PDA

View Full Version : Pak Gerk training clip

marcus_pasram
02-13-2004, 09:32 PM
Hey everyone,

Here's an example of pak gerk training (http://www.wingchunnyc.com/techniques/ms_media/lan_sau_pak_gerk.htm) from our school. You'll need to view it with Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Comments welcome.

/marcus

Phil Redmond
02-14-2004, 09:09 PM
That would hurt :(
Is this Alan Lee's school? He's always been a WC guy I admired from back at 3 Great Jones St.

marcus_pasram
02-14-2004, 10:22 PM
Hi Phil,

Haven't seen you in 6+ years. Yes that is SiFu Lee's school... and the guy doing the pak gerk is his son.

/marcus

foolinthedeck
02-15-2004, 03:39 AM
thats really nice.
one of the few clips i've seen posted that i have had nothing bad to say about, simple direct and uncompromising IMO.
thanks!

Phil Redmond
02-15-2004, 01:47 PM
Marcus,
I never knew he had a son. He's so lucky to have his son train with him. My grown sons got into girls and that was it for WC.

blooming lotus
02-15-2004, 02:46 PM
nice..but it's kinda d*cking around don't you think...all he really did was buy a bit space and time...not exactly devasting, but I'm sure there's more :cool:

JamesHFYofAZ
02-15-2004, 03:08 PM
Also found some what if's, but since what if's don't count, it worked, there for it was good enough for the time being! Nice pac, man.
but it's kinda d*cking around don't you think You gonna desroy your friends knee, now thats D!(KED.:rolleyes:

marcus_pasram
02-15-2004, 10:34 PM
Hi Phil,

Viewing your site and seeing some of those old pictures made me think about how long you've been involved with Wing Chun. 1970s?

Originally posted by Phil Redmond
Marcus,
I never knew he had a son. He's so lucky to have his son train with him. My grown sons got into girls and that was it for WC.

SiFu Lee's kids are amazing young men; quiet, unassuming and humble.

/marcus

marcus_pasram
02-21-2004, 08:23 PM
Hi James,

Originally posted by JamesHFYofAZ
Also found some what if's, but since what if's don't count, it worked ...<snip>

Can you explain the What IF's? I'd like to get another perspective.

thanks ... marcus

lbrason
02-29-2004, 04:16 AM
Hi Marcus,

I like the clip(s) on your site - how do turn them into java applications?

I have a question (and this is not a criticism!!!) about why after the pak gerk is complete the leg is withdrawn before going forwards again - wouldn't it be quicker to put the leg straight down and follow up/finish with hand techniques?

Thanks, Luke

TjD
02-29-2004, 05:59 AM
good clip!

personally i'd keep charging forward after the pak gerk, but i have a "STRONG LIKE BULL" mentality :D :D :D also doing things like that tends to make drills messy :D

either way the pak gerk was pretty good. the only thing complaint i could have would be that the retreating the food was bad. after a pak gerk like that i'd continue by moving my foot foward. but again, i'm young and "strong like bull" :D nothing bad could ever happen to me right? (like getting hit lots)

marcus_pasram
03-04-2004, 11:40 AM
Hi Luke,

Originally posted by lbrason
Hi Marcus,

I like the clip(s) on your site - how do turn them into java applications?
Lets continue that offline

I have a question (and this is not a criticism!!!) about why after the pak gerk is complete the leg is withdrawn before going forwards again - wouldn't it be quicker to put the leg straight down and follow up/finish with hand techniques?
We practice the technique this way because we always consider ourselves to be smaller, weaker and slower than our opponent. This means that we have to come up with a better way to conquer the opponent. This better way includes a scientific approach as well as fighting strategy. Most of the techniques you see on our site are hypothetical situations. We do it this way to allow the Wing Chun defender to put all the aspects of his Wing Chun technique together. In the example of the technique you see Jones, the smaller of the two individuals perform a pak gerk against the advancing attacker.

Lets consider the moment that Jones makes contact with Simeon's legs and think of the possibilities that can occur from there. Jones has no idea if he has hurt, cripled or stunned Simeon. Simeon could be a big brute with lots of tolerance for pain. Furthermore, he might have the discipline to reachout and grab Jones in a moment of quickness. If this were to happen Jones wouldn't have the structure nor distance to cover himself or execute a counter attack. This would be an exchange! Who wants to exchange blows with someone stronger? Instead Jones uses the momentum to retreat away from the danger hoping to lure Simeon into a more committed attack. This is one part of the strategy behind this technique.

There's a lot more to this technique and its worth the time to examine all the possibilities from different positions so we can better understand how the Wing Chun technique is constructed to really apply our art in a Real situation.

Thanks, Luke
No problem. I hope this little explanation gives you a better idea. If you have more questions feel free to ask away. Though I suggest contacting my SiFu through our website ;)

/marcus

tiger_1
03-04-2004, 02:45 PM
my friends im look good clips and im find good texnic and there must be good teacher , but im like to say about some smal stuf ;all in clips talking to me in all texnic or system of mental traning with him, im cant see road for great speed and progres to great speed in hands texnic,and wingchun is not just conected texnic , but creations with texnic or boddy fight for center line - friendly tiger_1 (must find road for mental presure tho can give finis results great speed , in that good school nide strong electrical impuls or next hard level ):cool:

blooming lotus
03-04-2004, 04:34 PM
I had a look at that, and really...I don't think with in style boundaries..it waso feasible to charge onward....if you have a look at his next move he needed the leverage the pause/back step what ever it was...gave him...I have no beef with that;)