PDA

View Full Version : How many of "you all," and MMAers especially, have...

TAO YIN
02-11-2004, 09:41 PM
How many of you forum users have ever been in a serious streetfight? Also, how many of you MMAers, have been in a serious streetfight, with a TMA person?? Also, how many of you MMAers have gone into a TMA school and dropped a challenge? Could you please tell your stories? What happened? Was either party seriously injured? Who got the better? Were there witnesses involved? etc... NOTE: ring fights and sparring matches do not count.

I asked the MMA guys especially, because I consider myself a mma guy so to speak, so I just wanted to know about some of your experiences.

thank you

TAO

blooming lotus
02-12-2004, 01:24 AM
is there something you wanna tell us?......all friends here ;)

just kidding...have but talking out of school is just not on ...sorry dude

ps.pls others dont be put off my words...share if you gotta :cool:

blooming lotus
02-12-2004, 01:26 AM
actually, that's probably a bit harsh..is there a particular reason you want thses balls, blood and glory yarns?

manofkent
02-12-2004, 02:58 AM
A few years ago i heard of this fighting gym/shcool in a ruff area near my home town. Aparently they put u in a ring for 6 X 3min rounds against one of there advanced students. he beats the crap out of u, then if u last till the end u are allowed to be a student.

One of my mates got his arm and two ribs broken in 30 seconds, and was a bit ****ed off bout it. So i went along, played rope-a-dope for a bit, and i saw that this guy really wanted to hurt me. I managed to take him down a few times and he gave up in the 5th round.

But then the teacher was so insulted that he wanted to teach me a lesson. I declined his challenge because i was tired and I knew that if i lost i would be in hospital for a few weeks after. It all ended with me and my mate tearing down the street in my clio, being chased be three car fulls of nutters. luckily we were all stopped by the police and the club was shut down.

Did i do the right thing????

DragonzRage
02-12-2004, 03:34 AM
"Also, how many of you MMAers have gone into a TMA school and dropped a challenge? Could you please tell your stories? What happened?"

A girl I dated very briefly trained at some traditional Korean MA place (the master taught a mix of TKD and hwa rang do or something to that extent). A lot of the stuff she described that they did sounded like crap for a real fight. And I was kind of worried for her because she actually seemed convinced that a lot of it would work, and she was especially convinced about how great her master was. So I sat in on a couple of her classes. She wanted to show me that they did do practical training, so she brought me to one of their sparring sessions (or what passed for sparring over there, anyway). After watching the instructor and his black belts move around I was pretty much convinced that I could take any of them without much trouble. After the class one of the assistant instructors starts talking to me and asks me what i thought of their training. I said I liked it and that I'd be really interested to pay one class fee to jump in on one of their sparring sessions. Keep in mind that I was very respectful about it and presented myself simply as someone who was interested in learning. I didn't mouth off or directly challenge him. I'd consider it disrespectful to walk into someone's club and bluntly challenge them to a confrontation. I don't go around looking for weak schools to beat on or anything like that. If I wanted to be a punk, there's plenty of real fighting gyms that I could walk into talking trash and get my a$$ handed to me.

The only reason I wanted to work in on a sparring session with these guys was that I wanted to show my friend that if she wants to learn to fight, she'd be better off sticking to more practical methods. Aside from that, I was genuinely curious as to how much of their stuff these guys would be able to pull off on me. I was pretty certain most of it would go out the window, but you never know until you actually give them a chance, right?

Anyway, as soon as I mentioned the idea of jumping in to spar the guy got a little defensive. But I guess I can't blame him. I had walked in off the street and watched their workout, but he still had no clue about what I do. He told me very curtly that it would not be a good idea for anyone to just come in and start doing the sparring immediately. He tried to explain to me that not being familiar with all their techniques, there was a good chance I could get myself hurt and that if I don't have properly trained control, I could end up hurting one of their students as well. Anyhow, you always have to respect the house rules, and so I didn't push the issue any further. So I guess the moral of the story is that its not that simple to walk around "challenging" different schools. A friend of mine did something similar to me (similar tone, politeness, etc) at some other traditional school and the teacher flipped out and threatened to call the police on him. I'm used to the boxing gym atmosphere where anyone willing to gear up can find a sparring partner. But most martial arts schools aren't like that.

manofkent
02-12-2004, 03:52 AM
I did hap-ki-do and TKD for a few months each. i walked out of the TKD class after the tutor told me not to kick so hard, incase i got disqualifyed.!!!!!!

WTF????

SevenStar
02-12-2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by manofkent
I did hap-ki-do and TKD for a few months each. i walked out of the TKD class after the tutor told me not to kick so hard, incase i got disqualifyed.!!!!!!

WTF????

that happens. It's happened to me in karate tournies. it's light contact sparring.

Christopher M
02-12-2004, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by TAO YIN
how many of you MMAers, have been in a serious streetfight, with a TMA person?

Do TMA people wear school jerseys everywhere they go where you live?

Or could you just tell because of the stances and the screaming of the technique names?

manofkent
02-12-2004, 07:09 AM
Whats MMA and TMA.

Sorry but ive only bin here a few weeks and not picked up the lingo yet

Christopher M
02-12-2004, 07:11 AM
Mighty Masculine Aggression and Timid Mouthy Avoidance.

KC Elbows
02-12-2004, 07:13 AM
mixed martial arts and traditional martial arts

Ray Pina
02-12-2004, 07:18 AM
Been in a number of street fights. I do know one of them was with a state champ wrestler (tough guy in town) and one was a karate guy. The others were just regular guys. When I was younger I knew most of them from around town. When I got older they were strangers.

Never challenged a school though I'd really like to but know it's not the right thing to do. Instead I just keep walking by the big window when going to Starbucks and hope they can feel my snickering and one day will invite me in.

Folks do come by my master's place quite regularly. There has been a recent run of BJJ guys coming by.

For me, I'm not a trouble maker. I've walked away from many more fights than the ones my ego got the best of me. I took less **** when I was younger. Today, the other's stupidity is amusing to me and his own punishment. Now you have to try to touch me.

Christopher M
02-12-2004, 07:19 AM
Really, EF? Has there been much interest in internal methods from non-CMA people, once they see them?

KC Elbows
02-12-2004, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Christopher M
Really, EF? Has there been much interest in internal methods from non-CMA people, once they see them?

My teacher's bro is a recon marine, and he talked my teacher up to his unit, so my teacher did a seminar for the group a while back. It went very well, and he's done another one this week for them. This is a group who has previously done a bit of bjj that they practice a lot(in otherwords, small base, worked on obsessively). What they liked about my teacher's method was the approach to using peng and loi to break down an opponent's guard(standing) and control the clinch. I believe this week, he's showing them options for dealing close quarters damage in the clinch, but I may be mistaken about that, he's doing two separate seminars and I may be mixing up one with the other.

I think most reasonable fighters are interested in whatever seems to work, regardless of source.

manofkent
02-12-2004, 07:33 AM
CMA and BJJ???????

KC Elbows
02-12-2004, 07:44 AM
Chinese martial arts and brazilian jiu jitsu.

If you're asking about the combo of the two styles, keep in mind that these marines are not setting about to master either, but simply to have a set of tactics that works for them.

Liokault
02-12-2004, 07:49 AM
I belive KC elbows has a friend (yeah right!), who was just pondering the problem of TCMA guys fighting MMA guys.

KC Elbows
02-12-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Liokault
I belive KC elbows has a friend (yeah right!), who was just pondering the problem of TCMA guys fighting MMA guys.

My friend was just hit by a car, but thanks for mentioning him, you callous *******!

...but, before the car struck, he did see a fight between an average bjj guy and an average wing chun guy. He said it was entirely unexpected; it was, and I'm quoting his last words before he slipped into a deep coma, like "watching old men fighting over a widow- slow, weak, and with the distinct odor of soiled diapers."

