PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk about food

ketchup
02-12-2004, 07:31 PM
Having just quit smoking, my interest in food and my appetite have increased alot lately. Basically, I try to eat cheap, healthy, and somewhat gourmet meals. However, my cooking skills are limited. Today, I had an organic apple with honey for breakfast followed by some San Francisco sourdough toast, first with Nutella (very big in Italy), then rose hip jam. Lunch was garlic and thyme bread with organic romaine, cilantro, and sardines. Cilantro will MAKE any sandwich, for those who don't know (but not for sweet ones). I read recently somewhere that sardines have obscenely high levels of B12 or something, such that if they were a supplement they would be illegal! About the bread- I bought this garlic and thyme bread this morning at a bakery about 5 blocks from my apartment. It may be about the best bread I've ever tasted- it cost about 3.50 canadian for a loaf. I've never been that into bread before but lately I'm getting into it. This bakery, run by a chinese fellow, rocks- I look forward to trying their sour cherry +chocolate, and their walnut +onion flavors next. This garlic and thyme loaf has whole pieces of baked garlic in it and is amazing. Its funny, this is the second time I've lived close to a bakery- I also lived near one previously in Venice, California (right near where Henry Rollins used to live and his best friend was killed), but then I wasn't into bread so hardly went there- it seems like good peasant food, and I mean that in a good way. I want to try the kind with no yeast there, though, cause i'm aware that there's a school of thought out there that says yeast is bad.
Anyway, later in the day I had steamed organic purple potatoes with red onions (Onions sauteed in sesame oil), ketchup, vinegar, and Mcdonalds hot mustard sauce- the whole thing was pretty tasty but I quit smoking last night so what the he1l. I had some steamed chestnuts with it plus a cup of duck wing soup/gelatin (heated and made liquid..) I made this soup/gelatin last night with duck wings from chinatown (1.60$)- very cheap and very tasty- it seemed like total soul food going down- like nourishing to the very core. I finished that up with some banana and peanut butter gelato, plus a few cups of an excellent osmanthus green tea.

Dinner tonight will be brown basmatie rice with ginger sauce purchased from the local Vancouvfer chinese barbecu placee plus an organic romaine salad with a sweet onion dressing (it rocks- bought it today from Thai away home).

For anyone out there who's into food I highly recommend the website egullet.com -tons of great info, check out the forums. Who's next?

fa_jing
02-19-2004, 02:17 PM
1. How's the quitting program going? Still strong?

2. Sounds delicious, although I tend to go for a higher protein content overall.

norther practitioner
02-19-2004, 03:05 PM
Lunch was garlic and thyme bread with organic romaine, cilantro, and sardines. Cilantro will MAKE any sandwich, for those who don't know (but not for sweet ones).

Yeah, however much cilantro will make a sandwich.. sardines will kill it 10x that.

I try to go for a lot more protien as well.

KWUsCRD
02-20-2004, 10:18 AM
I'm a protien guy too, cans of tuna are nice. But they are very limited (here atleast) in that you can only eat like 2 cans a week before they become unhealthy. Something about unsafe mercury levels in them, bleh, where's Steven Seagal when you need him?

B12 Info if you choose to read up on it...

http://www.cc.nih.gov/ccc/supplements/vitb12.html

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/b12.html

wow, on second look...

Sardines/3 oz canned, oil drained

Calories 177
Total fat (g) 9.8
Saturated fat (g) 1.3
Monounsaturated fat (g) 3.3
Polyunsaturated fat (g) 4.4
Dietary fiber (g) 0
Protein (g) 21
Carbohydrate (g) 0
Cholesterol (mg) 121
Sodium (mg) 00
Beta-carotene (mg) 00
Thiamin (mg) 00
Riboflavin (mg) 0.2
Niacin (mg) 4.5
Vitamin B12 (mcg) 7.6
Calcium (mg) 325
Potassium (mg) 338
Selenium (mcg) 45

Looks like I'm gonna have to start eating those disgusting things...

KWUsCRD
02-20-2004, 10:28 AM
Sorry about that last ramble...

I also just found a can of Octopus in garlic sauce downstairs, it's got 14g's of protien etc.

To stay on topic...

I eat alotta rice, alotta pasta (just got done with a bowl of it), tuna, bread, I need to eat more salad, and weight gainer, for it's protiens and vitamins.

Those are just the quick and easy stuff.

You, like I, need to drink alot of green tea. Recently quitting smoking means we need antioxidents, which green tea provides in order to get our bodies running smoothly again and reduce toxins in the system, stagnant or not. Osmanthus green tea sounds good, I'll look into it. I'm stuck with Stop and Shop brands for now.

I also eat a multi vitamin around 4-5 times a week after breakfast. I don't believe eating it everyday is healthy, I think like anything else, you can over do vitamins too.

That's basically it, I am concious of what I eat but thats about it.

And it sounds like you eat like a king. :D

ketchup
02-20-2004, 11:15 PM
Fajing- I got some smokes today, gonna stop again tomorrow night. Life/work has been very stressful lately- saving money to move away at the end of March, been working alot. I try to eat like a king- its amazing what you can find for cheap if you look for it and know where to look-

Merryprankster
02-21-2004, 10:23 AM
If you followed the schools of thought that said things were bad for you, you'd never get to eat :D

Yeast bad for you? Please. The yeast is killed anyway when the bread is baked. Yet another silly myth perpetuated by somebody looking for a buck off of spurious claims.

jun_erh
02-22-2004, 12:30 PM
I get something called salt and pepper tofu. It is awesome