said it wa not a perfect answer.

IronFist
02-16-2004, 01:47 AM
Maybe you could grab it's tongue or something. I dunno? I don't want to be in that situation to find out.

Liokault
02-16-2004, 02:15 AM
I just tried it on my cat....it seems to work lol.