Although I was not there, I believe we can all count on the reliability of my friend as a witness. He was a boy scout once and all.

Christopher M
02-12-2004, 07:59 AM
That's great! Touching hands to feel some peng from a good internalist is the recipe for getting hooked on those arts.

KC Elbows
02-12-2004, 08:00 AM
And before someone jumps in and says that's merely anecdotal evidence, my friend just tells the things he sees in his daily life. He would never do something like tell me an anecdote or maxim because, like he always said, "The proof is in the pudding".

manofkent
02-12-2004, 08:01 AM
Whats the problem?

Im pretty new to forums and didnt know what MMA and TMA and all that stood for.

Ray Pina
02-12-2004, 08:04 AM
Some have joined the school and stayed, some joint and leave and others we never see again.

The biggest disapointment: I beat my old S Mantis senior training brother after studying with my master for about 2 years.

He felt what I felt when one of my teacher's students beat me: it was the technology, not me, that beat him. He's bigger, faster, ect.

After two months of training he walked away, frustrated. He had a hard time starting over. And it's really not starting over, it's making some adjustments. The biggest change is in aproach, mindset.

It's like any style. Some love it, others don't.

KC Elbows
02-12-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Christopher M
That's great! Touching hands to feel some peng from a good internalist is the recipe for getting hooked on those arts.

Yeah, that's where I think many internalists go wrong. They glorify all sorts of other semi mystical semi philosophical stuff, and forget that the contact is where it's all proven or disproven. And that's not a slam on those who hold the related philosophies- more, that those philosophies inspired it by the way the action takes place, and if you can't make the action take place, then the rest is useless to you in relations to your fighting.

There was probably a shorter way to say that.

manofkent
02-12-2004, 08:12 AM
"I belive KC elbows has a friend (yeah right!), who was just pondering the problem of TCMA guys fighting MMA guys."

Whats that about - from Liokault???

ShaolinTiger00
02-12-2004, 08:12 AM
I'm an MMA guy.

Been in several streetfights. most of the time there was never a black and white solution. Friends have stepped in, cops have tackled me. I did loose one fight very badly, but I call "foul". He suckered me with a pool stick across the face when I wasn't looking and never found out exactly what I did to make him angry. lesson: don't get too drunk around bikers you don't know.

I have no idea if they were TMA. I didn't ask.

I've walked into 2 TMA schools in the last year and had a challenge, though that wasn't my intention. (or was it?..)

one was a kempo school, and they had advertised "groundfighting" and "grappling" so I had to see it.. the instructor let me join in and i began to methodically dismantle his senior students. to save face he himself rolled with me and it was equally as lopsided a win. at one point he was getting desperate and began some foul tactics (grabbing for my eyes and mouth) and after I armbarred him I told him that if he wants to fight like this i would be happy to oblige and I cranked on his arm to emphasize my point. he stopped and so did I.

the other was a shuai chiao school. i approached him looking to change my mind on this art. instead i found a guy with more ego than I'm accustomed to. and when he began to start lying and make such grand claims as being a master in san shou and a national san shou champion.. i had to call him on it. we sparred and I threw him mercilessly. his students were immediately at attention and you could see it on their face that their bubble of illusion had been popped. he was so angry after the 3rd throw, that he kicked me out of his school literally yelling and cursing.

I don't think my experiences qualify me to say "all TMA suck!", but they do give me a general feeling that my own training methods are efficient and work well. that's all that matters. each man or woman has to find out for themselves what they want. not everyone interested in the martial arts wants to be a "killa". not everyone has that fighting spirit. but I believe that it is important for them to be AWARE of the truth about the style and teacher they choose.

KC Elbows
02-12-2004, 08:14 AM
"I belive KC elbows has a friend (yeah right!), who was just pondering the problem of TCMA guys fighting MMA guys."

Don't be alarmed, it's a running joke between us. Check some of my recent threads. My contributions to the forum are often masked in tongue in cheek humor, while Liokault's are masked in a whiskey haze.:D

red5angel
02-12-2004, 08:24 AM
so let me get this straight manofkent, you walked into a fighting school, kicked the crap out of their best student, declined to fight with their instructor, and was chased by them, but you don't know what TMA, MMA, BJJ or CMA means? My guess is you are full of $hit. Not trying to be offensive but...oh wait, yes I am. This thread is just begging for idiotic posts like that one you posted about having to beat some schools top student as a matter of honor. My guess is you do more internet cruising then training ;)

There are a few people who have been in some scraps on this board, and you can usually tell the difference. Fights aren't totally unavoidable and I am sure most of us before or after we started studying martial arts have been in a scrap or two, that's life but why is it some martial artists have to talk crap about their actual experience. Maybe Emin Boztepe, the gracies and manofkent participated in the same 400 street fights?

Of all the types of threads that can occur on this forum in particular but any martial arts forum, these are the worst. Now we get to get regalled with tales of guys pulling off near miraculous fights against masters/top students/old freinds from "other" styles, etc...funny thing is, most of the martial artist I've come into contact with have tales that match ST00 stories more then anything else, most fights don't last long, and fighting in kwoons/dojos is as infrequent as hell freezing over.
..mate got his arm and ribs broken, I should chi blast you just for saying it..oh wait! do you live in one of those third world countries where things like that happen alot?!:rolleyes:

Liokault
02-12-2004, 08:32 AM

LOL, See what I did here was, first off I implyed that KC has friends LOL, and secondly I refered to his recent troll posts.

(your new to this so a TROLL is someone who posts somthing contervertial, just to get lots of reply......his KC's best currant troll is into 19 pages I belive).

Hey Manofkent, can I interest you in SanShou by any chance?

KC Elbows
02-12-2004, 08:39 AM

LOL, See what I did here was, first off I implyed that KC has friends LOL, and secondly I refered to his recent troll posts.

(your new to this so a TROLL is someone who posts somthing contervertial, just to get lots of reply......his KC's best currant troll is into 19 pages I belive).

Hey Manofkent, can I interest you in SanShou by any chance?

As soon as my friend comes out of his coma, he is so gonna kick your arse.:D

David Jamieson
02-12-2004, 08:44 AM
I think most reasonable fighters are interested in whatever seems to work, regardless of source.

This totally beheads the correct and feeds its skull to the rabid dogs.

I think there is a perception out there that mma enthusiasts are quick to pushaw some of the long term practices in tma because they don't produce useful results in fighting in the here and now.

So, it follows that another perception is that mma focuses only on the here and now of fighting and the training methods to succeed at that goal, which is also it's objective as a practice.

This is very zen, LOL.

But it's only a perception. How many mma guys do yoga? Or meditate? Both aspects of tma.

There is also a perception that a great deal of tma enthusiasts are supposed to be only fixating on the fighting aspects of their "art" but aren't and instead spend too much time physically dancing out some pattern and not learning how to properly use it because there is also a perception that there is a distinct lack of resistance in demonstration and sparring.

That perception leads to yet another that tma is mostly not fixated on the fighting aspects and ergo is not useful in the short term here and now fighting applicability mindset that is associated with the mma-ist.

These are only perceptions and your average everyday dude/tte would never even bother to think about.

I don't personally think that either of these perceptions is a reality. I'm not 100% for the return of the roman circuses in regards to martial arts, but I understand a little about how we all have a competitive gene (not gene) running around in our DNA.

cheers

Liokault
02-12-2004, 08:47 AM
Kung Lek,

Reasonable fighter, is this not an oxymoron?

David Jamieson
02-12-2004, 08:52 AM
no.

you can be a "bad" fighter. but not like in "he was a baaaaad fighter"

you can be a "good" fighter, which pretty much speaks for itself or, you can be a "reasonable" fighter, like a "win some lose some" kind of attitude.

