PDA

View Full Version : Valuable Lesson Reinforced Today

Ford Prefect
02-09-2004, 08:00 AM
So I got to my gym this morning and the freakin thing wasn't open yet because of some shift screw-up with the employees. Finally after sitting in the parking lot for a 1/2 hour, somebody comes to open up. By this time, I'm thinking I have to rush through my workout to get to work on time. I do my warm-up and head to the free weight room.

I was only doing very light lifting to focus on form and because I was doing an intense kettlebell session afterward. When I get to my power clean & jerks, my mind is floating around because I'm impatient. It's hard to explain but in the squat rack where I unrack the weight, I either have to walk away and do them or stay tight to the rack because the ground is a little uneven right there. Because I'm hurrying I decide to stay tight to the rack which is hampering my form even more, not to mention it's a light weight, so I'm not respecting it.

For those not familiar with the jerk, it's more of a throw than a press. You explode up through your legs and throw the weight over your head. So I'm doing this trying to keep close to my body so I don't hit the rack. Stupid me having my mind floating around when !WHAP! I smashed the barbell directly into my chin. It felt like I had knocked some teeth out, so I run to the mirror and open my mouth. Luckily all my teeth are fine, but blood is pouring out of my mouth. I pull my lip down to see a huge gash in my gums which obviously got caught between my teeth as they smashed together.

So hear I am, lucky not to be knocked unconcious, bleeding profusely from my mouth in the middle of the gym. The cut wouldn't be any neater if I had sliced myself with a razor. I huddled over the water fountain for a few minutes rinsing and spitting and the bleeding eventually subsided. I ended up finishing my workout, but I can tell that I'll be in pain for a few days. All things considered, I think I got lucky.

The lesson that was reinforced is to always respect the weight. No matter how light or how easy it seems to lift. You can get distracted and twist a wrong way tearing muscles or knock yourself out through sheer stupidity. Bleh. I can still taste blood.

abobo
02-09-2004, 08:03 AM
I hit my chin a few weeks ago push-pressing a bar. That's probably the way most people learn.

Meat Shake
02-09-2004, 09:13 AM
I hitmyself with lots of things all the time.
I hit myself against lots of things all the time too.
I guess Im a little clumsy when I dont pay attention.
:)
Good to hear that your teeth didnt get smashed out at least. Bloody gums to keep your teeth sounds like a fair trade to me.
;)

Losttrak
02-09-2004, 09:40 AM
I didnt clean up my dumbbells once and when I when i was setting down the weights I mashed my thumb between another dumbbell. I went into shock after about a minutes time. Excruciating pain. The blood was welling up into my thumb soo it looked like a small balloon. I went to a nearby trainer and he went and grabbed a lighter and a paper clip. He heated the straightened clip and began working it into my thumbnail. He was pushing pretty hard until it popped through into the soft interior.... OUCH!!!!!!!! Blood spewed out of the new hole in my nail like a miniature geyser. Nasty shiyit. Felt alot better after that. =D

rubthebuddha
02-09-2004, 09:46 AM
eeeeeeeek. that not good ford. thanks for the reminder. i hope we all have good imaginations that'll help us imagine your lesson without us having to learn it the hard way. and moreso, i hope it all heals soon.

as scrooge mcduck use to say all the time on duck tales, "work smarter, not harder." :)

IronFist
02-09-2004, 01:21 PM
Ford, did anyone see it happen?

Losttrak, eww.

One time I was using a biceps curl machine and it was one of those where there's the three pegs to put the weights on so you can make either the beginning, middle, or end of ROM the hardest. I had it set so that the beginning of the motion would be the hardest, and I was kinda not paying attention and curling pretty hard at the beginning, and for some reason I had my head leaning way forward, and then all of a sudden it got past the hard point and became really easy and the bar that you grab flew up and I hit myself in the forehead. I didn't hit myself very hard cuz like I said, I wasn't really trying, but it definately surprised me and then I looked around to make sure no one else saw it happen.

At least I THINK that happened.

Ford Prefect
02-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Nope. Luckily because of that openning screw-up, most people that would be there got impatient and left before it openned. It was so deserted that I did my kettlebell stuff in the weight room. I usually do it in the basketball court to avoid the 1,000 questions I'll get doing them.

fa_jing
02-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Hey, I hit my forehead on the way up, doing Kettlebell jerks, not too long ago. Nothing serious, at least it wasn't on the way down! Stay aware, I guess.

Serpent
02-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Remember that story from a while back where David Lee Roth knocked himself out on stage with his mic stand while doing "a kung fu staff manoevre"?

:)