PDA

View Full Version : New Star Wars baddie

PHILBERT
02-11-2004, 10:24 PM
The main bad guy for the new Star Wars movie is a droid. Middle guy in the picture. General Grievous is the name.

Chang Style Novice
02-11-2004, 10:27 PM
There are only two Star Wars movies, the original and "The Empire Strikes Back," which will one day possibly have a sequel.

(sticks fingers in ears, shouts LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!)

Vash
02-11-2004, 10:33 PM
Is it just me, or does star wars kinda suck?

I just can't get into it. Except for those little dudes in the hoods with the glowing eyes. They rule. The rest of it suxors.

Also, any movie wherein a brother and sister share tongue time is not going to sit well.

PHILBERT
02-11-2004, 10:34 PM
Jawas rule

And Vash, it wasn't revealed until the third movie they were brother/sister. And they stopped doing the tounge thing by then.

Now imagine if Padme turns out to be Anakin's sister!

The Willow Sword
02-11-2004, 10:58 PM
Return of the jedi wasnt so bad. i mean there needed to be an ending right?

(takes fingers out of CSN's ears and yells) "YO PUNK DONT DISS THE HOLY TRILOGY.:p

Peace,,,TWS

Chang Style Novice
02-11-2004, 11:14 PM
One word - EWOK.

joedoe
02-11-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by PHILBERT
The main bad guy for the new Star Wars movie is a droid. Middle guy in the picture. General Grievous is the name.

Really? I thought the 3rd movie is basically about how Anakin finally becomes Darth Vader, and Palpatine openly shows himself for what he is. And what happened to Count Dooku?

Bluesman
02-11-2004, 11:26 PM
I was in High School when the first came out. Whoa. I didn't like it nearly as much as I do now. Even my sons go crazy over it.
The first was renamed " A New Hope" and is my favorite. The others, except episode 1 the 4th to be released, are ok. Episode 1 kinda sucks.

PHILBERT
02-12-2004, 12:05 AM
joedoe, Anakin is going to kill Dooku in the opening sequence. What happens is Palpatine is captured by Dooku (either betrayl, or to lure th Jedi there to die) and Anakin kicks his butt.

Ok, here is the dillyo. In the opening sequence, Palpatine has been captured by Dooku. Number of reasons floating why.

1.) Palpatine hopes Dooku is defeated by Anakin, thus planting the seeds for his betrayl to the dark side. (Dooku does not know).

2.) Dooku wants to actually kill Palpatine for whatever reason.

3.) Plot to lure Anakin into the open, being killed by Dooku so the most powerful Jedi is gone.

I think it is either 1 or 3. I think it might be a mixture, Palpatine wants Dooku dead, but if Anakin dies in the process, he'll keep Dooku.

BentMonk
02-12-2004, 05:39 AM
Star Wars movies are great fun IMHO. If you're looking for quasi accurate science, seriously intellectual plots, etc then look elsewhere. I think Empire was by far the best of the lot. The two new movies disappointed me in a major way. I think it was a huge blunder by Lucas to try and cater to the kiddies by adding Ewoks and [gag] Jar-Jar Binks. From what I've heard the upcoming installment is a lot darker. Supposedly it flirted with an R rating and may even end up PG-13. Given Lucas's habit of pandering to the kids even at the expense of a great story, I seriously doubt it will be anything other than a very mild PG. The fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan is reportedly the longest fight scene ever put on film. I guess we'll see. I'll go check it out, but I bet I'll still come away thinking that Empire was as good as Lucas can get, and Boba Fett is the baddest MoFo who never got enough screen time. :D

Repulsive Monkey
02-12-2004, 08:05 AM
Star Wars was never renamed "A New Hope" it was always called "Star Wars: A New Hope".
Watch the credits at the start.

Repulsive Monkey
02-12-2004, 08:07 AM
And of course in this one Yoda and Obi Wan die too.
Think about it before answering back. This is an age old rumour, and the major hints are Obi Wan's final light sabre match with Vader in Star wars and Yoda passin away in Return of the Jedi.