You can also be a "reasonable" fighter as in "reasonable minded about the reality of the training path required to reach your objective" :D

but, in a fight, what is "reasonable"?

cheers

manofkent
02-12-2004, 08:52 AM
red5angel

Well It was not the best student but one of the advanced students. U should visit Chatham some time, U'll see what its like. 100's of schools all advertising karate and other martial arts, they all turn out to be "Fight Clubs" where some Tuff guy has been inside and cant get a job, so he starts a non-licenced martial arts school.

U dont have a clue. I understand what ur saying but dont go mouthing off like that.

Ray Pina
02-12-2004, 09:08 AM
I've had a rib broken. It happens. The worst injury I've ever had. Hurt to laugh, a total ***** to sleep.

As for fighting the schools top student and then having the teacher want to go -- that's actually typical. Have you panting -- after seeing what you like to do -- then they step in.

I admire my teacher. At his age, he insists on being the one to play with visitors. I'd like to change that but am not a good rep yet. I can't wait for the day he gives me the green light.

red5angel
02-12-2004, 09:09 AM
It's a forum, I'll do whatever I feel like. Especially when I see a load of crap coming from someone. It's all fair in my opinion, you want to tell stories I can call you out on it. I'm sure Chatham is just full of potential ultimate fighting champions, but I still don't buy your story. You can't follow the basic terminology but you can sure whip a$$ on any old martial artist that steps in front of you? And your buddy walks away with life threatening injuries and you want to be taken seriously? The guy who started this thread wasn't asking for the opening to a rambo flick, he was asking if anyone who studies the martial arts got into some real fights, not hollywood induced fantasies..... You bet your sweet a$$ I'm going to cal you out on it. Not only am I tired of hearing all sorts of BS about what art is better or which style is the best, but listening to chumps talk about this fantastic fights where they dominate the hell out of someone with their fantastical martial arts skill. Let me give you a hint, when you want to sound like bad ass in the martial arts, atleast learn the terminology so you can sound like maybe there is a credible base to your stories. sorry to offend your fine sensibilities but I'm not buying what your selling.

I should also point out, in case you haven't notice, there are some actual martial artists on this board, and most of them understand what fighting is all about, how it works, and many of us have experience in all aspects of martial society.

KC Elbows
02-12-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
one was a kempo school, and they had advertised "groundfighting" and "grappling" so I had to see it.. the instructor let me join in and i began to methodically dismantle his senior students. to save face he himself rolled with me and it was equally as lopsided a win. at one point he was getting desperate and began some foul tactics (grabbing for my eyes and mouth) and after I armbarred him I told him that if he wants to fight like this i would be happy to oblige and I cranked on his arm to emphasize my point. he stopped and so did I.

We have a standing rule. We're not ground fighters, but we practice what little we've been shown at this point pretty consistently. If someone wants to join in while we train that, that's cool. But if they're just joining almost like a ringer, just to beat us down on the ground without letting us know that they have solid experience, well then, they're just being wankers. If they're honest about it and have the goods, then we usually are interested in what they have to share. If they want to use us for practice and not share, then they're being wankers as well, and can go somewhere else.

That way, it keeps us honest, keeps those who work out with us honest, and everyone keeps an open mind for training new things.

On the flip side, do you think the kenpo school's ground fighting was traditional martial arts, or modern arts not as thoroughly trained as your own? Also, have you had similar experiences(being overwhelmingly better to a school's members) in schools of the styles you practice? I rarely hear about such meetings, and am curious, though suspect the kenpo school's groundfighting was, in fact, based around one of the arts you've practiced.

KC Elbows
02-12-2004, 09:21 AM
I never saw the acronyms TMA, BJJ, CMA, JMA, JJJ, and others before coming on forums. Most at my school wouldn't know what the heck these letters mean. I suspect it's the same for most practitioners who don't hang out online with other practitioners- I can't think of a single published work that uses the above acronyms aside from online forums.

It's sort of a catch with anecdotes. If we accept ST00's story to be a cool and unbiased description of events based on a knowledge of not only his side, but the other group's sides, then there's not much criticism we can give to manofkent's that doesn't appear somewhat hypocritical, solely because we "know" ST00 better.

After all, if we know ST00 so well, then do we believe that Ralek is an actual kid who trains by video game fu, and not simply a member trolling under another handle?

If ST00 told a story about challenging a guy who did an armbar too hard on a friend of his and broke his arm, would we be challenging it?

ShaolinTiger00
02-12-2004, 09:45 AM
KC, the instructor was a former judoka and this is where most of their groundwork came from. He knew that that I study groundwork and also knew that I'd do well against his students. I believe that his isolation away from other well trained grapplers had padded his ego and his skills in this area and when I came in, it was like running into the brick wall of reality.

In fact he asked me to join the school and teach (lol he called it "assist" him) in throwing & groundwork.

I politely declined.

KC, if you honestly beleive that I'm really Ralek, or that I lied about anything that happened I can only assume that you aren't able to percieve the obvious differences between us. Several members of this forum have met me in person (on many occasions) and all of them know that I come from a CMA background. If you recall Josh baited me into the match by attacking san shou's credability. I consider myself a person of integrity.

truth be told if the kempo guy would have stuck his finger in my eye, I still probably wouldn't have broken his arm. Sometimes I'm way too nice...

KC Elbows
02-12-2004, 09:51 AM

KC, if you honestly beleive that I'm really Ralek, or that I lied about anything that happened I can only assume that you aren't able to percieve the obvious differences between us. Several members of this forum have met me in person (on many occasions) and all of them know that I come from a CMA background. If you recall Josh baited me into the match by attacking san shou's credability. I consider myself a person of integrity.

truth be told if he would have stuck his finger in my eye, i still probably wouldn't have broken his arm. Sometimes I'm way too nice...

I don't think you're Ralek, that wasn't really my point. I was simply showing how difficult it was to establish whose anecdotal evidence to accept, and whose to argue with. My point being that arguing about anecdotal evidence is fairly pointless.

KC Elbows
02-12-2004, 09:57 AM
KC, the instructor was a former judoka and this is where most of their groundwork came from. He knew that that I study groundwork and also knew that I'd do well against his students. I believe that his isolation away from other well trained grapplers had padded his ego and his skills in this area and when I came in, it was like running into the brick wall of reality.

In fact he asked me to join the school and teach (lol he called it "assist" him) in throwing & groundwork.

Very nice of him.;)

I'm agree that this sort of insulation doesn't help training. The school I attend is right now working on getting their feet wet in san shou, but I'll be first to admit that we'd be much happier in a venue that allowed elbows. Regardless, the feeling is that taking part in that will give us more exposure to other schools that are interested in more serious fighting, giving us a challenge to strive for. It also helps that my teacher's brother is a very ecclectic fighter, and so my teacher respects a greater range of styles than many teachers do, and most of his students, myself included, have studied other arts.

Ralphie
02-12-2004, 10:07 AM
I haven't been in a fight since high school. I live in suburbia, and am a nice guy. I also don't drink that much or go to biker bars, or live near Ralek. The closest I ever got to a fight in the last 14 years, is a traffic altercation. The guy got out of his car, and not knowing what this guy was going to do, I hit him with my car door, which knocked him to the ground, then jumped on top of him to beat the crap out of him. I realized he didn't have any weapons, and was scared. I told him to go back to his car, which he did, and that was that.

norther practitioner
02-12-2004, 10:18 AM
Ralphie, you need to come out to one of the clubs with us.. we'll fix that up quick.

Ralphie
02-12-2004, 10:42 AM
NP,
I'd be up for that!

Knifefighter
02-12-2004, 10:46 AM
ST00 is an experienced San Shou fighter who goes against a completely clueless Ralek, a troll who only "training" is from video games. ST not only is unable to completely dominate all aspects of the fight, but may have even come out on the short end.

Come on now.

red5angel
02-12-2004, 10:52 AM
If ST00 told a story about challenging a guy who did an armbar too hard on a friend of his and broke his arm, would we be challenging it?

