PDA

View Full Version : Question about grappling from CMA perspective

IronFist
02-13-2004, 01:24 AM
Say a grappler has a kung fu guy in the mount. Couldn't the kung fu guy just iron palm him in the head and crack his skull or something and that would be the end of it?

SifuAbel
02-13-2004, 01:34 AM
Troll....................

IronFist
02-13-2004, 01:55 AM
Blow me. How the **** is that trolling?

stimulant
02-13-2004, 03:40 AM
its been done in the past...but to knockout, not crack skulls

old jong
02-13-2004, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
Say a grappler has a kung fu guy in the mount. Couldn't the kung fu guy just iron palm him in the head and crack his skull or something and that would be the end of it?
Any Kung Fu guy could do this easily but who wants to have his face and shirt full of blood and brain matter?...Yeech!...:eek:

SevenStar
02-13-2004, 04:38 AM
if the grappler is mounted on the kung fu guy, the kung fu guy would not be able to reach his head.

wall
02-13-2004, 04:43 AM
I'm not a grappler and dislike ground stuff but I must admit that if the grappler is mounted right than it is very difficult if not impossible to hit him from below with any meaningful power because you are in a position that prevents efficient power generation, breathing, movement coordination, etc.

W

SevenStar
02-13-2004, 04:54 AM
exactly. What some people will tell you though is that the guy can use short power...

Merryprankster
02-13-2004, 06:24 AM
Even if you're mounted WRONG it's hard (not impossible, but REALLY tough) to get your ass kicked if you're on top in the mount.

That said, anybody with an ounce of ground training should be able to deal with somebody trying to punch at him from the bottom of the mount.

David Jamieson
02-13-2004, 06:49 AM
IF-

If you really want to find out what you can do from the guard, then get in the guard and try what you can.

Better to not find yourself in the guard, but you can't dictate the circumstances or outcome of any confrontation, so train for it.

Idle pondering about things that you make actual is just taking time away from the actual manifestation of the learning to be done.

cheers

Water Dragon
02-13-2004, 07:21 AM
Sure it can be done. Here's hpw you do it. Bridge hard and turn so you are on top of tne grappler. Get one knee under his @ss and your elbows in his thighs. Curl your back and break his guard open. Slide the knee that was in his @ss over his thigh. Bring your other leg around and base out with it. Now transition into cross mount.

From here, you just slide into mount and apply your Iron Palm to his head.

It's very simple really.

David Jamieson
02-13-2004, 07:25 AM
wd- easier said than done (and you know it)

Being in the guard take mores energy than being in the mount, I least from my limited experience. In the guard, you really have to understand a lot of leverage and locking stuff.

In the mount, you have to retain and defend against attempts at losing the position of strength, but you can usually do this while continuing your assault.

Pressing down has advantages over pushing up.

cheers

Water Dragon
02-13-2004, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
wd- easier said than done (and you know it)

Just like everything everyone posts on this forum.

:D

SevenStar
02-13-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
Sure it can be done. Here's hpw you do it. Bridge hard and turn so you are on top of tne grappler. Get one knee under his @ss and your elbows in his thighs. Curl your back and break his guard open. Slide the knee that was in his @ss over his thigh. Bring your other leg around and base out with it. Now transition into cross mount.

From here, you just slide into mount and apply your Iron Palm to his head.

It's very simple really.

dont' forget to posture up and control his torso so that he can't sit up after you reverse him.

MasterKiller
02-13-2004, 10:40 AM
. Get one knee under his @ss and your elbows in his thighs. Curl your back and break his guard open. Isn't your head wide-open during all of this? Maybe I'm picturing it wrong...

SevenStar
02-13-2004, 11:00 AM
two things.

1. KL got the thread wrong - the guy is mounted on you, not in your guard. So, no, you would be nowhere near his head.

2. WD left out a portion pf his guard pass, which I added above. When I am in your guard, I'm going to be trying to control your torso, preventing you from sitting up into me. At the same time, I am trying to posture up. Once I have my posture, you are far from my head.

When I first get into your guard, I will push your arms back - my hands are under your arm pits - I have control of them, and you cannot hit me. When I am ready to initiate my pass, I will posture up quickly, pin your torso down and get my elbows in.

Gangsterfist
02-13-2004, 11:15 AM
You really never want to be mounted, no matter what you or your opponet train in if you are mounted the odds are against you.

Now, I think there is a huge difference between tournament grappling and real life fight grappling. I think in a real fight most grapplers won't take you to the ground, or at least not at first. This is because of the multiple attacker factor. Now, a lot of people will probably disagree with my statements, and that is totally fine by me. It has been my personal experience that going to the ground in a real fight is bad. The last 20+ real fights I have witnessed there has always been more than two people involved. This may not be your personal experience but it is mine. That being stated, when people have gone to the ground I have seen them get stomped. Grappling in real fights would be more of stand up grappling. Sweeps, slams, and other techniques that knock someone on the ground. Getting slammed hard on the ground can end a fight, seen it done before. Perhaps armbars and wrist locks as well in combination with striking the whole time.

Whats stopping you from punching him in the face, eye gouging, fish hooking, ear ripping, etc? Nothing, but what is stopping the guy who is mounting you as well?

However, one last note. A common thing I have seen in stand up fighting is that when one person dominates finally and is knocking the other person down, they grasp onto you and pull you down with them. Then you are on the ground with your opponet. So ground training is definately very important. I just wouldn't try to mount someone immediately in a real fight.

SevenStar
02-13-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Gangsterfist
Whats stopping you from punching him in the face, eye gouging, fish hooking, ear ripping, etc? Nothing, but what is stopping the guy who is mounting you as well?

Distance