MasterKiller
02-12-2004, 08:08 AM
1.) Palpatine hopes Dooku is defeated by Anakin, thus planting the seeds for his betrayl to the dark side. (Dooku does not know).Dooku hires Asaaj Ventress to kill Anakin because he knows the Emperor has Anakin in his sights for his next apprentice. Palpatine knows Ventress will fail, so he doesn't much care.

Dooku wants to actually kill Palpatine for whatever reason.Because Dooku has succumed to the Dark Side, and is drunk with his own power.

Plot to lure Anakin into the open, being killed by Dooku so the most powerful Jedi is gone. That's what Ventress is for.

I think it is either 1 or 3. I think it might be a mixture, Palpatine wants Dooku dead, but if Anakin dies in the process, he'll keep Dooku. Palpatine knows Anakin is the most powerful Jedi ever. He knows Dooku won't defeat him. It's all part of his master plan to exterminate the Jedi order and get revenge for the defeat of the Sith. Darth Bane has been passing this down for centuries to his apprentices. Palpatine is the one to bring it to fruition.

red5angel
02-12-2004, 08:11 AM
Is it just me, or does star wars kinda suck?

Its just you.

MasterKiller
02-12-2004, 08:14 AM
And of course in this one Yoda and Obi Wan die too.
Think about it before answering back. This is an age old rumour, and the major hints are Obi Wan's final light sabre match with Vader in Star wars and Yoda passin away in Return of the Jedi.

No....Yoda learned in AOTC that it is possible to survice death when Anakin kills the Tusken Raiders. He hears Qui-Gon's ghost in distress during the event. Up until now, the Jedi believed that the Force was a physical thing, governed by midi-chlorians. Now, Yoda has learned that the midi-chlorians are not the connection and that we are in fact "not this crude matter." The arrogance of the Jedi order is obvious in TPM and AOTC....now, we will see them fall for it. Remember, in AOTC, it is hinted that they are losing their connection to the Force. This is because they blindly trust science and machines, which is how the Empire comes to power in the first place.

In EP III, Yoda will teach Obi-Wan how to survive death in case he needs to watch after Luke after he dies. Anakin learns this, too. That's why Vader has a meditation chamber on his ship The Executor (as seen in ESB).

MasterKiller
02-12-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Repulsive Monkey
Star Wars was never renamed "A New Hope" it was always called "Star Wars: A New Hope".
Watch the credits at the start. A New Hope was added to the Re-release in 1978.

MasterKiller
02-12-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
One word - EWOK. Ewok, shmee-wok. They are important because they are technologically ignorant.

MasterKiller
02-12-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by BentMonk
I'll go check it out, but I bet I'll still come away thinking that Empire was as good as Lucas can get It was the baddest that Lawrence Kasdan could get! He wrote it.

BentMonk
02-12-2004, 08:34 AM
Thanks MK I never really paid that much attention to the credits, kind assumed all things Star Wars were Lucas's baby. Thanks for the factoid.

MasterKiller
02-12-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by BentMonk
Thanks MK I never really paid that much attention to the credits, kind assumed all things Star Wars were Lucas's baby. Thanks for the factoid. Lucas was the concept guy behind ESB and ROTJ, but hired other people to write and direct. The problem with TPM and AOTC is that he chose to write and direct himself. I guess he forgot about a little something called Howard the Duck. :D

Radhnoti
02-12-2004, 09:38 AM
Dreamkil....er....I mean, Masterkiller. When you say: "it is hinted that they are losing their connection to the Force. This is because they blindly trust science and machines...".

Did you also mean to add that Jedi are hereby and henceforth to be renamed "tree huggin' hippies"?

I can't stand it...
In the name of all that HOLY, why didn't they just leave the first three movies alone!

;)

Master Killer - "Ewok, shmee-wok. They are important because they are technologically ignorant."

Think how much cooler it would have been had that been a planet of wookies as originally planned...

