PDA

View Full Version : generating revenue....

blooming lotus
02-15-2004, 02:36 PM
GENECHING...

Just wondering, if funds are becomming an issue, why exactly is the ban on supplements via martial arts smart?...and how about making available some seminar and comp footage...a dollar's a dollar right...it's all supporting not only the forum but getting it all out there? I know I'm not the only one who wants to stay current ;)

just some thoughts :cool:

GeneChing
02-16-2004, 09:55 AM
Funds are always an 'issue' because after all, this is a business, not an act of charity (although worthy of note: we do have a non-profit branch that is strictly charitable, see the Tiger Claw Foundation (http://tigerclaw.com/Foundation/)). Despite my constant complaining (the burden of middle management) you won't see us out on the street corner with a cardboard sign that says "will sell MA gear for food" any time soon. I do appreciate your concern though, very much.

But back to your question, I'm not sure what you mean by a ban on supplements. Like vitamins and stuff? That's just not our market. We do make available some demo videos (http://store.martialartsmart.net/chinartour.html), but no seminars really because it would probably produce an end product that was just too low quality, too home movie, if you get my meaning. With the demo videos that we do carry, there'a a lot to be factored in, contracts with the promoter, shooting crew, editing, etc., you know business stuff, and in the final analysis, demo videos are not the most popular sellers. We are always looking to develop more of them, but we also always need to weigh all of the factors of production, profit vs. investment. Plus nowadays, most tournaments/demos produce their own vids to keep all the profit in-house. Property rights are a big issue with tournaments/demos, as you might imagine.

blooming lotus
02-16-2004, 01:55 PM
ok...you're right Gene, I guess I didn't really consider the "business" components of vid/dvd production ect..if other folks are doing it already though, It would be nice to se a few those in mam catalouges.....speaking of that though, and going out on a limb here, what about one one those moring free-to-air "fitness show" spots...but in kungfu....trade off, gear and exposure with a local school???...someone's gotta know someone...???? I may be getting a little overzealous...but If I was in the area..I'd tune in...and send a copy of the instruction series to all my friends :).....hey mam could even advertise in the break;) LOL...

As for supplements, what I was referring to was the ban on shaolin tea and the like...(although that may have more to do with trademarking than supplement and foodstuff sale perse)...there are alot of us out here who use supplements as a huge part of our daily health...a wholesale contract with good spin-off is not 1/2 hard to find...( I personally know of several that would put $$$ in the pockets of the mag)
Having all our needs at the one stop is priceless. Besides...

wouldn't we all rather get our gear from martial arts mart? :D

GeneChing
02-17-2004, 10:14 AM
There have been several attempts to do morning 'kung fu' shows, although mostly it's tai chi. There's a few going in China. I just heard of one that is going in in Austria. There ahve also been calbe network shows - man, I remember Cynthia Rothrock doing one on womens' self defense - that must have been like 20 years ago. And I hear Billy Blanks is back with Tae Bo 2004. EVery hear of Kanga-roddy? It was a kid's martial arts show a few years back. Anyway, it's been done, it's being done, it'll probably keep being done, but the expense of producing such a show is seldom covered by the sales. To be honest, CMA doesn't have the popularity base to support such a venture at this time. But hopefully, we will. ;)

As for the Shaolin Tea, that legally has the Shaolin trademark and it is in no way banned. www.MartialArtsMart.com just chose not to carry it anymore due to the low profit margin. The cost of the tea isn't too much, nor is shipping, but the cost of food tariff, added with a shelf life (each container is dated for freshness) made it unfeasible as a product at this time. It's still available now (http://store.martialartsmart.net/70600.html), but when it sells out, we won't restock it. Too bad, it was a good product, it jsut didn't move fast enough to be profitable.

norther practitioner
02-17-2004, 11:18 AM
*sip*
Yeah the tea ain't too bad.

GeneChing
02-18-2004, 10:54 AM
...'cause if you want more, you'll have to go all the way to China soon. ;)

norther practitioner
02-18-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by GeneChing
...'cause if you want more, you'll have to go all the way to China soon. ;)
No worries, I'm trying to arrange a trip for this summer.

blooming lotus
02-18-2004, 01:34 PM
make it fall and you can join us for the international shaolin wushu festival.......just as soon as we figure out the correct date ...we'll let you know :D

GeneChing
02-19-2004, 10:33 AM
...at Shaolin over Shaolin tea...

although in truth, if we're in China, there's much better tea to be had...

norther practitioner
02-19-2004, 01:09 PM
I'm trying to make it sometime this Summer/Fall.. We'll see how things pan out.