Hey it may not be nice for me to say it, or politically correct too, but when I smell crap, I call it. I'm not here necessarily to make freinds, although I have, some of you guys are respectable, if not clean smelling ;) but the difference is that ST00 has built up credibility. Some of the other forum members who have told stories, and who I consider generally respectable have had some stories that don't jive but I don't worry too much about it. manofkents story doesn't gel, and smells of crap. There's enough bull$hit in the martial arts anyway, I don't have to stand for it all the time.
As for acronyms, you may be right KC, but I do not have the same experience as you. Almost everyone I know knows BJJ and MMA. Quite a few others could put together the meaning of CMA and TMA pretty quickly, but coming right out about some glorious exploit of yours, then saying you don't understand what another martial artist is talking about in general terms...doesn't cut it with me.

Kymus
02-12-2004, 10:54 AM

Did i do the right thing????

I think so.

MasterKiller
02-12-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Knifefighter
ST00 is an experienced San Shou fighter who goes against a completely clueless Ralek, a troll who only "training" is from video games. ST not only is unable to completely dominate all aspects of the fight, but may have even come out on the short end.

Come on now. ST00 did lose! But only because "Ralek" is a NAGA champ.

SevenStar
02-12-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
..mate got his arm and ribs broken, I should chi blast you just for saying it..oh wait! do you live in one of those third world countries where things like that happen alot?!:rolleyes:

I've broken someone's ribs with a roundhouse kick before.

As for challenge matches, there's a thread similar to this in the streetfighting (if I remember correctly) forum. I posted mine there. I didn't challenge, we got challenged and I accepted. At the time, I was in college and we trained karate three days a week and grappling one day a week.

since then, I've had several friendly matches with guys that have come and gone, but no "challenges" per se.

Knifefighter
02-12-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
ST00 did lose! But only because "Ralek" is a NAGA champ. If that's really the case, then the person who posts as Ralek is an even bigger loser than everyone already thinks. Trolling yourself and making up stories about fights is one thing. Pretending to know nothing, going on a forum, challenging and fighting people when in actuality you are a highly skilled grappler is a disgusting act of insecurity.

Water Dragon
02-12-2004, 11:15 AM
lol

SevenStar
02-12-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by KC Elbows

We have a standing rule. We're not ground fighters, but we practice what little we've been shown at this point pretty consistently. If someone wants to join in while we train that, that's cool. But if they're just joining almost like a ringer, just to beat us down on the ground without letting us know that they have solid experience, well then, they're just being wankers. If they're honest about it and have the goods, then we usually are interested in what they have to share. If they want to use us for practice and not share, then they're being wankers as well, and can go somewhere else.

That way, it keeps us honest, keeps those who work out with us honest, and everyone keeps an open mind for training new things.

On the flip side, do you think the kenpo school's ground fighting was traditional martial arts, or modern arts not as thoroughly trained as your own? Also, have you had similar experiences(being overwhelmingly better to a school's members) in schools of the styles you practice? I rarely hear about such meetings, and am curious, though suspect the kenpo school's groundfighting was, in fact, based around one of the arts you've practiced.

this was similar to the experience I had - at the longfist school I attended, we grappled, but it was like sloppy bjj - they only did the very basic stuff, for example, their only escape from any mount was the bridge and roll - no sweeps, no shrimping, etc. no study of position, basic straight armbar, and an occasional kimura and that's about it. my friend ordered the fighter's notebook and he and I started working the techniques we saw in it, either at the kwoon (we'd stay late after class was done) or we'd meet up and the college on the weekends. within a month or so, we were killing all of them on the ground, and he managed to triangle our sifu. If you ask them, they say they teach grappling, which I guess is technically true, but it's very sub par when compared to what I've learned since beginning grappling.

Ralphie
02-12-2004, 11:41 AM
7*, are you saying that longfist reverts to bad BJJ and not kickboxing?

SevenStar
02-12-2004, 11:47 AM
:D that's exactly what I'm saying.

Musicalkatachmp
02-12-2004, 11:48 AM
This guy that was suppose to be a pretty good wrestler came in...he was real nice and polite but didn't seem to think we knew how to grapple...so him and this guy from my school (TCMA) go at it and the wrestler gets choked out in 10 seconds...we let them restart and 10 secs later he was choked out again...this happened two more times before they stopped...

Not too great but its the best story I have...

another time a wrestler came in an challenged anyone at his weight but none of our fighters were there and nothing really happened...one of our toughest guys was outside practicing his tai chi straight sword and didn't know what was going on until after the fact...

apoweyn
02-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Knifefighter
If that's really the case, then the person who posts as Ralek is an even bigger loser than everyone already thinks. Trolling yourself and making up stories about fights is one thing. Pretending to know nothing, going on a forum, challenging and fighting people when in actuality you are a highly skilled grappler is a disgusting act of insecurity.

And this is easier to believe than the idea that it might actually have happened as ST00 has always described it?

Outstanding.

KC Elbows
02-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Woops.

I wasn't actually trying to say ST00 is Ralek. Again, I was just pointing out the futility of arguing anecdotal evidence. Let's just assume I'm Ralek, and ST00 and I came up with this incredible troll to reel you all in with, and we just ran with it, mmmkay?;)

TAO YIN
02-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Please read;

For all of you who took my questions at least half way seriously, thank you very much for your contributions. For anyone who just wanted to spew and be a smart arse, thank you as well, it shows me your true colors to a serious question.

STOO, I give my respects to you for actually telling about a fight story where you lost. However, I don't really think that the pool stick was a foul. I think it was just reality slapping you in the face. Seriously, you were lucky the guy who hit you didn't break the poolstiick and shove the shapr end of into your gut. Anyways, thank you very much for your comments.

Red5Angel, this thread, is just as ridiculous, as any other thread that comes up on this forum. I started this thread because all I read on these forums for the most part are about MMA people who seem to speak as if they have fought the entire CMA community, who have beaten the best of the best tourney after tourney, and da and da. I just wondered if they have ever really been in the deep shiot. Look at BJJ, speaking for arts sake, this art is highly efficient and brutal on the ground. A BJJ guy who knows what he is doing, on the street, in a streetfight, is more than likely going to really screw up someones joints and whatnot really freakin bad. I asked a somewhat serious question, and I got some good responses and bad.

On the other hand, we have CMAers running around here, talking as if they were death this and death that, so I just wanted a story. People speak on here as if they have been in a dozen streetfights where people have been seriously injured and beaten, so I just wanted to get an idea of what type of "fight" everyone was talking about.

Im referring to fighting were, two people do not value each other's life, their entire focus is to either send the other person to the hospital or the morgue. Not talk to them and give them a lesson after a jointlock. You are putting down man of kent about some broken rib stuff. WTF? I mean, the first so called streetfight I was in, I left with a broken nose, two swelled up and blackened eyes, a broken rib, a broken finger, and a broken toe. And I was lucky to get away with just that. I mean, hell, I cracked my first rib when I was in Taekwondo school.

Anyways, sorry for the rant guys, thank you all again.

TAO

KC Elbows
02-12-2004, 12:30 PM
I think it was the broken arm that red5 found odd.

Okay, my contribution, shared this before, don't know what experience this guy had.

When I was younger, I stole a lot of stuff, got caught once, and the altercation, stereotypically, went to the ground, largely because the guy was just trying to stop me from stealing his stuff and I couldn't bring myself to hit him for that, and I didn't at the time know how to slip him without it involving striking. So I went to the ground, he had trouble applying any sort of finishing hold, but he had the advantage, so I said "You win", dropped his stuff, and that was that. At the time, I had very little practical experience aside from fist fights in high school.

And that's about what most fight experiences are: drunk people fighting stupidly, people putting themselves in dumb positions fighting stupidly, etc. Since then, I've had tons of sparring experiences that were more productive, not to mention life experiences. I don't do dumb fights now. If it ain't productive, I'll have nothing to do with it.

