PDA

View Full Version : The problem with mma events...

KC Elbows
02-10-2004, 10:00 AM
A friend of mine was watching some local mma fights, and he commented to me that the fights were really boring because of what he called "a lot of embracing". He also commented on how the rules weren't at all like the ufc, and that boxing was much more exciting to watch, because boxers generally only hug for a minute here or there, and the ref, enforcing local mores, breaks it up and makes them fight again, whereas mma refs appear more liberal in enforcing sexual roles among fighters.

What are your thoughts?

Also, do you feel that local levels of mma tourneys are generally less realistic than perhaps commonly thought?

Knifefighter
02-10-2004, 10:41 AM
Yeah, you are right. Some promoters in the area around here are putting together some new events that promise to be more realistic with new rules that are sure to captivate the public. Only fighters who hop around like dying bugs will be allowed to participate.

Ford Prefect
02-10-2004, 10:53 AM
I agree and I'm an MMA fan. Even for me, the clinch and ground freezes can get boring and tiresome. IMO, this is the main factor why it will never go mainstream. It's just too **** boring.

Liokault
02-10-2004, 10:55 AM
Has this "friend" ever watched any san Shou LOL:D

Archangel
02-10-2004, 11:01 AM
whereas mma refs appear more liberal in enforcing sexual roles among fighters

LMAO!!!

Liokault
02-10-2004, 11:04 AM
The REAL problem with MMA is not enough tactical folders! May be there is no where to clip them with out spoiling the line of the figure hugging underwear?

KC Elbows
02-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Liokault
Has this "friend" ever watched any san Shou LOL:D

I'm trying to call him to ask, but his line was busy.

Liokault
02-10-2004, 11:18 AM
See with San Shou, you only embrace for 5 seconds before you are seperated. I think that this is what keeps hom.osexuals away from SS......I mean you dont see anyone posting links to gHay San Shou sites do you?....I guess this also means that boxers must be straight to!

Ikken Hisatsu
02-10-2004, 12:50 PM
well even UFC is pretty **** boring. and yes its the reason it wont go mainstream- people dont want to watch two guys hugging on the ground for five minutes straight. boxing, K-1, san shou, all make far more entertaining viewing. half the fights I see one of the competitors just gets frustrated at the other guy for continually going to the ground and hugging them instead of actually fighting.

as for me I could never do MMA, waaaaay too much time spent with another man between your legs.

Merryprankster
02-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Don't worry. If you don't do a significant amount MMA or something like newaza, then you won't have to spend long between another man's legs at all. After he's done choking you out, breaking a joint, or turning you over and beating your face in, he'll probably get up and leave. I say this only half-jestingly because I really believe that to be "complete" as a fighter you've got to have a basic knowledge of the ground game...

I do agree that MMA is like watching real wrestling--you have to be educated to understand what's going on. Watching two people hit each other doesn't take much education in boxing or kickboxing to appreciate. Who the **** knows what a Kimura to Triangle to Omoplata set up looks like and why are they hugging each other like that?

Liokault
02-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Merryprankster

Who the **** knows what a Kimura to Triangle to Omoplata set up looks like and why are they hugging each other like that?

Very good point here MP, who the hell knows.

Pork Chop
02-10-2004, 12:58 PM
The posturing and comparing respective sizes is still retarded

Liokault
02-10-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by BMore Banga
The posturing and comparing respective sizes is still retarded

If you have got somthing against retards, go to some other forum.

Merryprankster
02-10-2004, 01:02 PM
Yeah, but Liokault,

WHY ARE THEY HUGGING EACH OTHER LIKE THAT?!

Liokault
02-10-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
Yeah, but Liokault,

WHY ARE THEY HUGGING EACH OTHER LIKE THAT?!

What grown men do behind closed doors or on PPV TV is none of my business.

Pork Chop
02-10-2004, 01:11 PM
I love retards... I love them with every part of my body, even my peepee.

SifuAbel
02-10-2004, 01:23 PM
MP, this thread isn't about being an effective uberfighter, its about entertainment.

When even your most ardent fans are saying the event is boring, that event is going to fade into history rather quickly.

Has UFC, as it is now, seen its peak? And, is it now fading?

As a fight fan, not speaking as a fighter, I want to see things that excite me. Good boxing or even good kickboxing is better than, lets say, K-1. Which to me, imho as a fan, is a slop fest between the freakishly big. Give me a flyweight bout between two excellent technical boxers anyday.

What is the current, if any, stalemate time allowed?

Bottom line, people want to see action IN MOTION.

Suntzu
02-10-2004, 01:33 PM
alot of mma fan boys think k-1 is boring.......

