PDA

View Full Version : Whats your actual kung-fu skill level?

stimulant
02-12-2004, 01:47 AM
Whats your actual kung-fu skill level?

now i'm not talking in rank / grade. i'm not talking in sparing as i'm pretty sure 99% of the TCMA people here use very little of the form techniques in sparing.

I'm talking about your actual form techniques applied skill level.

I've found with myself personally that its very hit and miss. When I least expected it I'll suprise myself - for exmaple, just two days a ago a workmate went to give me a playful push form behind...at the last moment I turned my head and saw them then without thinking, I easy parried and trapped one arm, eveaded the other, had them off balance with my fist slow moving towards their face before (playfully) touching them on the nose and releasing them.

another time a guy down the gym went to give me a 'dead arm' without thinking again I took a technique striaght out of form and left him on his back looking at the roof with us both wondering how I did that!

now obviously this doesnt work eveyrtime I'm attack when not expecting it...only occasionally.

both of these two examples were with no thought, relaxed and no strength, and so easy. Yet...if I try the same in sparing, or when i expected an attack I have to try much harder to get a technique to work, and very often with little success.

So my level of TCMA skill?? Well one or two of my forms are good, the rest are better than ok, my 10 line Tan Tui is very good, and my fight skill has occasional moments of TCMA application genius....but in general my fighting skill is low unless I revert to my 'good old days' of Muay Thai and kick-boxing.

I guess I have to train harder in forms and two man drills.

so whats your actually level of TCMA application skill like in the rest of you guys...in fact it doesnt matter if you dont do CMA...whats your traditonal application skill like?

kungfu cowboy
02-12-2004, 01:50 AM
Sometimes I automatically drop my pants and/or draw a quick sketch of "Whistler's Mother".

Toby
02-12-2004, 01:57 AM
I suck.

Ben Gash
02-12-2004, 03:50 AM
Better than some, worse than others :cool:
Work on bridging and sensitivity. Use the technique for the opening that's presented, rather than forcing an opening for the technique you've chosen.

Sho
02-12-2004, 04:24 AM
I'm not very good, but I always use techniques (except grappling) that were taught in non-sparring classes. They are completely spontaneous and I'm very happy about it. I would never digress to a noncoherent way of sparring (aka kung fu kickboxing), because our classes have provided me with the appropriate training to stick to the style when sparring. The sparring type is full-contact with groundfighting, either with 16oz gloves or MMA gloves. Our CLF training, for the most part, consists of simple combination training, two-man drills in a very spontaneous and sparring-like manner and body conditioning - forms are never practiced in class.

Ray Pina
02-12-2004, 07:23 AM
On the outside, I'd say I'm pretty good.

In house, training with my teacher, I'd say I just became a green belt.

We don't use belts, but when I think of what he's capable of and what I'm capable of, I think I still have a long waaaay to go. The movements are there, but I only own a handful. These work wonders for me, but I want it all.

Judge Pen
02-12-2004, 07:57 AM
Yeah, there are times when I do something that just amazes me, but on the whole I'd say I'm still a novice compared to other people I have seen.

MasterKiller
02-12-2004, 08:01 AM
My skill level is currently 6. I need 750 more experience points to reach level 7.

No_Know
02-12-2004, 08:05 AM
"I'm talking about your actual form techniques applied skill level."

Hi(gh).

KC Elbows
02-12-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
My skill level is currently 6. I need 750 more experience points to reach level 7.

A good run with a deck of many things, and you could be a master!

As for me, I'm an extra large. My skill with being mean is high, my skill with acrobatics is incomparable and only mitigated by my total inability to defy gravity, and my skill to apply basics consistently is decent, but I need to spar more often(been very busy lately), or I'll get rusty.

And before anyone comments, the acrobatics thing was a joke. I don't generally leap and fight.

MonkeySlap Too
02-12-2004, 08:13 AM
I can't NOT use the biomechanics of my art.

Does that mean I always use rote 1,2,3 techniques? Sometimes. But we don't train that way.

If you don't fight like you train (realizing fighting is ugly and adaptive, not literal translations of moves), you are training wrong, there is something missing in your methodology, or you have trained for < 1-3 years.

Ray Pina
02-12-2004, 09:12 AM
In actuality, I use about 2 or 3 aproach moves -- they can be offensive or defensive. From there, I know the possibilities of what the guy can do and how to solve them.

I look at it like chess. I have 2 or 3 opening moves. Doesn't matter what the other guy does his first two or three moves. From there we fight for the middle, open files, position, ect.

If the guy is no good, the game is lost in those first 3 moves though it may not reveal itself until 10 moves in. I find fighting the same way.

red5angel
02-12-2004, 09:16 AM
now i'm not talking in rank / grade. i'm not talking in sparing as i'm pretty sure 99% of the TCMA people here use very little of the form techniques in sparing.

Then why would you practice the forms? I've found many techniques burried in the forms I have studied have been useful and SURPRISE! Effective in some manner or another, even in sparring.

yutyeesam
02-12-2004, 09:26 AM
skill level doesn't matter. what matters is how GOOD you look, how shiny your uniform is, and how loud you can scream.

martial arts training is all about impressing the chicks.

Suntzu
02-12-2004, 09:44 AM
i'm ok.... someedays are better than others....... i have a long hit list...

Kymus
02-12-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by yutyeesam
skill level doesn't matter. what matters is how GOOD you look, how shiny your uniform is, and how loud you can scream.

martial arts training is all about impressing the chicks.

lol, tell it how it is!

