PDA

View Full Version : recomended texts on tcm.

Arhats fury
05-26-2001, 05:22 AM
i am very interested in traditional chinese medicine and was wondering about some good starting and intermediate text on this subject?

thanks for any info.

Gaining Enlightenment can be likened to breaking through a wall. At first, only a small hole may be created,which one can briefly see a small part of the other side. Ultimately, the whole wall may be destroyed and all will be visible.

woliveri
05-27-2001, 06:04 PM
check out: http://www.redwingbooks.com/

There are plenty of texts there for your reading pleasure. :D

There is no spoon. "The Matrix"
There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. "The Matrix"

Arhats fury
05-28-2001, 03:57 AM
hey,nice site thanks alot yeah this should tie me over for a while.

""Gaining Enlightenment can be likened to breaking through a wall. At first, only a small hole may becreated,which one can briefly see a small part of the other side. Ultimately, the wall may be destroyed and all will be visible.""

bearpaw
06-06-2001, 12:45 PM
I'm currently reading "Fundamentals of Chinese Medicine" that I picked up at my local book store. The book is most execellent. Its a collection of the first year texts used by the top five TCM schools in China. Everything has been symbolicly transtated and there is liberal quotes from the orginial anciet chinese texts and some greek too.

woliveri
06-06-2001, 03:28 PM
bearpaw, who is the author of this text? Is there one listed? Also, I've never seen TCM Texts in a bookstore? Was this a bookstore of an Acupunture college?

thanks

There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. "The Matrix"

bearpaw
06-07-2001, 10:49 AM
the authors are:
Nigel Wiseman
Andrew Ellis

They had to order it from thier wharehouse but it only took two days to get here. 501 pages, paper back good school book sized. No I got it a
Barnes & Noble.

walkthecircle
06-08-2001, 02:23 PM
so many to say...

Again danger is learning from too many sources! Need to find a true body work master and learn for many years.

Same things that happen in kungfu have happened in body work. They'll teach you a protocal of how do give a massage (like modern kung fu schools will teach you a form) but you really won't know how to use it or tailor it to each patient (like the form you can't use in fighting.)

here are a few of my favorite books:

The foundations of chinese medicine by Maciocia (the best one 100 dollars and is the bible in many acc. schools.)

Complete guide to accupressure by Teeguarden

Healing with Whole foods by Pitchford (AWESOME book...any home should not be with out.)

Traditional chinese Acupuncture by Worsley (Good sourcebook for the merdians. 100 bucks)

The web that has no weaver by Kaptchuk

Shiatsu theory and practice by Beresford-Cooke

Retired Taoist
06-14-2001, 07:02 AM
Maybe you could try the Huangdi Neijing, The Yellow's Emperor Canon on Internal Medecine. You can find an English translation on Amazon I guess.

Dim Dam Doum

chiman
06-19-2001, 05:39 PM
I think "The Web That Has No Weaver" is the best intro to Chinese Medical philosophy and practice. It gets somewhat academic without getting monotonous.
Also the "Huang Di Nei Jing" Su Wen is great for anybody interested in Chinese Philosophy. There is a great deal on Medicine and acupuncture but also basic things like Yin and Yang and Tian Di Ren (Heaven, Earth, Man).

My favorite now as a student of TCM is Deadman's "A Manual of Acupuncture". As far as I've seen, it has the most comprehensive decriptions of point functions and history. It is extremely well referenced to the classics and has the best location pictures I've seen.

Any other favorites?

woliveri
06-19-2001, 08:22 PM
"The Web That Has No Weaver" is an excellent book. Dittos