CaptinPickAxe
02-10-2004, 01:36 PM
The only way to cure retardos is with the warm, golden cure. Only with your urine can we be curin'.Drop by precious drop. So Get up and pee in a cup. And Remember.....

Retardos Number One Forever!

TAO YIN
02-10-2004, 01:44 PM
Merry said;

"After he's done choking you out, breaking a joint, or turning you over and beating your face in, he'll probably get up and leave."

**** Merry, that is hella cool graphic. Sounds like cool rules. I respect the tourney

Be cautious of doing this to someone on the street though, unless you are truly comitted to killing said someone. When they get their joints all healed, and assuming they live through the choke and the beating, they will probably just find you and shoot you in the head.

Of course I say that jestingly.

However, I remember in high school, a nice, quiet, wrestler friend of mine, beat this bully up for name calling and whatnot. This bully had picked on dude's girl and on lots of others in the school as well. Anyways, the wrestler messed the bully up pretty good. About 2 weeks later, it was cruise night, you know...people hanging out here and there, this parking lot that parking lot, da da da.. anyways, the bully walked up behind my friend, and as soon as my friend turned around, the bully pulled out a 9 and blew my friend's brains out, all over the parking lot. Beautiful world huh?

Tao

Shiot Happens, Regularly.

CaptinPickAxe
02-10-2004, 01:48 PM
Life's a b!tch...and if its not someone will be more than happy to make it that way.

backbreaker
02-10-2004, 02:19 PM
I rarely find UFC to be boring. I don't think groundfighting is always boring and people know how to stand up and get back to their feet. The last Pride sucked but it still had an environment of excitement( That masked mexican wrestler is horrble). Can't think of any boxing match that interests me. I don't know about people who know nothing about fighting though, I think they wanna see blood and knockouts. I am always looking at different things and trying to predict what will happen next. As for too much hugging, I just see that as open opportunity to do things that haven't been seen too much, kind of like when someones hands are down.

Merryprankster
02-10-2004, 05:41 PM
MP, this thread isn't about being an effective uberfighter, its about entertainment.

When even your most ardent fans are saying the event is boring, that event is going to fade into history rather quickly.

Has UFC, as it is now, seen its peak? And, is it now fading?

As a fight fan, not speaking as a fighter, I want to see things that excite me. Good boxing or even good kickboxing is better than, lets say, K-1. Which to me, imho as a fan, is a slop fest between the freakishly big. Give me a flyweight bout between two excellent technical boxers anyday.

What is the current, if any, stalemate time allowed?

Bottom line, people want to see action IN MOTION.

Hi! I'm SifuAbel and I hate MMA! I can't admit it might be doing well! (it is) I can't admit that it has adherents across the country and new promotions are popping up because there is still money to be made! (there are) Competition Wushu...that's where it's at!!!

MMA can be phenomenally boring for people who don't understand what they are seeing. Hell, I love wrestling and sometimes its boring. It looks dreadful to people who don't have any clue.

There's a pretty solid group of fans. And more people who understand the sport are getting produced because MMA is still growing. It will probably hit a wall extent but I think it will fare significantly better than American style kickboxing...which sucks. And quite frankly, the Japanese, Russians and Brazilians will keep it alive if nobody else does. They LOVE the stuff.

I do love lightweight boxing though. Great stuff. Heavy's, except for Klitschko are usually boring.

SifuAbel
02-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Awwww, boo boo, don't be ****y, its just a show.

Now calm down and take your pill.

Merryprankster
02-10-2004, 05:50 PM
The last time I took my pill, the stiffness didn't go down for three days.

I think I'll let you have the stash back if it's all the same.

SifuAbel
02-10-2004, 06:03 PM
Ok, stay limp, see if I care.

backbreaker
02-10-2004, 06:06 PM
Honestly IMO the L.A. vs. Miami basketball game on is more boring than UFC or Pride. But I don't like how people think all kungfu sucks because some does, or even that it can't fight the mexican wrestler or Gan McGee. Of course just my limited opinion

Lowlynobody
02-10-2004, 07:56 PM
However, I remember in high school, a nice, quiet, wrestler friend of mine, beat this bully up for name calling and whatnot. This bully had picked on dude's girl and on lots of others in the school as well. Anyways, the wrestler messed the bully up pretty good. About 2 weeks later, it was cruise night, you know...people hanging out here and there, this parking lot that parking lot, da da da.. anyways, the bully walked up behind my friend, and as soon as my friend turned around, the bully pulled out a 9 and blew my friend's brains out, all over the parking lot. Beautiful world huh?

Put that in your guard and smoke it, eh bro?