PDA

View Full Version : Entered a tournament...

SevenStar
02-16-2004, 12:09 PM
but it was a tournament where neither my size nor my strength mattered. I was tooled...completely.

My son is into beyblades, as the kids at his school play alot, so I went out and bought him one. There is a local shop that sells al of the current japanese gaming crazes, and they have tournaments every saturday, so I took him to check it out. I took his beyblade with high hopes of winning...until I got there. There were kids coming in with toolboxes full of beyblades and different parts - heavy bases for more endurance, big attack rings for more power, etc. they were customizing beyblades left and right, creating machines that were winning, based on physics that they probably didn't even fully comprehend. I with my one beyblade was systematically picked apart by these kids. The whole time I'm thinking "that's cool - after this let's put on some gloves and see who wins..."

It was hillarious and embarrasing at the same time. The kids were great though - they taught me about the different attributes different parts had, how to customize, etc. While I was there, I bought a stadium to "train" (as they put it) in and I bought myself....umm... my son 8 more beyblades, so now we have 9 and I know how to mix and match them. We've both been battling all weekend, and I'm going back saturday for some rematches. I met some older people up there that are into anume, so we're supposed to be trading some stuff.

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-16-2004, 12:19 PM
for those of you like myself:

http://www.beyblade.com/

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-16-2004, 12:21 PM
it's really cool that you found something fun to do with your kid man. i've found it's a little harder with a girl. she always wants me to play barbie and i want her to start drinking and neither one of us will budge.

SevenStar
02-16-2004, 12:28 PM
I dunno man - they have male barbies, and if ken isn't cool enough, then you can also buy bratz boys...

Kymus
02-16-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
that's cool - after this let's put on some gloves and see who wins..

lol 7*, you're bad! That's cool though. When I first saw the Anime, I was wondering how they would make a toy version. I am glad for the kids sake that they have it so involved and technical.

SevenStar
02-16-2004, 02:13 PM
yeah, they've got it down to a fine art. In the time it took me to put the stickers on, they had completely assembled a beyblade. I'm gonna be ready for the little snots this weekend though. I've been playing with wrist movements and figued out how to make them spin certain ways when I launch them. I've got two blades that have a spring in the bottom, and I figured out how to make them jump the way I want them to, hopefully colliding into their tops and knocking them over. Unfortunately, the ones with springs have bad defense on the bottom...

Kymus
02-16-2004, 02:17 PM
yeah, they've got it down to a fine art. In the time it took me to put the stickers on, they had completely assembled a beyblade. I'm gonna be ready for the little snots this weekend though. I've been playing with wrist movements and figued out how to make them spin certain ways when I launch them. I've got two blades that have a spring in the bottom, and I figured out how to make them jump the way I want them to, hopefully colliding into their tops and knocking them over. Unfortunately, the ones with springs have bad defense on the bottom...

lmao 7*, you're sounding like one of the guys on the anime series! don't get me wrong, it's really cool how technical they got it, but still... Lemme know when your bit beast comes out :P :D

Shaolinlueb
02-16-2004, 02:29 PM
thats awesoime you and your son found a common liking and are bonding man. kick the kids asses next weekend. :cool:

SevenStar
02-16-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Kymus

lmao 7*, you're sounding like one of the guys on the anime series! don't get me wrong, it's really cool how technical they got it, but still... Lemme know when your bit beast comes out :P :D

already have! they made a transorming beyblade that will turn into the bit beast. It would be cool if it happened while the top was spinning...

SevenStar
02-16-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
thats awesoime you and your son found a common liking and are bonding man. kick the kids asses next weekend. :cool:

I intend on it. And just in case I lose, I'm taking a few pairs of boxing gloves...

KWUsCRD
02-16-2004, 02:57 PM
haha this thread is great. Good luck man.

Oso
02-16-2004, 04:44 PM
...and I got made fun of for playing MtG...

sounds cool...almost makes me want to have kids...almost.

...and who says there's a generation gap ! :)

Kymus
02-16-2004, 06:32 PM

already have! they made a transorming beyblade that will turn into the bit beast. It would be cool if it happened while the top was spinning...

that's pretty cool! And yeah, that would be neat if it came out while it was spinning. I wonder how many little kids lie to eachother and claim their bit beast came out lol

Shaolinlueb
02-16-2004, 08:22 PM

I intend on it. And just in case I lose, I'm taking a few pairs of boxing gloves...

punch him when moms not looking :D

SevenStar
02-16-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb

punch him when moms not looking :D

Definitely. There was on particular brat who told me he would beat me, told me the beyblade he'd use to do it, then told me why. He's first on my list.

Bluesman
02-16-2004, 11:24 PM
I have two boys so all I can say is " Let it Rip!!"
Do you know how many times I heard that? One has an electric. It must use some sort of a cap becuse it needs to charge. They look too light weight. Even though they are radio controlled I doubt that they would do well against a morph.
No tournaments here but Yu-Gi-Oh.

dodger87
02-17-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Oso
...and I got made fun of for playing MtG...

sounds cool...almost makes me want to have kids...almost.

...and who says there's a generation gap ! :)

ahahahah you played magic the gathering? the only people at my school who play that are guys who wear thick glasses and wear their pants up to their bellies.

norther practitioner
02-17-2004, 09:03 AM

Definitely. There was on particular brat who told me he would beat me, told me the beyblade he'd use to do it, then told me why. He's first on my list.

He walked in the ring with you, told you he'd double leg you, take the mount and then submit you by arm bar...

fight starts, he doubled you, mounted you, hit you in the face once to throw you off, then subbed you....

SevenStar
02-17-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Bluesman
I have two boys so all I can say is " Let it Rip!!"
Do you know how many times I heard that? One has an electric. It must use some sort of a cap becuse it needs to charge. They look too light weight. Even though they are radio controlled I doubt that they would do well against a morph.
No tournaments here but Yu-Gi-Oh.

I wish I woulda known that before... I just ordered an electric off of ebay. I did luck out though - I got 32 tops for 20.00! since you have two boys, you know what a steal that is.

SevenStar
02-17-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by dodger87

ahahahah you played magic the gathering? the only people at my school who play that are guys who wear thick glasses and wear their pants up to their bellies.

When I was in college, that was the only game people played. I never got into it though - I was too busy playing virtua fighter2.

FatherDog
02-17-2004, 11:17 PM
I played Magic in tournaments at college; came in 12th at States at one point. Got out of it when it started turning into too much of a money sink, though. It was getting to the point where you had to spend hundreds of dollars every couple months to stay competitive.

SevenStar
02-18-2004, 10:36 PM
Yeah, those cards can get pricey. And you gotta watch out, because people are counterfeiting them. Not sure about magic cards, but I know there are people counterfeiting yugi-oh! cards.

Oso
02-19-2004, 05:00 AM
I played a little back at thanksgiving with the girls nephews.
there is a new little twist with that's kinda cool.
you can bring 'equipment' in to play on the 'battleground' as a permanent.
then pay to have it 'equipped' on a creature.
unlike enchantments that go to the graveyard when the creature dies, the equipment will fall to the ground and you can pay to re-equip it on another creature.

;)

FD, nice job getting 12th in state. I would go down to play at the game shop every once in a while but having little snots walk in with 5000 cards to draw from got a little old.

I still have my sig deck: Flying Invisible Bears with Mutation and Giant Growth cast on them once they were Flying and Invisible.