PDA

View Full Version : serious question about forum names

Shaolinlueb
02-09-2004, 07:16 PM
Why is the southern forum called "Southern Chinese Kung Fu" and the northern forum is called "Northern Praying Mantis" instead of "Northern Chinese Kung Fu"
there are a lot of styles in the north other than the Mantis. is it because Mantis is the most popular? then shouldn't the southern one be called Southern Hung Gar??
IMO :o

SanSoo Student
02-10-2004, 12:04 AM
Talk with the admins or Gene, to see if you can make a difference and change it.

SevenStar
02-10-2004, 12:28 AM
There's a shaolin forum - I bet most northern stuff is discussed there.

As for the southern forum, it's fine the way it is.

rubthebuddha
02-10-2004, 12:48 AM
i heard there's a feud going on between the southern mod and the training mod. something dealing with who ate the last salmon roll. :confused:

Sho
02-10-2004, 03:59 AM
I also think that the forum-categorization isn't logically organized. There should be a separate section for off-topic posts instead of having the main kung fu board as the place for subjects concerning either northern kung fu in general or off-topic posts that don't relate under any other board categories. It is also unfair that some systems get their own boards while others are required to use the main boards.

Ben Gash
02-10-2004, 06:11 AM
The southern forum used to be the southern mantis forum, but it became flame central, so it became the general southern board. However, this became very bogged down with Wing Chun technical topics (VERY boring for the rest of us), which is why I imagine the Wing Chun forum was born. Also, the Wing Chun forum is policed much more strongly than the rest, to prevent major flamage.
I too would like to see a northern board (The current two don't particularly service the majority, as one is specific mantis, and the other is often Monks, Monks, Monks) and an OT forum to make this one usable again.

GeneChing
02-10-2004, 10:24 AM
We inherited the forum as is pretty much from it's creator, Steve Creel (kungfuonline). The only thing that we added was the bottom forum on our publications. At the same time Steve added a TCM forum because he was interested in that. So the fundamental organization grew organically out of Steve's interests, then grew beyond his capability to maintain it (his site had no income and a forum this size costs money to store).

When we first took it over, it was on the condition that we preserve it. That was the whole point and we did so. We've considered migrating the forum around, shifting some focus. There's bben discussion of adding other forums too, like Northern, modern Wushu, Shuai Jiao, OT, etc. but frankly, our approach is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

BTW, this forum just cost us a new computer. Due to the forum's high traffic, that inundates our email with all sorts of spam, including MYDOOM, etc. We have a dedicated computer, fully firewalled and with solid virus protection in place, and it still crashes out about every year or so. That, plus the storage fees, well, it's not a free ride. Now you know why I'm always selling stuff here. Got to pay the rent.

Shaolinlueb
02-10-2004, 10:31 AM
hmmm

very interesting.
thanks guys. :D

Royal Dragon
02-10-2004, 11:23 AM
I thought the Kung Fu forum WAS the off topic, general disscission forum.

I think a Northern forum would be a good idea though, I mean we do have a Southern one after all.

Royal Dragon
02-10-2004, 11:25 AM
Oh one more thing,

I want to see a Wing Chun vs Choy Lay Fut forum that's moderated by Hungar guys!!! :eek: :D

SevenStar
02-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Ben Gash
and an OT forum to make this one usable again.

This is the OT forum - anything that doesn't fit into the other categories is discussed here and in the ORA. Technically, all of the MMA stuff should be posted in the ORA, but this one is more fun, as it gets more exposure.

SevenStar
02-10-2004, 12:49 PM
And yes, that punk of a mod from the training forum snatched my last salmon roll and ran

Kymus
02-10-2004, 08:57 PM
I aggree with 7*. The Kung Fu forum gets more traffic, so more people will see your post there. An off topic forum wouldn't work too well for most because I know I for one will not be checking that as often as I do the main one. People will still post things there that are off topic anyways. Quoted from Kristoffer: "I think he meant this other related arts board. The only problem is that most members hang around the Kung Fu board and if I want most responses, that's the board I use". That was in response to the ultra uber lengthy thread on how the Other Related Arts forum was "on the brink of death".

rubthebuddha
02-10-2004, 10:22 PM
And yes, that punk of a mod from the training forum snatched my last salmon roll and ran well, if the southern mod wasn't such a tart and would bother to share his tempura from time to time, these little problems wouldn't happen. :rolleyes:

:cool:

anton
02-11-2004, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by Royal Dragon
Oh one more thing,

I want to see a Wing Chun vs Choy Lay Fut forum that's moderated by Hungar guys!!! :eek: :D

Heheheh good idea, but something tells me it would end up like a dog fight where instead of fighting each other the dogs start chasing their own tails. :(

SevenStar
02-11-2004, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
well, if the southern mod wasn't such a tart and would bother to share his tempura from time to time, these little problems wouldn't happen. :rolleyes:

:cool:

I dunno....tempura is good stuff - what if I just shared some rice?