Gangsterfist
02-12-2004, 09:46 AM
Lucas rejected my script for:

Predator Vs. Ewok

What a lameo!

MasterKiller
02-12-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Radhnoti
Did you also mean to add that Jedi are hereby and henceforth to be renamed "tree huggin' hippies"?They learn that sentient creatures are luminous beings which are not bound by physical constraints. You call it hippy, I call it Pop-Buddhism. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Think how much cooler it would have been had that been a planet of wookies as originally planned... True. But I also agree with Lucas that Chewbacca had been shown to be too smart and technologically savvy, which would take away from the emphasis of Nature vs Technology in the Battle of Endor. Really, this is the most important theme of all the movies. Notice how the Imperial ships and machines keep getting Bigger and Bigger as the movies progress? The huge, powerful, and evil Mechanized Empire falls at the hands of a group of rag tag rebels and some silly little teddy bears that remain close to nature. In the end, the Force is more powerful than any Death Star. To quote Vader: "Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."

Besides, the opening scene of EP III is the Battle of Kashyyk, where the wookies get to whoop some @ss.

Radhnoti
02-12-2004, 09:51 AM
Just what the world needed.

A film showing "hippy-power".

I can hear 'em in the theatres now. "You see Moon-Puppy-Love's-Hope? I told you that the evil machine-lovers would burn in a fiery hades by the end of the films."

:D

MasterKiller
02-12-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Radhnoti
Just what the world needed.

A film showing "hippy-power".

I can hear 'em in the theatres now. "You see Moon-Puppy-Love's-Hope? I told you that the evil machine-lovers would burn in a fiery hades by the end of the films."

:D In EP III, the Empire wins.

KC Elbows
02-12-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
In EP III, the Empire wins.

As you already know(force.net geek;) ), they've already got James Earl Jones contracted for voice over.

I will be so happy when that bratty little kid gets denied the best Vader line of the three new films.

I'm not fond of the new three, but I'll still see the newest one once it comes out. They have enough of the old stuff in there to give me hope for a good ending to it all, if a geeky one.

Gangsterfist
02-12-2004, 10:15 AM
I don't think the main moral is technology is bad. Look at all the technology Lucas uses to create the movies. I love technology. I love my central air conditioner in the summer and my heating in the winter. Technology makes that possible.

I think moral is sometimes people become jaded and over complicate things. This is probably contributed to basic human nature. I think the same problem occurs in martial arts. People write a 30 page disertation on a straight punch. Describing all the science behind the punch. They often forget that a punch is pretty simple, especially a straight punch. Its from point A to B for the most part.

The jedi have all this science and technology and feel it can all be explained and broken down into this complicated science. This is because they view themselves as real sophisticated beings, so they justify all this technology they have created. They are sophisticated and advanced so this science they have discoverd must be true, then they marvel in their greatness not realizing how jaded they have actually become.

Its sad to say, but I have even met some Martial artists like this. I guess it really is basic human nature.

BTW, Masterkiller have you seen the internet video Art of the sabre? Two brothers filmed it with a camcorder and added some computer FX. I believe they were Wushu (contemporary) practioners. I think it looks better than a lot of actual star wars footage of light sabre fights.

Here is a link to their site:

http://www.theforce.net/theater/fxprojects/artofthesaber/index.shtml

You should check it out its really cool. I heard that after this video got circulated both brothers were hired by sony to do motion capture for some of the jedi video games.

MasterKiller
02-12-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Gangsterfist
I don't think the main moral is technology is bad. Look at all the technology Lucas uses to create the movies. I love technology. I love my central air conditioner in the summer and my heating in the winter. Technology makes that possible.

I think moral is sometimes people become jaded and over complicate things. This is probably contributed to basic human nature. I think the same problem occurs in martial arts. People write a 30 page disertation on a straight punch. Describing all the science behind the punch. They often forget that a punch is pretty simple, especially a straight punch. Its from point A to B for the most part.