Merryprankster
02-12-2004, 12:34 PM
No. Masterkiller seems to think it's funny to insinuate that I'm Ralek.

Don't be an ass-clown, alright?

Liokault
02-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Please read;
TAO YIN

Red5Angel, this thread, is just as ridiculous, as any other thread that comes up on this forum.

All threads are equally ridiculous.

Look at BJJ, speaking for arts sake, this art is highly efficient and brutal on the ground. A BJJ guy who knows what he is doing, on the street, in a streetfight, is more than likely going to really screw up someone's joints and whatnot really freakin bad.

This is true of anyone "who knows what he is doing, on the street" BJJ or no BJJ, MA or no MA.

You are putting down man of kent about some broken rib stuff. WTF?

Nope, Manofkent was "put down" because of a really false sounding story. Its what happened on the internet.

apoweyn
02-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by KC Elbows
Woops.

I wasn't actually trying to say ST00 is Ralek. Again, I was just pointing out the futility of arguing anecdotal evidence. Let's just assume I'm Ralek, and ST00 and I came up with this incredible troll to reel you all in with, and we just ran with it, mmmkay?;)

No, I know you weren't mate. I find it odd that KF is in such a hurry to believe it (or some equally daft variation).

Seems far more likely (nay obvious) to me that Ralek is a real person but [gasp] lies about the degree of training he has. And how he acquired it. (Streetfighter?!)

Shaolinlueb
02-12-2004, 12:44 PM
i got into 4 or 5 fights when i was in 6th grade. those count right? i tried some guile stuff cause street fighter 2 was the boom. but sonic booms are impossible to pull of :o

Ralphie
02-12-2004, 12:52 PM
I had Pit Fall on Atari when I was a kid. So, I can't fight nearly as well as those who have 64+ bit vid games. However, I can jump on crocodile heads and swing from vines really well.

MasterKiller
02-12-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by apoweyn
Seems far more likely (nay obvious) to me that Ralek is a real person but [gasp] lies about the degree of training he has. And how he acquired it. (Streetfighter?!) I've got a bridge for sell in London. You interested?

apoweyn
02-12-2004, 12:56 PM
I've got a bridge for sell in London. You interested?

Come off it MK. You're not this daft. I refuse to believe it.

ShaolinTiger00
02-12-2004, 12:57 PM
Ap,

I think you're mistaken KF's post.

or maybe I need to read it again.. now I'm confused..

can we get a ruling here? :D

apoweyn
02-12-2004, 12:59 PM
Ap,

I think you're mistaken KF's post.

or maybe I need to read it again.. now I'm confused..

can we get a ruling here? :D

If I have, KF has my unmitigated and red-faced apologies.

red5angel
02-12-2004, 01:02 PM
Red5Angel, this thread, is just as ridiculous, as any other thread that comes up on this forum.

TAO YIN - I'm not saying your intention was bad, or that it was a wast eof time, only that a thread like this tends to cultivate some less then honest responses from time to time.

You are putting down man of kent about some broken rib stuff.

Yes, not because broken ribs don't happen, often all sorts of injuries occur while training, but because from time to time we get all sorts of different types of people and some of those people feel that trying to prove how tough, or bada$$ed or skilled they are, over the internet no less, is a good way of impressing people. Of course nothing can be proven unless we witness it ourselves, but some stories hold more true then others, this story does not hold true for me, it sounds exactly like alot of other crap that is spouted on this board from time to time, by people who generally come and go.

I think it was the broken arm that red5 found odd.

No, what I find odd is that some people have a sort of hollywood-esque view of how the martial art works. Some like to paint it as full of underground societies full of hard men who like to beat each other to near death to prove their art is better. Some of those people get onto this forum, forgetting that there are real martial artist on this board from time to time, who have experience going to martial schools, and visiting with martial people, and using martial arts to fight, and begin to tell their stories. I'm not saying I can tell 100%, what stories are fake and what aren't, and I could even allow that I could be mistaken about this, but my bet is that I am not. It has that smell to it.

On the other hand, we have CMAers running around here, talking as if they were death this and death that, so I just wanted a story. People speak on here as if they have been in a dozen streetfights where people have been seriously injured and beaten, so I just wanted to get an idea of what type of "fight" everyone was talking about.

Exactly. ;)

TAO YIN
02-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Liokault says,

"This is true of anyone "who knows what he is doing, on the street" BJJ or no BJJ, MA or no MA."

Thanks for pointing this out for me, I wasn't sure. ha
I was speaking of BJJ and a BJJ person exclusively, sorry if you misunderstood my context. Anyways, thank you for your reply.

Red 5,

Sorry about my misunderstanding your context. I understand what you mean about this story smelling of it a bit. It is not the broken rib that makes it perhaps "faulty," it is the beating that takes place after the broken ribs. I understand now why you made a call on that specific post.

I agree with you on how some paint a hollywood pic around marial arts, but then some martial artists, I would assume, have been deep in a pile of shiot. I always find it amusing how many people on this board have won fights and are seemingly undefeated. No one has ever been severly injured, but at the same time, no one seems to have severly injured an opponent. This is almost as amusing as how many MMA guys COULD wipe the floor with CMA guys, but have never done so and are still not. And flip side, how many CMA guys could dim mak an MMA guy without hesitation.

Its like the "you can't hit me in the throat and you can't punch me in the eye story." I've never fully understood this. Its getting to the point where it seems punching is futile in people's minds. And flipsided, grappling is futile because a "good master" can't be taken down.

In any event, conditioned phoenix eyes to the liver, the throat, the temple, and lots more places on the body, are damaging. And at the same time, so does a rear naked choke a heel hook, an armbar, and alllllll of that.

So shiot, we go full circle again, it's up to the fighter, the person, to understand how best his body works, and at the same time, he must be ready to constantly change to the situation.

anyways,

TAO

red5angel
02-12-2004, 02:16 PM
A few have, and some stories are hard ot believe either way. My friend fought a midget, twice, and he was actually challenged in that fight by the midget. Weird but true. But some stories just don't jive with me and I don't mind risking looking like a complete a$$ to get my point across, ask anyone on this forum! :)

norther practitioner
02-12-2004, 02:26 PM
I don't mind risking looking like a complete a$$

Pretty standard affair.

red5angel
02-12-2004, 02:29 PM
what are you tryin' to say ninjaboy?!:mad:

blooming lotus
02-12-2004, 02:46 PM
Please read;

Im referring to fighting were, two people do not value each other's life,
TAO

dude, Like more than a couple of peeps here, I've seen some hairy situations myself (like when I had a chunck bitten out of my leg by some broken bottle-weilding freak...and traded the chunk-o-leg for a restraining pin) and unless you're some sorta crazed lunatic ...you always gotta value life.....it's part of self defence maturity and discipline....even if you would rather kick his nose into the other side of his/her face and systematically break each of their bones into very tiny pieces :rolleyes:

TAO YIN
02-12-2004, 03:26 PM
blooming lotus, hehehehe

you missed the point. So you are telling me people who shoot others value the life of the person they are shooting. BS. What about people who walk through a crowded group and zip, slice your belly's open? Do these people value your life? You can talk discipline, and honor, and all this and that all you want. In a life or death situtation, no one is being nice and talking about how beautiful it is to be alive.

I mean, Aren't you a crazed lunatic when you fight? Don't you have some sort of theory along the lines of, "you dont want to see me when i get mad." "When I get mad I see fire. "When I get mad I see red." ???

A fight is not a social gathering. It's not like a hey, hows it going deal. Fighting for honor and self defence is one thing, fighting to prove yourself is one thing, but fighting to win and stay alive is another. And then on top of that, not understanding the concept of life's value, either of yourself, or of your opponent, is a totally different level. as the saying goes, "i dont value your life or my own, my only intent is to kill you, i can't comprehend anything other than death and hell." What I am trying to say is, there are many people out their who don't value your life at all. After you beat them and get up, they are just as likely to jump right up and shank you in the kidney. There are still quite a few people, who couldn't give two rat farks.

