PDA

View Full Version : OT: stunt fighting questions

Gangsterfist
02-17-2004, 09:56 AM
This really does not have to do with kung fu, but a friend of mine has done some film work in the past and released a few (self budgetted) movies that have a bunch of comedy skits on them.

Now I am looking to do some kung fu cinema this summer with him. I have never tried making a fight scene or anything like that. I want to perhaps have a stick fight in this short film as well. Now movie kung fu, and real life kung fu are completely different. I am going to start practicing pulling punches and hits this spring with my friends who are gonna help me.

Has anyone ever tried anything like this? This will be my first time trying to choreograph a fight on film. I am just looking for a few pointers, and advice from someone who has perhaps done this before. Obviously I want to make it more flashy than realistic so its entertaining.

The plot is simple since its a short, its going to be a justice vs criminal type plot.

If anyone can give me a few pointers or tips it would be appreciated, and I am just doing this for fun.

MasterKiller
02-17-2004, 10:07 AM
www.kwoon.com

They have some tutorials, I think. If not, check the forum. Todd will answer your questions.

norther practitioner
02-17-2004, 10:15 AM
There was a good show on this stuff on discovery or something.

Gangsterfist
02-17-2004, 10:18 AM
Thanks MK.

No_Know
02-17-2004, 02:24 PM
Practice seeming to get knocked off your feet or at least stumbling.. Practice falling into a wall. Practice ouey faces--lipsync of pain. Study perception, angles that look like there is contact when there is not.

Get hit with the side of your back closest to the camera hiding some of your getting hit.

Backfist walls and cupboards also punch said. But withdraw before contacting. Slight momentum can carry you into contact but you are already pulling the weight for just a touch.

Some to start and actually mostly that.