PDA

View Full Version : Xing Yi Nei Gong and Rehabilitation

Vash
02-13-2004, 08:01 PM
Okay, soon as my chest gets healed up, I've gotta plan. But, before I detail that plan, here's the extent of the injury.

Injury: Broken cartilage between first right floating rib and sternum. Torn intercostal muscles around effected rib. Rib break about one inch from sternum, crack at start of curve towards back (both healed). Damage to abdominal wall.

Anyway, it looks like I might actually be healed one day. So, here's the idea.

Idea: Two weeks after chest feels 110%, doing nothing different than am now. After that two weeks, begin stretching. If after that two weeks everything's kosher, start on Xingyi Nei Gong. Two weeks after that, if everything's kosher, start some light karate work. Two weeks after that, if everything's kosher, light weight training. and finally, after all that kosher stuff like that there, start bagwork. After two weeks (:eek:) start to increase intensity.

A jumble, not easily interpreted. Oh, well. That's what's going through my head, and what I've got in my training notebook, so any thoughts (particularly on the subject of the Xing Yi Nei Gong being beneficial for encouraging recuperation after a 1+ year off from training due to the aforementioned injury) would be appreciated.

Peace.

IronFist
02-14-2004, 12:20 AM
Sorry, I don't know anything about Xing Yi Nei Gong, but that injury set you back a year? Wow, that's a long time. I feel bad for you :(

rubthebuddha
02-14-2004, 03:53 AM
make darn sure you have plenty of rest times in there, and also make sure your diet is top notch. anything less would put you back further, and that's badness.

dwid
02-14-2004, 08:18 AM
Injury: Broken cartilage between first right floating rib and sternum. Torn intercostal muscles around effected rib. Rib break about one inch from sternum, crack at start of curve towards back (both healed). Damage to abdominal wall.

That sounds pretty rough. From what I know of xing yi nei gong exercises in general, they seem like a good option for slowly shifting back to training, as they are not necessarily too high-impact. I would suggest throwing some qi gong in as well as it seems to be a low impact way to really work on range of motion, which I suspect might be a sore spot for you with that kind of injury.

Just don't rush things and your body will tell you what you're ready for and when.

BTW, which rib was it you injured (as in # from the top or bottom). The reason I ask is that typically the term "floating rib" refers to ribs that have no cartilage connecting them to the sternum (the last two ribs on each side, if I remember correctly).

Vash
02-14-2004, 09:42 AM
I don't know the number on the rib, sorry. It's the first rib below the sternum. My doctor always just called it the first floating rib. Said it's not "floating" like the bottom two ribs, but it's not in line with the sternum, so it takes the name, too.

But, my doctor is, in some ways, insane, so it's okay. I always refer to it as "that motherf#cking thing."

dwid
02-14-2004, 10:35 AM
It's okay, the anatomical term for those is a "false rib" because they share the cartilage of the last true rib instead of having their own cartilage in a direct line to the sternum, but different people call that stuff different things. Anatomical terms change over time.

I was just curious.

:)

Vash
02-14-2004, 11:33 AM
Cool. I didn't know that.