The jedi have all this science and technology and feel it can all be explained and broken down into this complicated science. This is because they view themselves as real sophisticated beings, so they justify all this technology they have created. They are sophisticated and advanced so this science they have discoverd must be true, then they marvel in their greatness not realizing how jaded they have actually become.
I agree. Technology in of itself isn't bad. Total reliance on technology is. Afterall, their main weapon is a lightsaber, which is a complicated piece of equipment. Balance is the issue. In the prequels, they don't have it.

BTW, Masterkiller have you seen the internet video Art of the sabre? Two brothers filmed it with a camcorder and added some computer FX. I believe they were Wushu (contemporary) practioners. I think it looks better than a lot of actual star wars footage of light sabre fights. I've seen it. It's pretty awesome, but I still like "Duality" better. That ending rocks where they both fall in pieces.

GeneChing
02-12-2004, 10:38 AM
The whole ewok thing was because Lucas wasn't technically capable to do some wookie battel scene finale - couldn't find enough tall people, so he went short. Ewok is wookie spelled sideways. Now he can do it digitally, so it'll be interesting to see if he can actualize his initial vision.

Star Wars gave us the 'force' and the jedi. That was a brilliant metaphor, a derivation of Joseph Campbell's work. That alone makes it worthwhile. Plus, if you were old enough to remember when the original opened, you know how it changed culture, but that was back in the day. You'd have to be old school to remember. That was when you'd have to sit through 2 hours of crappy animation just to see a minute or two of computer animation, and it would totally blow your mind.

Shaolinlueb
02-12-2004, 11:05 AM
man that art of the sabre was mad cool. I saved that ish to my harddrive. Does anyone know how hard it is to put those affects in?

MasterKiller
02-12-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
man that art of the sabre was mad cool. I saved that ish to my harddrive. Does anyone know how hard it is to put those affects in? With Adobe AfterEffects it isn't hard, but pretty time consuming. You have to align the saber frame-by-frame, but it's pretty easy to create.

Gangsterfist
02-12-2004, 11:13 AM
Depends on your computer knowledge. If you get interested I recomend picking up one of the class room in a book series of the application you choose to edit and do special effects. My roomate does some film work and he uses premeire and he learned all from that book. I have done some editing work before and its not that hard once you get to know the program.

Shaolinlueb
02-12-2004, 11:15 AM
hmmm frame by frame? I guess it would make a good summer project then :D

thansk for the info.
DO you have the link to the other one MK with the people falling apart?

so adobe premiere and after effects can do most the stuff?

Gangsterfist
02-12-2004, 11:18 AM
Yeah adobe makes good stuff that is not all that hard to learn.

If you want to get real advanced look at video toaster (for PC) and Final cut Pro (for Mac). But those are more costly, and believe me it gets costly.

Shaolinlueb
02-12-2004, 11:24 AM
strong bad gave me some pencil sharpenings as cash. good thing adobe takes them .....

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail96.html

brothernumber9
02-12-2004, 11:27 AM
I hope they focus a little on the bounty hunters' role. It'd be cool if alongside boba fett they had some cool and powerful bounty hunters.
It would almost be as if the jedi were the TCMA practitioners and the bounty hunters were the MMA practitioners. Either that or a slight similarity to the boxer rebellion, a new power takes over and attempts to purge that which could potentially cause or seed a re-coup.
I read that the fight scene between obi wan and anakin is one of the longest if not THE longest fight scene/duel in film history, something like 12min+, and that the choreographer(sp?) amalgamated several traditional sword martial arts styles to develop the techniques for the fight.
I also heard there is shadow talk of sequels as well, that may focus more on wookies, at least chewbacca.
The sith rule anyway

MasterKiller
02-12-2004, 11:31 AM
[B]DO you have the link to the other one MK with the people falling apart?http://galactic-voyage.com/Movies-Fan%20Films.htm#Duality

so adobe premiere and after effects can do most the stuff? Pretty much. Theforce.net has some great tutorials on making a SW fan film. http://www.theforce.net/theater/tutorials.shtml

rubthebuddha
02-12-2004, 11:37 AM
the longest fight scene ever was in "they live" between roddy piper and keith david. the nature of the fight?