Shaolinlueb
02-12-2004, 10:22 AM
my kung fu is soooooooo good :rolleyes:
they call me
THE GREAT SAGE EQUALLING HEAVEN

:o

I'm okay, im good at some things, and many things i need to improve on. i try to use what i learn in forms in sparring. its not that easy. im still intermediate

Kymus
02-12-2004, 10:22 AM
I can reach Super Saiyan 9 :-o

Ray Pina
02-12-2004, 10:23 AM
Red 5, I can tell you've been sparring .... Now who's the one who is agressive and calling BS all over the place?;)

You must worship your teacher. None of that stuff you do (which I haven't seen) can work.:rolleyes:

Keep it up. Just remember that at one time you had an idea of what MA is and now it is changing. Two years from now you'll look at what you are doing now as stupid and inpractical.

Kymus
02-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
my kung fu is soooooooo good :rolleyes:
they call me
THE GREAT SAGE EQUALLING HEAVEN

:o

that's all? Pft, My Super Saiyan 9 could kick your THE GREAT SAGE EQUALLING HEAVEN's azz any day!
You goin down foo!

Shaolinlueb
02-12-2004, 10:41 AM
one wack from my cudgel and you will splatter all over :D

Kymus
02-12-2004, 10:47 AM
one wack from my cudgel and you will splatter all over :D

but the question is, which me is really me? my Super Saiyan teacher (who's name I can not reveal because it is forbidden(I was also forbidden to look at him)) taught me the way of the dopple ganger. :D

SifuAbel
02-12-2004, 11:12 AM
I am a friggin GOD!!!!!!!!!

Shaolinlueb
02-12-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Kymus

but the question is, which me is really me? my Super Saiyan teacher (who's name I can not reveal because it is forbidden(I was also forbidden to look at him)) taught me the way of the dopple ganger. :D

I'll pull out some hairs from my side yell "change" and there will be many of me super saiyen :P

apoweyn
02-12-2004, 11:44 AM

Gangsterfist
02-12-2004, 12:41 PM
I would say my skill is pretty high. I can beat over 40 opponets on survivor mode, on the difficult setting. Against human opponets my longest winning streak was like 35 matches. I unlocked all the extra costumes and secret characters. I even beat the game with the slow grapplers.

In fact if you challange me, I won't even dignify myself with a response. I simply hand you your controller and then destroy you. Then I go after your next of kin for bothering me.

Gargoyle again
02-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Sheesh :rolleyes:

The original poster writes a well written honest question and it gets gobbled by the yabbering goofball hordes. KFO lives!

norther practitioner
02-12-2004, 01:30 PM
I'm a 6.7

Lets see I can use a few punches and kicks.. does that count for anything.

Ford Prefect
02-12-2004, 01:39 PM
Strength: 18
Agility: 16
Intelligence: 4
Wisdom: 7
Kung fu: 10

I get a race bonus in strength and intelligence though.

Ralphie
02-12-2004, 01:42 PM
I'm only level 4, but I have a +5 Vorpal Sword.

blooming lotus
02-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
Strength: 18
Agility: 16
Intelligence: 4
Wisdom: 7
Kung fu: 10

I get a race bonus in strength and intelligence though.

STRENGTH: 16
AGILITY: 19
INTELLIEGENCE: 20
WISDOM: 16
KUNGFU: UNKNOWN
SPELLCHECKING/TYPING : 3
:D

F*CKKNOWS...WHO ARE WE COMPARING TO..I THINK I CAN DEFEND MYSELF :cool:

Fu-Pau
02-12-2004, 07:27 PM
my skill level is 18...

SifuAbel
02-13-2004, 01:33 AM

I'm spartacus!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fu-Pau
02-13-2004, 02:27 AM
42... is that good then?

stimulant
02-13-2004, 02:51 AM
so basically everyones kungfu is $hit, but their RPG skills are great?

manofkent
02-13-2004, 02:56 AM
Cool, we should all make up our own kung fu cards and play top trumps.

scotty1
02-13-2004, 06:41 AM
You sad *******s.:D

My own level of skill is fairly low, becuse this is the first time I've concentrated on one art, properly trained, for quite some time.

But I'm gettting better. I'd say I'm an middling level beginner.

David Jamieson
02-13-2004, 06:46 AM
D amn you Abel, I was gonna say that!
:mad:

dodger87
02-13-2004, 10:41 AM
same skill level as a baboon.

SifuAbel
02-13-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
D amn you Abel, I was gonna say that!
:mad:

Which one,
42 or I'm spartacus?

I guess there are few hitchhikers fans on the board. Maybe they are too young.

:rolleyes: :D

Ford Prefect
02-13-2004, 01:17 PM
What gave you that idea, Abel? ;)

Shaolinlueb
02-13-2004, 01:22 PM
i want to reroll my 3 D6's for stat's.

txwingchun
02-13-2004, 01:59 PM
i want to reroll my 3 D6's for stat's.

Sorry you can't reroll those. You should've used a point allocation system instead..

I'm still attempting to reach level 1

dezhen2001
02-15-2004, 06:35 AM
havent trained properly for a long time, no partners and my skill has all vanished :(

dawood

blooming lotus
02-15-2004, 01:46 PM
not vanished...just sleeping;) ...

will awaken anytime you're ready :D

Chinwoo-er
02-16-2004, 04:37 PM
my Kung-Fu-Skill-Level is something like a basement. Although some argued that it actually classifies as a carpark