Now see, now I sound like Im talking shiot. Anyways

TAO :D :rolleyes:

TAO YIN
02-12-2004, 03:42 PM
blooming lotus,

I am just curious, why on earth would you value the life of a person who bit a chunk out of your leg????

blooming lotus
02-12-2004, 03:43 PM
blooming lotus, hehehehe

you missed the point. So you are telling me people who shoot others value the life of the person they are shooting. BS.

BUT THOSES PEOPLE ARENT MA ISTS RIGHT?....RIGHT????

What about people who walk through a crowded group and zip, slice your belly's open? Do these people value your life?

PLS SEE PREVIOUS COMMENT

You can talk discipline, and honor, and all this and that all you want. In a life or death situtation, no one is being nice and talking about how beautiful it is to be alive.

I mean, Aren't you a crazed lunatic when you fight?

NO.....

Don't you have some sort of theory along the lines of, "you dont want to see me when i get mad."

NO....

"When I get mad I see fire.

STILL NO

"When I get mad I see red." ???

AND NO AGAIN :)

I RARELY GET ANGRY AND WHEN I "FIGHT" I'M ANYTHING BUT.....THAT'S WHEN "MISTAKES" HAPPEN???

A fight is not a social gathering. It's not like a hey, hows it going deal. Fighting for honor and self defence is one thing, fighting to prove yourself is one thing, but fighting to win and stay alive is another.

YES IT IS..AND PRESERVING THE OTHER PERSONS LIFE IS JUST A MORAL THING TO DO ;)

And then on top of that, not understanding the concept of life's value, either of yourself, or of your opponent, is a totally different level. as the saying goes, "i dont value your life or my own, my only intent is to kill you, i can't comprehend anything other than death and hell."

THATS WHEN PEACE AND CONFIDENCE COMES IN HANDY ;).....NOW LETS NOT OVERREACT HA ....

What I am trying to say is, there are many people out their who don't value your life at all. After you beat them and get up, they are just as likely to jump right up and shank you in the kidney.

SO YOU KNOCK THEM UNCIOUS IF YOU HAVE TO???

There are still quite a few people, who couldn't give two rat farks.

YES THERE ARE...ARE YOU ONE-O-THOSE?

Now see, now I sound like Im talking shiot. Anyways

TAO :D :rolleyes:

norther practitioner
02-12-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by red5angel
what are you tryin' to say ninjaboy?!:mad:

I think you get the drift there assboy. :D

blooming lotus
02-12-2004, 03:45 PM
blooming lotus,

I am just curious, why on earth would you value the life of a person who bit a chunk out of your leg????

THE CHICK WAS OBVIOUSLY UNSTABLE...IS THAT A REAL QUESTION?

TAO YIN
02-12-2004, 04:31 PM
blooming lotus,

sorry mate, didnt know it was a chick that bit you.

i didn't say those people were MAs,,,nice persuasive rhetoric though.

and no, a fight is not a social gathering, unless you are referring to two people being in one place as social or the interaction of fighting as a social thing. It's not like having a beer with a friend. Who in the world said that fighting was moral??? If a guy comes into your house, an MAer lets say, rapes your wife, and kills your dog, are you going to be moral with him? Yes I know, an MAer wouldnt do that. But are you going to be MORAL? Are you going to ask him to wait a sec while you call the cops? Fighting can be considered one of the most immoral activites humans participate in.

on your question,,,,,,,,,,,,,,am i one of those people.....

In a fight yes, I couldn't give two farks, unless I feel it will be easy to win. Anger does not suffice. Im not talking mistake angy either. flight or fight, its all the same. Street fights dont happen with two people eyeying each other down. BAM, they just happen. He move towards me aggressively, my only intention is to kill, thats it. I either want the person I'm fighting to be maimed or die, or myself to die. I don't look for trouble, and I dont ask for it. The old saying goes, "I may not win, but you will know you have been in a fight." In other words, of course, I'll fight to the death, if need be for sure. Thankfully, I haven't had to do that thus far.

in normal life, im the nicest guy in the world and try my best to make everyone feel comfortable and happy and have fun.

so again, you trumped me, i still sound like im talking shiot. kinda hard not to in this context.

cheers
mate

Mr Punch
02-12-2004, 06:31 PM
Manofkent was put down because of a false-sounding story, and more emphatically, because he didn't know what BJJ, TMA etc meant.

On this point Red is way off, and frankly ludicrous! I had no idea of the meaning of these terms before KFO.

And when I went back to my dojo in the UK, with my fancy shmancy KFO lexicon last year, nobody had the faintest idea what I was talking about. And I'm talking about very accomplished MAists with years of experience, many as LEOs, psychiatric nurses, prison officers etc. They just don't hang out on interent forums.

JFTR, I don't know manofkent and I don't know/care if his story is true (I do CMA: truth doesn't have to be an element in fight stories...! :rolleyes: :D ) but if it were bs I can't see anyone in their right mind saying they had a Clio, plus it's pretty plausible an ending for the police to come and close it down.

Mr Punch
02-12-2004, 06:56 PM
Red, I know your martial arts and the maturity of your attitude has come on a lot since the old days of 'Carl Dechiahara rules and everbody else sucks' (and maybe this sounds patronising but hey, I wasn't saying my attitude has come on at all, so bite me :D ! but isn't all this lecturing on what 'cuts it with you' a bit on the wanky side?

As I said, I don't care about manofkent's story but here you are lecturing someone else on martial arts schools not being like the movies with loads of underground fightin n ****... about the UK without ever having been there! Sounds like telling a load of people how your sifu has the bestest kungfu, without having been anywhere else!

And now, how roaming around like some kungfu/mma ronin, getting schooled by getting your ass handed to you by loads of people who do stick with an art or two for longer than a couple of years is kind of like THE WAY to train MA... some of us have been testing our **** and getting our ass handed to us for years.

Excellent piece of posting:

Red5
No, what I find odd is that some people have a sort of hollywood-esque view of how the martial art works. Some like to paint it as full of underground societies full of hard men who like to beat each other to near death to prove their art is better. Some of those people get onto this forum, forgetting that there are real martial artist on this board from time to time, who have experience going to martial schools, and visiting with martial people, and using martial arts to fight, and begin to tell their stories. I'm not saying I can tell 100%, what stories are fake and what aren't, and I could even allow that I could be mistaken about this, but my bet is that I am not. It has that smell to it.
FYI, there are a lot of seemingly unregulated dangerous schools and instructors in the UK. We don't have a litigation culture, so they often don't get called on their behaviour. And there is a hell of a lot of underground stuff, especially with the travellers, and around the Home Counties (the six counties around London). The don't have arts at all: but those that do and teach them in these areas, need to make sure that a challenger isn't gonna be some hard-ass semi-pro tinker, and if he is, he needs taking out quickly and hard.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, but come down off your high horse once in a while, you're interfering with my view from mine! :D

Mr Punch
02-12-2004, 07:14 PM
STOO, I give my respects to you for actually telling about a fight story where you lost. However, I don't really think that the pool stick was a foul. I think it was just reality slapping you in the face. Seriously, you were lucky the guy who hit you didn't break the poolstiick and shove the shapr end of into your gut. Anyways, thank you very much for your comments.
No. He wasn't lucky not to have the stick break and the sharp end shoved into his gut. That is quite normal.

I've lived in ****ty areas, I've seen many pool cue thrapings and I've never seen anyone shove a pool cue into someone's gut.

I have seen a guy shove a glass into someone's face and then offer very little resistance when my friend and I separated them, when in point of fact he could have probably taken pieces out of us too.

