PDA

View Full Version : WHF Drunken Forms

GermanMantis
02-15-2004, 02:49 AM
Hello to all,

as you can read in the titel i'm interessted in the WHF drunken forms. As far as i know there are two of them (Drunken monk and drunken broadsword, the last is published in an aniversity book).
What i like to know:
a) who brought these form in the mantis system.
b) are they also performed in a mantislike way.
c) who knows these forms :D

Thanks for your help.

Greetings from Germany!
German Mantis

MantisifuFW
02-15-2004, 08:17 AM
German Mantis,

Like you, I wondered how these sets originally came into the system. I have been uncertain for years but recently-surfaced old texts and interview material from people present around the time indicates that the two sets you mention, and others you have not listed, were brought into the system by Master Luo Guangyu. This is part of the curriculum he innovated and another reason why we differ from the mainland.

In fact, you do not have to look to the drunken sets to find Joy Kuen, (drunken fist), techniques. They are in Hong Kong Tanglang Fist sets as well. For example, movement #18 of Siu Gui Sik/ Xiao jia Shi, (small frame movement), set is described in older texts as pertaining to the drunken techniques. (It is the technique where one punches, leaps forward with a heel kick and lands to execute an elbow striking/ leg sweeping takedown).

Some of HK Tanglang's branches have excluded Drunken Sets from their curriculum. I believe that this was an attempt to bring their Tanglang back into line with Tanglang on the mainland and Taiwan, where they do not have Joy Kuen techniques.

An interesting topic! Great to hear from Germany. By the way, where do you train in Germany and are you a teacher?

Steve Cottrell

MantisifuFW
02-15-2004, 08:26 AM
GermanMantis,

To continue:

The sets are performed with distinct Joy Kuen Shen Fot, (drunken technique body method) when performing drunken movements but move immediately and powerfully into Tanglang Quan when performing Tanglang techniques.

I know the sets you mention. My sihing, Sifu Tony Chiu, knows more than I.

Hope it helps,

Steve Cottrell

MantisifuFW
02-15-2004, 02:02 PM
GermanMantis,

It occured to me later that you might have a look at an easliy obtainable source for what Master Luo taught; that of Lam Wing-Kit's Shandong Kuen Po for Master Chiu Chi Man's Tanglang. In it he lists the Joy Lo Han as one of the sets Master Chiu taught. As such, it would seem that the origin rests with Master Luo.

Hope it helps,

Steve Cottrell