"where these sunglasses."
"no."
"c'mon. you'll see something really interesting."
"no."
*smack*
and this begins about 84 minutes of fighting on urban streets and alleys.

Shaolinlueb
02-12-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
the longest fight scene ever was in "they live" between roddy piper and keith david. the nature of the fight?

"where these sunglasses."
"no."
"c'mon. you'll see something really interesting."
"no."
*smack*
and this begins about 84 minutes of fighting on urban streets and alleys.

dude that movie was awesome. :cool:

MK that one duality was cool, but i like the fight scenese in the sabre one better. thanks though i saved that one to my hd too.

Gangsterfist
02-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Longest fight scene ever? Maybe longest sword fight...

I think that Jet Li, in Fist of Legend does a longer scene than 12 minuets when he fights the japanese guy at the end. They fight around the whole complex and then some more. I am sure it was around 15 to 17 minutes.

however, I have no proof I will have to watch it when I get home and time it.

Vash
02-12-2004, 02:35 PM
They Live owns all.

red5angel
02-12-2004, 02:38 PM
where would one find this art of the sabre movie?

MasterKiller
02-12-2004, 02:51 PM
http://www.theforce.net/theater/fxprojects/artofthesaber/index.shtml

It's great, but I think they should have put more into the costumes. Too matrix-y.

joedoe
02-12-2004, 03:41 PM
joedoe, Anakin is going to kill Dooku in the opening sequence. What happens is Palpatine is captured by Dooku (either betrayl, or to lure th Jedi there to die) and Anakin kicks his butt.

Ok, here is the dillyo. In the opening sequence, Palpatine has been captured by Dooku. Number of reasons floating why.

1.) Palpatine hopes Dooku is defeated by Anakin, thus planting the seeds for his betrayl to the dark side. (Dooku does not know).

2.) Dooku wants to actually kill Palpatine for whatever reason.

3.) Plot to lure Anakin into the open, being killed by Dooku so the most powerful Jedi is gone.

I think it is either 1 or 3. I think it might be a mixture, Palpatine wants Dooku dead, but if Anakin dies in the process, he'll keep Dooku.

Could possibly be that Palpatine sets it up, possibly having kept secret the fact that he and Darth Bane are one and the same.

Brithlor
02-12-2004, 03:54 PM
The Force is strong with this thread...

MasterKiller
02-12-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by joedoe

Could possibly be that Palpatine sets it up, possibly having kept secret the fact that he and Darth Bane are one and the same. I don't think so. Bane died a few years after the Sith Wars. I'm assuming he has passed his legacy on just as Palpatine is--thru Master and Apprentice.

Serpent
02-12-2004, 10:25 PM
Masterkiller - you truly are the Geek Lord of Star Wars Lore. I love the movies and think I know a bit about them, but your depth of knowledge is astounding.

There's a new TV show over here where people answer questions on their chosen specialist subject. You should pop over and apply. I'm sure you'd win.

So, based on that, I have a question for you:

This whole midichlorian thing - is it really gonna be proven to be a heap of goats balls? Cos that was the single biggest problem I had with the prequels. And, if so, do you think that Lucas original liked the midichlorian idea, but decided to reverse it like this after the fan outrage?

joedoe
02-12-2004, 10:33 PM
I don't think so. Bane died a few years after the Sith Wars. I'm assuming he has passed his legacy on just as Palpatine is--thru Master and Apprentice.

Ooops. I meant Darth Sidius, not Bane.

PHILBERT
02-13-2004, 12:04 AM
Serpent, everyone around Lucas swears that the midichlorian count has been around since the original, just never implimented. In the books, they had designed machines that guaged a Force user (In Jedi Search, Luke gave Lando such a machine to check on someone). It was a machine with a person, and had an blue field around the person. The denser, the more the person had knowledge of the Force. No field, no Force power.

I doubt Lucas will change it, its not like him to change things like that.