I have seen a man go out to his car, take a hatchet back into the pub, and MISS the guy who was the target of his anger, sitting there with his back to him.

Maybe it's different in the States, esp cos you all freakin carry lethal weapons, but it's very definitely part of my martial art to not want to get excessive on someone's ass. In my experience, most times, people are not gonna put a killing blow in: they haven't got the guts, or the will, or the reason. But they will give you a good kicking. And while I know it happens, I've never had an experience, and nor have my friends, relatives, and their friends, etc, of anyone breaking into my house and raping my wife and killing my kids. Let's get real here! Of course, your response should err on the side of excess, cos you're the good guy.

Like any part of martial analysis, like analysis of your own body, your own strengths and weaknesses, analysis of when to go crazy red-misty and when to keep it chilled is a big factor in my martial arts.

And yes, I've been kicked in, attacked with various implements, had no serious injuries, and given no serious injuries yet. (BTW, not writing them again cos my stories are long and on countless other threads, they're not very exciting... and definitely not movie stuff.)

ShaolinTiger00
02-12-2004, 10:54 PM
I just re-read KF's post. I think your impression was correct Ap. ?It seems that KF does think I'm a liar.

*shrug*

wow bro. shockinging really. I always thought we had lots in common.

*removes official KF fanclub badge*

I've spent too much energy trying to convince people about my actions. that's the problem with the internet. if you knew me in person I don't think there would be a doubt in your mind.

either way I'm done convincing. if my studies have taught me anything that can be passed from the physical to the spiritual it's that wasted energy is a bad thing.

SifuAbel
02-13-2004, 01:16 AM
No wonder KF can't keep any friends.

Pulling knives on them, call them liars and *****ing at them on the internet.

Sad. :(

:D :rolleyes:

manofkent
02-13-2004, 02:23 AM
Whats the problem.

How is it hard for a MA'r to understand how my non-MA buddy got a few broken ribs and a broken arm.

after getting a bit of a whooping for the 1st 25 seconds, he thu a lazy hook, which the other guy held on to, (not being trained it was weak as sh*t) kicked him in the ribs, held him in a wrist lock as he fell to the floor and snaped his arm over his knee.

why u giving me such a hard time over it. its a ruff club, and it was hardly holiwood. me and my mate went bk after two months cos i wanted to show them that what they were doing was unfair.

KC Elbows
02-13-2004, 07:39 AM
I just re-read KF's post. I think your impression was correct Ap. ?It seems that KF does think I'm a liar.

*shrug*

I've spend too much energy trying to convince people about my actions. that's the problem with the internet. if you knew me in person I don't think there would be a doubt in your mind.

either way I'm done convincing. if my studies have taught me anything that can be passed from the physical to the spiritual it's that wasted energy is a bad thing.

Dude, I honestly did not intend that passage to cause this kind of problem. I think I've already explained where I was coming from, but really, I'm sorry that I even said it at this point.

So let's see: I try to resolve the red5-manofkent flame war, and in the attempt, cause a ST00-KF chasm. I'm gonna take a quick trip to Jerusalem and get those darn Israelis and Palestinians to get together for once. Let the conflagration commence!

ShaolinTiger00
02-13-2004, 08:25 AM
No worries KC.

No one forces me to post here. I was just answering the questions asked.

apoweyn
02-13-2004, 08:56 AM

*shrug*

I've spent too much energy trying to convince people about my actions. that's the problem with the internet. if you knew me in person I don't think there would be a doubt in your mind.

Excellent. Then I'm back into righteous indignation mode.

Or better yet, ignore it and move on mode. Good call.

MasterKiller
02-13-2004, 09:04 AM
KnifeFighter was just responding to my insinuation. Really, you guys trying to take the higher ground against his post is just silly in the context of what's being discussed.

Ralek had his day in the sun at the expense of a lot of people who take CMA very seriously and want to discuss it on a CMA-specific board. Time to move on.

Believe me or not...I don't care. I'm calling shenanigan.

red5angel
02-13-2004, 09:05 AM
Manofkent was put down because of a false-sounding story, and more emphatically, because he didn't know what BJJ, TMA etc meant.

No, not emphatically because he couldn't get the terms right, or didn't understand them but because on top of a particularly sounding bull**** story, he couldn't understand some basic terms. I've already allowed for the fact that one might not understand all the terms there are out there (although I have a hard time believing anyone would miss BJJ - I'be never had anyone in the martial arts ask me what that meant) but on top of the hero story I wasn't buying it. The minute this thread wa sposted I knew we'd get some sort of heroic story out of someone "new" to this forum who wanted to share how he miraculously defeated some top student in some other school there-by showing that he was a harda$$/had better kungfu then the other guy. It happens all the time and as I said before, they come and they go. sure, I could be more tolerant, sure, I could be more patient, or maybe even ignore it, but it frankly, I've gotten a little sick of all the bull**** eating the heart out of the martial arts.
Could it have happened, sure, maybe, could someone not know what all those terms are? possibly, do I believe manofkents, story? Nope.

Red, I know your martial arts and the maturity of your attitude has come on a lot since the old days

thanks Mat, I hope that reflects in most of my posts, but that maturity combined with the fact that I'm tired of the BS we as martial artists often come across, and the fact that when it comes to it, if someone on the internet doesn't like me, I'm nt going to spill milk over it, sometimes makes me a little outspoken when I smell bull.

How is it hard for a MA'r to understand how my non-MA buddy got a few broken ribs and a broken arm.

On a really bad day, this might MIGHT, just happen. Most good martial artists, and I would expect the best student of any schol, good or bad for the most part, has enough control to stop from simultaneously break an arm and ribs.

why u giving me such a hard time over it. its a ruff club, and it was hardly holiwood. me and my mate went bk after two months cos i wanted to show them that what they were doing was unfair.

right, so just like Rambo when he messed with the wrong sheriff in a small podunk town in the hills, He had to show them what they were doing was wrong, so somehow, all by himself, he took out several dozen cops and army men. ;)

We here at KFO, and other martial arts forums often get regalled with stories, especially from new people to the board, about how they pull off some near miraculous fight or technique (it happens but not as often as these guys and girls seem to think). sometimes they are crusading to prove their art is superior, so the story takes on a "I fought the best of the best of the best from a rival school/art" where the rival promptly gets demolished and see's or doesn't see the error of his martial ways - by the way, these stories are always too clean, there needs to be some give and take in a good fight story because unless you get a good opening shot in right away and usually by surprise, a fight can take longer then you might think.
Sometimes, they just want to prove how tough they were, these stories more often turn out to be some sort of "I got jumped by some toughs on the street" type thing where the happless thugs get their come uppance at the hands of someone who just felt they needed to be taught a lesson. Most often the attackers are minimal, one mugger or maybe two, or possibly its an bar brawl. Sometimes there are multiple attackers, cause that's more impressive then just fighting off two large guys who mug people for a living.
Your story is a lesson common breed but still common enough to be recognizeable, and it is a classic in that it contains all the elements. Your not particularly touting your own style of art that I have seen, but this was "another" school, and it did have some "toughs", the instructor and his top student, oh yeah, and who ever you beat the hell out of in front of the class apparently. Your story has some real classic material in it though - the downtrodden freind beat to a pulp by bullies - the nasty martial arts school that has no honor (I particularly like the bit about not being able to join the school unless you can hang with one of their advanced students in the ring for a few rounds, they must be one of the few schools who isn't out to make a profit)- the indignant anger at these bad guys for having beat your freind - The fantastic a$$ whooping handed out by you personally because your opponent was obviously inferior (you even toyed with him a little, that's great!) - the insulted instructor who challenges you (these guys weren't supposed to be honorable so it would have worked better if he just threatened to kick your ass anyway, he did break your freinds arm and ribs).
I mean really, al you needed to do at the end was assume the "unstoppable technique of your 14 ancestors" to turn their instructor into a crying baby on the floor.

apoweyn
02-13-2004, 09:19 AM
KnifeFighter was just responding to my insinuation. Really, you guys trying to take the higher ground against his post is just silly in the context of what's being discussed.

