PDA

View Full Version : The Significance of the knees in Qi Gong

woliveri
03-12-2001, 05:06 PM
I have a number of Qi Gong exercises, which place the hands (either palm up or palm down) on the knees while sitting. Can any TCM or Qi Gong practitioners explain the functionality that would be stimulated with the knees?

There is no spoon. "The Matrix"
There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. "The Matrix"

qimaster
03-13-2001, 02:39 AM
functionality of hands palm up or palm down on the knees:

#1: convenience

#2: perhaps to line up the laogong (p8) with the
yong chun (k1) points.

other than that, control of blood flow, and hence energetic flow, to the hands. if the hands are hanging by the sides, there will be greater pressure in the them. if they are held up, it will create more stress on the limbs, etc..

rm

http://www.geocities.com/sijai2000

woliveri
03-13-2001, 06:43 PM
I am about 90 percent sure of the answer to my question, I just wanted someone to confirm it. QiMaster, your answer was not what I was looking for. Also, when sitting, how does lao gung line up with yong chaun and what effect would that have?

There is no spoon. "The Matrix"
There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. "The Matrix"

Ma_Xu_Zha
03-19-2001, 12:06 AM
Just wanted to say that from what i learned in gouling qigong sitting palm up or down has to do with nourishment (palm down) vs purge or release (palm up) and that hands placed high on the thigh means working with curing illnesse associated with head and upper body, mid way on the thigh means middle body and at the knees means lower body.

hope this helps.

Ma_Xu_Zha
03-20-2001, 06:02 PM
Buddhist hold there hand in specific postures on thighs for energy and states of consciousness reasons also