Christopher M
02-13-2004, 12:31 AM
I have no idea what ANY of you are talking about... (http://www.alternativenation.net/photos/data/500/4582MSN_Chat_Deterrant.jpg)

MasterKiller
02-13-2004, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Serpent
This whole midichlorian thing - is it really gonna be proven to be a heap of goats balls? Cos that was the single biggest problem I had with the prequels. And, if so, do you think that Lucas original liked the midichlorian idea, but decided to reverse it like this after the fan outrage? I think his plan was to always show that the Jedi became so arrogant that they began to think they knew everything about everything. The clues are all there. Think about the librarian in AOTC. She says "If it isn't in our archives, it doesn't exist!" Man, that's some hubris. Yoda tells Obi-Wan a little later than even the more knowledgeable and more experienced Jedi are showing arrogance like Anakin, insinuating Obi-Wan is at fault. Dex, the cafe owner in AOTC, tells Obi-Wan that the Jedi rely on their encyrption machines too much and don't trust their own knowledge, which is why Obi-Wan will later tell a young Luke Skywalker to turn off his targeting computer and stretch out his feelings to hit the heat exhaust on the first Death Star.

Qui-Gon Jinn is the poster child for arrogance and rugged individualism, so much so that even the young arrogant Obi-Wan questions his actions in TPM, and afterall, Qui-Gon set all this into motion when he took Anakin under his wing against the wisdom of the Jedi Council.

To answer your questiion, I think Lucas tried to answer why the Force is transferred through bloodlines. However, if you take what Yoda says in ESB to heart, I cannot help but see a reversal of thought in EP III.

Ooops. I meant Darth Sidius, not BaneYep. It's pretty much a given that Sidious reveals himself in EP III. What you will find out, though, is that Sidious is just as freaky looking as he was in ROTJ. He uses the Force to disguise himself and look younger.

No field, no Force power.

I doubt Lucas will change it, its not like him to change things like that.Don't be so sure. Originally, Owen Lars was Obi-Wan's big brother. It says so in the original Star Wars novel. Lucas changed that little factoid in AOTC. Besides, in the books, the Yuzzang Vong don't even register in the Force and can't be affected by it, so there are still some mysteries to be worked out.

Serpent
02-13-2004, 07:19 AM
To answer your questiion, I think Lucas tried to answer why the Force is transferred through bloodlines. However, if you take what Yoda says in ESB to heart, I cannot help but see a reversal of thought in EP III.

Nail. Head. WHAM!

The thing that appealed to me the most about Star Wars was the obvious relation between the Force and the Tao/Qi/whathaveyou. Lucas completely destroyed that with his midichlorian thing.

The Force is always there and "available" to anyone. A friend of mine tried to rationalise it by saying that a person strong in the Force would attract more midichlorians, but it simply was not explained that way in the prequels.

I really hope they are debunked in the next movie.

MasterKiller
02-13-2004, 07:23 AM
The Force is always there and "available" to anyone. A friend of mine tried to rationalise it by saying that a person strong in the Force would attract more midichlorians, but it simply was not explained that way in the prequels.

I really hope they are debunked in the next movie. Well, technically, everyone has midi-chloirans. They exist in all living things. But more midi-chlorians = more ability to use the Force.

Serpent
02-13-2004, 07:27 AM
Well, technically, everyone has midi-chloirans. They exist in all living things. But more midi-chlorians = more ability to use the Force.

I paraphrase, however:

"The Force flows through everything - you, me, the rock..."

Rocks ain't living things.

MasterKiller
02-13-2004, 07:37 AM

I paraphrase, however:

"The Force flows through everything - you, me, the rock..."

Rocks ain't living things. "Life creates it, makes it grow. It's energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you...me...the tree...the rock...everywhere! Yes, even between this land and that ship!"

The Force flows around all inanimate objects, but is created and fed by all living things.