Shaolinlueb
02-11-2004, 07:11 AM
hmm ill take all your rice then 7*

rubthebuddha
02-11-2004, 10:11 AM
i don't need rice. we have a ginormous bag of jasmine rice in the pantry. i wanted that **** tempura, you bogarted, so your salmon roll got theftified. :D

GeneChing
02-11-2004, 01:27 PM
...is that everyone is equal even though there are so many of us that aren't equal. Some are better, some are worse. Most worse. :p This is a sideways method of commenting on the general lack of control of a forum. People will post whatever they want, wherever they want. Even though we have these forum catagories, stuff goes all over. Most of the stuff lately should really be in mixed martial arts, but you'll go nuts if you let the miscatagorized threads bother you. As a moderator, it's tempting to move them about, but to be honest, that's time and effort, which is better devoted to the real issues at hand, like censoring the really offensive stuff. We adopt a laissez faire attitude, for the most part. That's what keeps the forum vital. Seriously, if all we talked about here was martial arts, it'd be a lot less fun. And in my mind, once it stops being fun, it's time to move on.

We maintain this forum as a division of our publications because it is so alive and inteactive. It's about community, martial community, which embraces everything from how to take out a BJJ guy to sushi rice. We prefer to be informal here and we hope you enjoy it. If you do, we hope you support the magazine. (http://store.martialartsmart.net/19341.html) After all, what other magazine offers this kind of service for free?

Kymus
02-11-2004, 01:52 PM
i don't need rice. we have a ginormous bag of jasmine rice in the pantry. i wanted that **** tempura, you bogarted, so your salmon roll got theftified. :D

Have you ever had rice from the Philipenes? I used to have bag that was imported from there, awesome rice, really good!

Kymus
02-11-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing
And in my mind, once it stops being fun, it's time to move on.

Ya know Gene, I am really tempted to put that in my signature and also add "Gene's philosophy on Dendrohpelia (s e x with trees)" :-D ;)
I think you're right tho. I remember when things were getting moved all over the place, and it pizzed a lot of people off.

Kymus
02-11-2004, 02:01 PM
I think that Ralek should have his own forum to post on (and he can only post there) and he can "teach" us his wisdom and why he's invincible, etc. It should be moderated by MP and GDA, also. I mean think about it, the things that kid would say in there is a perfect way to end a frustrating day. The only other place on the net that would be just as funny would either have to be Strong Bad E-mails, or The Best Page In The Universe

kungfu cowboy
02-11-2004, 02:42 PM
something dealing with who ate the last salmon roll

What the heck is that from!? Sounds familiar.

norther practitioner
02-11-2004, 02:43 PM
I think there should be a kung fu forum... oh wait, this isn't a grapplers forum....

rubthebuddha
02-11-2004, 03:36 PM
kung fu cowboy -- i pulled that outta my bum, so any similarity to it and real events is strictly coincidental. ;)

seriously, sevenstar and i chat on a regular basis, and the pure goodness of sushi is a regular topic.

rubthebuddha
02-11-2004, 03:41 PM
kfc -- are you thinking of the mighty sharky's old sig, "all i wanted was a rice cake. now, we must battle!"

norther practitioner
02-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Seriously about sushi.. the best piece I've ever had was a salmon piece in a market in Helsinki, Finland....
The Sushi Den here in Denver is awsome... better than a lot of coastal places I've been.

SevenStar
02-11-2004, 03:59 PM
the best piece I've ever had was.....

Oh wait, we're talking about sushi. Nevermind.

anton
02-11-2004, 05:39 PM
seriously, sevenstar and i chat on a regular basis, and the pure goodness of sushi is a regular topic.

Sashimi is superior :cool:

GeneChing
02-12-2004, 10:46 AM
What the?! do you mean dendrophilia?

"You don't like my rice?" Chow Yun Fat

Kymus
02-12-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by GeneChing
What the?! do you mean dendrophilia?

"You don't like my rice?" Chow Yun Fat

Sure that too, lol!

norther practitioner
02-12-2004, 10:54 AM
dendrophelia.. what is that.. tree humping?

Kymus
02-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
dendrophelia.. what is that.. tree humping?

from what I know, it's where you enjoy having sex with trees. So, yea, that's exactly what it is :)