PDA

View Full Version : self accupunture dangerous?

Ma_Xu_Zha
04-16-2001, 06:38 PM
I am a long time patient of my chinese doctor and have been interested in the chinese culture for over 10 years and even tried to get into several schools of accupunture but cant afford it right now. sometimes i apply accupunture to the areas my doctor uses on occasion to save some time and money. I apply to yi tang in forehead, zusanli on leg, hegu on hand,GB 20 at base of skull and dan tien below navel. Places where my doctor has applied before. Result I feel better, save money and time and taiji improves. I ususally do this no more than twice a month if even that.

what are the uses of yintang? I havent figured why she uses that spot, i remember her saying you think to much when she put it there once.

joedoe
04-17-2001, 01:50 AM
Like most things, it is dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. Often accupuncturists progress through different points during the treatment course to fix things in progression. You should check with your accupuncturist before doing it yourself to make sure it isn't doing you any harm.

Guns don't kill people, I kill people

JE
04-17-2001, 01:57 AM
Ma Xu Zha...

Yin Tang (Hall of Impression) is generally used calm the mind. It is also considered the location of the third eye or upper dan tian. It is a rather major point. It can also be used for sinus problems.

The physical danger aspect of self-needling is dependent on two simple factors: the points and how deep you're needling them. In terms of energetics then it depends on your general constitution although I will say acupuncture is generally relatively forgiving, especially the points you are choosing to needle.

Feng Chi, GB 20, is not really a very safe point to needle on yourself if you are needling with any depth. If your angle is off you can hit the vertebral basilar artery (big nasty and painful hematoma) or go into the brain stem (ever pith a frog in high school).

On a separate level there is the whole aspect of self diagnosis to consider. As a student and practitioner of TCM I must say this isn't such a good thing to try.

Finally there is the whole aspect of recieving that is important to treatment. I'm sure you will have noticed that you feel different when you can go and receive a treatment than when you have to think about how to give one to yourself.

My recommendation is to find other ways to treat yourself (practice some more qi gong, calm the mind with some seated meditation or a simple walk, etc.) let your acupuncturist do the needling. Saving money and time isn't always the best thing for us...

cheers,

Justin

Ma_Xu_Zha
04-17-2001, 05:22 AM
Its basic parameters began with

hegu- is to clear bad energy

gb20- is to relax

zuasanli- is to circulate qi

quichi- is for blood circulating

in more modern terms and explaination why would a traditionalist use this pattern on all patients before any specified points for the patient?

rubber legs
04-18-2001, 02:00 AM
If you are not carefull the points around the lungs could be fatal if a lung is punctured.

Ma_Xu_Zha
04-18-2001, 02:49 PM
Nobody here is sticking anything around the lungs. Mostly limbs and where muscels are. I use it viewed as support for sports related training and help injuries. I seek higher advice any good accupunturist websites?