PHILBERT
02-13-2004, 03:37 PM
Don't be so sure. Originally, Owen Lars was Obi-Wan's big brother. It says so in the original Star Wars novel. Lucas changed that little factoid in AOTC. Besides, in the books, the Yuzzang Vong don't even register in the Force and can't be affected by it, so there are still some mysteries to be worked out.

Aye, but the Vong COULD be effected by the Force as far as push, shove, etc. They could not be detected like touching the mind to know someone was there, but if one came at you, you could throw him back using the Force. Just like Vader did in Empire with the boxes to Luke, and Obi-Wan and Anakin did to the droids in TPM and AotC.

Serpent
02-13-2004, 09:02 PM
"Life creates it, makes it grow. It's energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you...me...the tree...the rock...everywhere! Yes, even between this land and that ship!"

The Force flows around all inanimate objects, but is created and fed by all living things.

Hmm. OK, I'll have to think about that.

Midichlorians still suck ass though.

Vash
02-13-2004, 10:00 PM
Midichlorians still suck ass though.

Take out Midichlorians and plug in Star Wars, the effect is the same. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Shaolinlueb
02-13-2004, 11:37 PM
i thought force was like qi, but then in episode 1 they started explaining about parasites and i was like wqtf.

Felipe Bido
02-14-2004, 07:30 AM
Wow

MasterKiller
02-14-2004, 12:44 PM
i thought force was like qi, but then in episode 1 they started explaining about parasites and i was like wqtf. No. The Force is not an internal object like Qi, it is an external object. The Force is like Emerson's Over-Soul...an energy field from which all life comes and eventually returns. In SW mythology, those with an affinity can also tap into the energy and use it to perform extra-human feats, such as jump high, turn invisible, see the future, etc...It is certainly available to everyone, but those with a high sensitivity just have a better ability to tap into it.

When people die in SW, they merge with the Force and becomes one with this energy. Yoda figures out, through Qui-Gon's awakening, that it is also possible to temporarily maintain your identity once merged with the Force.

MasterKiller
02-14-2004, 12:48 PM

Aye, but the Vong COULD be effected by the Force as far as push, shove, etc. They could not be detected like touching the mind to know someone was there, but if one came at you, you could throw him back using the Force. Just like Vader did in Empire with the boxes to Luke, and Obi-Wan and Anakin did to the droids in TPM and AotC. OK. But Lucas does change things, like the Owen/Obi-Wan relationship, just like he changed C3PO and Boba Fett's origins from previosly existing story lines in the expanded universe. It's his creative license, I suppose....but shlt, what's up with Greedo shooting first in the Special Editions? He's trying to sanitize the violence a little too much. That's the difference between a 22 year-old film-maker, and a 55 year-old grandpa film-maker, I guess.

PHILBERT
02-15-2004, 11:10 PM
Yes, the Greedo shooting first was dumb. I like the quote from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back that goes "I'm not saying that I don't think that a Bluntman and Chronic film isn't the worst idea since Greedo shot first."

I love IMDB.com

And as far as the origins, Lucas said before TPM came out that to screw the EU, he'd make it how he wants. Take the Tales of the Jedi series, totally destroyed because on TotJ, the masters had several students at once, and it was not on Coruscaunt, but other planets too.

Stranger
02-16-2004, 10:18 PM
Boba Fett's origins from previosly existing story lines in the expanded universe --

Are you saying that his origin was changed between the first 3 movies (IV,V, & VI) and the last 3 movies (I, II, & III) or are you referring to some storyline in the books?

MasterKiller
02-17-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Stranger
--
Are you saying that his origin was changed between the first 3 movies (IV,V, & VI) and the last 3 movies (I, II, & III) or are you referring to some storyline in the books? His origins were explained in some of the expanded universe books as Jester Mereel, an ex policeman. Those books are no longer considered canon, though.

PHILBERT
02-17-2004, 01:29 PM
MK, did you know in the Return of the Jedi Special Edition, they had an actual female actress play Mara Jade? You can clearly see her a few times in Jabba's Palace, around the time when I think Luke or Leia come in. Not sure though.

red5angel
02-17-2004, 01:37 PM
MK, did you know in the Return of the Jedi Special Edition, they had an actual female actress play Mara Jade?

