PDA

View Full Version : Muscle recovery/maintenance...

KWUsCRD
02-16-2004, 05:48 AM
I started Mantis Boxing yesterday... (Thanks Sifu Hui)

And my Sifu broke me, it was great. Now its the next day and my body is feelin it, everywhere... I have sore muscles where I didn't know muscles existed.

I apparently started right into a regular day. I will be an ox soon enough with this regular work out, but until then does anyone have any suggestions as to vitamins or amino acids etc. that they have used to help in the recovery/build up/maintenace of their muscles?

All I have right now is weight gainer and multi vitamins, which I usually only drink when I'm sore to supply the muscles with a steady flow of protein etc. on top of eating tuna.

I'm definatly buying a bottle of amino acids, which I used before, because it helped my muscles break down and build up tremendously when I used it before.

I'll be taking a trip to GNC/The Vitamin Store soon, and I was just wondering what I should keep my eye out for. Thanks in advance.

bungda07
02-16-2004, 01:24 PM
KWUsCRD, You don't need to buy expensive vitamins. A good cool down, some stretching and healthy food will do it. Doesn't matter what you take. Time & Energy will soon get you through this. Welcome to the Tang Lang family.

V/r

Steve M.

EarthDragon
02-16-2004, 01:36 PM
In my experience I have found that bannana's work the best! the potassium breaks down the built up lactic acaid faster than anything else. Not just a couple but right after a workout down 5 - 10 and stretch after your trainning as bung da07 said. Save your money for more lessons. mantis is a great style stick with it...

KWUsCRD
02-16-2004, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I have been out of the loop awhile. I haven't really had a good work out in a long while.

I'm not one for supplements etc. most of the time. But I feel as of right now, while my body is going through the most change, it's best to aide it, and after the dramatic changes in the beginning, I can just maintain by eating proper.

Thanks for the welcoming bungda07, I'm glad to be a part of the family. :D

Tainan Mantis
02-16-2004, 04:02 PM
right after training the blood sugar has dropped very low.
If it is not replenished then it must create sugar by breaking down muscle.
So take a a high sugar sorts drink(not carbonated).

Afer that you have a 1 hour window to take a hi protien supplement.
Weight gainer may not be the ticket since they don't always put in the protien.
The same company probably has some sort of whey drink.
After that is in you you can move on to the carbs.

Since you eat Tuna you can take that in place of the weigh.
Tuna packed in water.
Looka t the can and eat about 20 grams worth of protien from that source.

If you are sore you might wake up in the middle of te night hungry.
Protien drinks are best at this time as they are easier to digest than meat and fish.
Vit C is good for soreness. 500 to 1000mg

Danger signs,
wake up at night over hot or sweating.
Your blood sugar must be going way too low.

Weak or tired for kung fu
eat more or rest more

This info comes from Michael Colgan

mantis108
02-16-2004, 05:04 PM
Glad you started with Sifu Profatilov already. You are most welcome. :) I am sure your Mantis workout is going to be quite taxing.

I believe there are some good advice here already. Stretches and/or light cadio (warm down) does help. We like to do 18 Lohan gong as well.

As for food intake, personally I prefer the natural stuff. So having bananas and soft drinks (without the fizz) is great snack right after a workout. I think coca-cola (without the fizz) and bananas is a tasty combo. May not be too healthy but tasty and fulfilling nontheless. BTW, glucose drinks are my favorite. I find they top up my energy level pretty quickly.

I would eat 2 piece of taosts (butter and jam) and a cup of tea (milk and sugar) about half an hour before practice, which is about 2-3 hours long usually for me. I would also have a nutrious meal within 2 hour after practice. I think balanced diet is key.

In case you have bruises, which I think they come naturally with PM training most of the time, get some Dit Da Jow (liquid herbal formula). There are some reliable and reasonable brands available in most Chinatown these days. My student bought me a few bottles (3 dallors Canadian) from Toronto. They work fine.

beware of dehydration and signs of overtrain (too much too quickly). Other than that eat and rest. Have fun.

Warm regards

Mantis108

Tieh
02-16-2004, 07:57 PM
Hey KWUsCRD,

in addition to this advice I can recommend a warm bath and a good nights sleep after an exhausting training.
:)

Best Regards

KWUsCRD
02-16-2004, 08:50 PM
Thanks... theres alotta good advice here.

Sifu Hui, your advice and suggestions are respected as always. Thank you for letting me know what you eat before hand. After I actually experienced the intensity of class, I wasn't sure what or even if I could eat before hand. I will most definatly try the tea and toast before class this weekend.

Tieh, I'm taking hot showers. I should take a bath, and maybe I will tomorrow but I doubt it. I just never liked them much. But the hot water gets the blood flowing and your muscles loose, feels real good.

Michael Colgan, Thank you, all of that information is very helpfull. I am definatly going to apply that knwoledge immediatly and in the future.

Tainan Mantis
02-17-2004, 04:52 PM
KWU,
My name is Kevin.
Michael Colgan is a famous sports physilogist who has pushed many to the gold in the olympics as well as champions of other world class events.

KWUsCRD
02-17-2004, 08:14 PM
haha thank you for that clarification, and thank you for providing me with that information. :D