Ralek had his day in the sun at the expense of a lot of people who take CMA very seriously and want to discuss it on a CMA-specific board. Time to move on.

Believe me or not...I don't care. I'm calling shenanigan.

From where I'm standing, one person took Ralek's comments seriously enough to actually go and do something about it.

I think that warrants the high road. Having known ST00 for a couple of years now, no I don't believe you.

But whatever. I think ST00 has the right idea. Believe what you want. No point getting my nose out of joint on their behalf if they're not bothered enough by it.

ShaolinTiger00
02-13-2004, 09:28 AM

*deer in headlights*

ok I'm going to shut the **** up now because I have no clue of the proper context this stuff is being said.

one person took Ralek's comments seriously enough to actually go and do something about it.

That guy was an idiot who should have ignored him, but ended up learning something from the expereince anyways.

Water Dragon
02-13-2004, 09:30 AM
What would be funny is if masterkiller ends up being Ralek.

apoweyn
02-13-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
What would be funny is if masterkiller ends up being Ralek.

LOL

I can just see Kevin Spacey now: "Oh I believe in God. And the only person I fear... is Ralek."

ShaolinTiger00
02-13-2004, 09:44 AM
This thread's ratio of seriousness to flan is almost reaching critical mass.

*puts Flan on Ap's head*

oh yeah.... that's much better...

Don't worry the eggs will be good for your hair..

MasterKiller
02-13-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
What would be funny is if masterkiller ends up being Ralek. Sorry...Ralek was here long before I ever stumbled across KFO, just like the people who created him.

Plus, if I was going to troll anyone, it would be the grapplers. Perhaps MerryTiger00 would be a good secret identity. Or maybe ShaolinPrankster

Liokault
02-13-2004, 09:59 AM

Plus, if I was going to troll anyone, it would be the grapplers. Perhaps MerryTiger00 would be a good secret identity. Or maybe ShaolinPrankster

I think discoSTOO would be a good identity.

apoweyn
02-13-2004, 11:31 AM

Except that discoSTOO doesn't advertise!

blooming lotus
02-13-2004, 03:16 PM
Ok Ok so identity crisies all round....

Whats the problem.

after getting a bit of a whooping for the 1st 25 seconds, he thu a lazy hook, which the other guy held on to,

I dont wanna ride mano here, but for the sake of tech and repetoire...don't you think it would be right about this point a person would step into the attack and throw him head over as*? Maybe it just wasn't feasible but really dude...:confused:

blooming lotus
02-13-2004, 03:19 PM
oh and when you went back you challenged the teacher, kicked as* and both walked out on a cloud of glory right LOL...good stuff dude ;) :cool:

SevenStar
02-13-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by apoweyn

LOL

I can just see Kevin Spacey now: "Oh I believe in God. And the only person I fear... is Ralek."

I love that movie...

Knifefighter
02-13-2004, 05:51 PM
I just re-read KF's post. I think your impression was correct Ap. ?It seems that KF does think I'm a liar. After reading Merryprankster's explanation of the whole thing in another thread, I have a much better understanding of what happened. Looks like that was my bad, and you have my apologies.

---- Recalibrates listings ----

High Integrity:
Merryprankster
Seven Star
Apoweyn
Rogue
ST00 (Moves back into original column)
WaterDragon
Count

Reserves Judgement:
Liokault
red5angel
Royal Dragon
MasterKiller

*******:
Sifu Abel

SifuAbel
02-13-2004, 09:41 PM
LOL! I'm so honored. Really, I am.

You forgot biggest whiner:

Knifefighter

Biggest Jumbo shrimp:

Knifefighter

Most improbable scenarios:

You guessed it, knifefighter.

Xebsball
02-13-2004, 10:13 PM
hey i can be on a list too, please?
my doctor says its good for my self esteem so i can get over being a crazy schizo and develop confidance to aproach women.

shaolin kungfu
02-13-2004, 10:20 PM
If it makes you feel better xebby, i consider you one of the best posters on here. Your musical tastes are top notch as well.

ShaolinTiger00
02-13-2004, 11:40 PM
Most likely to take your platanos maduros when you get up to go to the bathroom:

Sifu Abel.

Most likely to rub flan on his nipples:

Your truly! Azucar!

SifuAbel
02-13-2004, 11:47 PM
Most likely to take your platanos maduros when you get up to go to the bathroom:

Sifu Abel.

Most likely to rub flan on his nipples:

Your truly! Azucar!

**** straight!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

SifuAbel
02-14-2004, 01:47 AM
"ST00 (Moves back into original column)"

Hey ST,
You've been reinstated,
But do you even give a **** at this point?

ShaolinTiger00
02-14-2004, 07:05 AM
[QUOTE]Do you even give a ****?QUOTE]

umm not really. Most of you are in my "Why the hell do we even bother talking about martial arts since it's obvious that we disagree why don't we instead just accept it and move on to things that can make all of us laugh" list.

kung fu guys think they are invincible.

san shou guys think their **** doesn't stink.

MMA guys think it's either their wasy or none at all.

You're all nuts..

(byw: it's widely known and accepted by scholars that a lethal combination of me + black beans are a LETHAL KILLING MACHINE)

the sanshou and judo are just way for me to get you down so that I can **** on your head.

ShaolinTiger00
02-14-2004, 07:08 AM

ok its official I'm changing my forum name. AP is as clever as he is pale.

SifuAbel
02-14-2004, 12:55 PM
Why don't you call yourself "STicky Flan Nipples"?

blooming lotus
02-14-2004, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE]Do you even give a ****?QUOTE]

kung fu guys think they are invincible.

:eek: you mean they're not???

SifuAbel
02-14-2004, 03:27 PM
Of course kung fu guys are invincible, its clearly stated in the manual.

blooming lotus
02-15-2004, 01:59 PM
hehehe.....well thank f*ck for the manual :p :D

apoweyn
02-16-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar

I love that movie...

How could you not love that movie?! :)

apoweyn
02-16-2004, 08:29 AM

ok its official I'm changing my forum name. AP is as clever as he is pale.

Oh, I had the setup from Liokault. I just spiked it. He probably deserves the credit for that cleverness.

Stuart "Pale like a fox(?)" B.

Liokault
02-16-2004, 08:31 AM
I'm kind of pale to.

ShaolinTiger00
02-16-2004, 09:14 AM
sorry Liokault, didn't see your thread.

Meat Shake
02-16-2004, 10:46 AM
I have been in too many fights to remember, the most recent was with a 450 year old CMA master. I forgot what style he did, something along the lines of **** on your shoe fu. I was going for my morning run across the tops of the bamboo forest near my house, when I saw the old man running in the opposite direction as me.
This bothered me, as everyone knows that when running on the tops of bamboo, you must run in a north to southwest semir circle, at a 46 degree angle. This crazy man was running east to south, at a 64 degree curve! What a crazy fool!
I could have none of this, at least not on my bamboo, so I stopped.
I said "Hey old man, your style is weak, and you have shamed my bamboo forest."
"You know not of which you speak, stupid young man!" retorted the old man.
Me? Stupid? Ha. I decided to teach the old man a lesson. I flew at him from 20 feet away with a flying side kick, but he deftly avoided it by turning into a newt and running down the bamboo pole. Tricky *******. Suddenly he appeared behind me again and tried to chiblast me. Trickery! I could have none of this. I vaporized and reappeared behind him (something I picked up from a GM Sin seminar tape) and I kicked him square in the jimmy. He doubled over in pain, and I laughed maniacally. He pressed charges for assault.
The lesson? Dont kick old men in the genitals when you are running on top of bamboo.
And bJJ is useless.