Now your just making that up!

red5angel
02-17-2004, 01:39 PM
speaking of EU versus canon, what about Timothy Zahns crap. Worst thing to happen to Star Wars ever!

MasterKiller
02-17-2004, 01:40 PM
MK, did you know in the Return of the Jedi Special Edition, they had an actual female actress play Mara Jade? You can clearly see her a few times in Jabba's Palace, around the time when I think Luke or Leia come in. Not sure though. That's an urban legend. The actress they hired was for taking pictures of Mara for the trading card game, and SW ****s got excited and ran with the idea of her being in the movie. I'm pretty sure (99.9%) Mara is not in the Special Edition.

Shannon Baksa is the actress.

Edit---There is a lot of chatter about an EU dancer named Arica, whom Mara was supposed to have killed and assumed her identity in order to get close to Luke. This dancer doesn't have any screen time, either, though, as far as I know.

MasterKiller
02-17-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by red5angel
speaking of EU versus canon, what about Timothy Zahns crap. Worst thing to happen to Star Wars ever! I've never been a fan of any of the EU.

red5angel
02-17-2004, 01:56 PM
I've never been a fan of any of the EU.

some of it's ok, some of it isn't, however I refuse to acknowledge Mr. Zahns blasphemous and horrible attempt at adding depth to the star wars universe.

norther practitioner
02-17-2004, 02:17 PM
I've never been a fan of any of the EU

There'll never be that much Union in Europe.. I wouldn't be scared guys...

:D

oh, wait. nevermind.

red5angel
02-17-2004, 02:19 PM
NP, I think you, like me, needs to get a new job!!!

norther practitioner
02-17-2004, 02:35 PM
LOL.. yeah well, It is my monday.. and we're just 3 twenty somethings in a state office working on the same thing, with no bosses around.. how productive do you expect us to be.

PHILBERT
02-17-2004, 06:23 PM
That's an urban legend. The actress they hired was for taking pictures of Mara for the trading card game, and SW ****s got excited and ran with the idea of her being in the movie. I'm pretty sure (99.9%) Mara is not in the Special Edition.

Shannon Baksa is the actress.

Edit---There is a lot of chatter about an EU dancer named Arica, whom Mara was supposed to have killed and assumed her identity in order to get close to Luke. This dancer doesn't have any screen time, either, though, as far as I know.

This was before the Mara Jade card came out. If you go watch Return of the Jedi Special Edition (came out in 97, the card first appeared in like 99), watch the parts where Leia and Luke come in. You can see her in the background talking to some of the other dancers, like she is asking "Wtf is going on". I'll have to go watch it later to see if it was Luke or Leia.

MasterKiller
04-09-2004, 07:56 AM
General Greivous begins the decimation of the Jedi. Watch Episode 20:

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/clonewars/index.html

PHILBERT
04-09-2004, 08:31 AM
Sweeeeeet. I only got up to Episode 15, I have to watch them online. I like to pause between episodes so I get to watch a few between and not one a day.

Ray Pina
04-09-2004, 08:45 AM
When does this come out?

I look at "the force" as the Doa and as Chi.

The Doa brings forth all things and is everything. Scientifically, you can say it's maybe all the strings vibrating in string theory. That includes "animate" and "inanimate" objects. Some would say rocks have rock chi, people have people chi, ect.

Anyway, I enjoyed all the movies for what they were. My favorite is still Empire Strikes back but the last one was pretty good. I was an Ewok for Halloween one year as a kid, my mother could sow like a mother...

Looking forward to the next movie. I always wondered when it would all be done so I could buy the complete package .... so it looks like DVD will be the technological forum... wondered about that too.

MasterKiller
04-09-2004, 09:49 AM
EP III will be out next May.

Episodes IV-VI will be released on DVD this Sept.

The Clone Wars cartoon DVD (link above) will be out sometime this summer.