PDA

View Full Version : Too Old For Cma?

SunBeam
02-18-2004, 05:38 PM
TOO OLD FOR CMA

:eek:

After getting married and having kids, my interest picked
up again for the “Arts”. My daughter took a few years of karate in primary school and I thought that maybe I could find the time to finally start on my quest into CMA. I research for a year about the different styles and then compared it to what was offered in
my area with distance and price in mind. Then 9/11 and Enron (yes I worked there) happened. Not a real good time for starting out. Got some free time now and a little extra money so I resently started looking again.

Anyway, here it goes.

I happened to be looking in the phone book for schools (again). It is hard to find one near by that is something that you are interested in and has a guy who you think knows his stuff. I call this “HEADQUATERS” of a CMA style that is only ten minutes from where I work. Dude answers the phone with like “Yeah…hello”. I tell him that I was interested in the classes and would like to get more info. The dude says, “Ah, how old are you?” I told him thirty-four. He then asked if I had any Martial Arts (Kung Fu) experience. I told him no. He then said, “ You are too old, okay”. He mumbled something else and I said, "...okay?" and he said goodbye with phone hanging up. Now, maybe he is right. Maybe I need to check some MMA or straightforward Self Defense places. Where is my walking cane?

Just a Guy
02-18-2004, 05:41 PM
You aren't too old, SunBeam! Surely not if 90 year old guys can do this stuff!

I know plenty of people who began in their early thirties - you just need to find a good sifu. Sorry your first investigation was such a downer.

md1
02-18-2004, 05:55 PM
hey sunbeam.. no way your to old!! i have 2 students 53 years old they have benn working out for 1 year now and 1 who's 44 just started 5 months ago. i say go for it, just not at that school. it's never to late! good luck.

SunBeam
02-18-2004, 05:56 PM
Thanks Justa,

I guess I was taken a little off guard since this is the Famous HeadQuarters of a Big to-do style with a good size ad in the phone book. Should have a mention in the ad if it is that important. I even went to the website an there is no mention there. I tell ya, some people.

Fu-Pow
02-18-2004, 05:58 PM
That's one of the funniest things I've ever heard. The guy sounds like a total moron...in other words...you wouldn't want to go to that school anyways.

While it is true that some styles suit younger players than older players it doesn't exclude you from learning the style. But at 34 years old...cmon man...we have dudes who are 50+ learning Choy Lay Fut.

Besides CMA runs the gamut from the more external acrobatic styles to the more meditative internal styles.

You're bound to find something that works for you.

Good luck.

BTW, just so other people can avoid this school what's the name and address.

freehand
02-18-2004, 10:48 PM
SunBeam, in 6 years you're going to be forty... whether you study or not. Are you going to be wondering what you would know if you had started, or will you be a six year student? My first teacher said "Even a slow learner will learn a lot in five years."

I started a little earlier than you - 27. I'm 53 now and going strong. Nothing magical about it physiologically - as far as the body goes, it's just good, all-around exercise. But while I'm taking a little longer now to recover after a workout or injury, I feel pretty much the same on the mat as I did 25 years ago. Only now I know more.

You start now, and when you're my age you will have been studying for 19 years.

You might want to check out the studio anyway - even the best of teachers might end up with a jerk answering the phone, but it *is a bad sign.

Fu-Pau
02-18-2004, 11:06 PM
SunBeam... as a general rule of thumb, don't go to the school with the biggest add in the phone book/yellow pages... look for an unassuming school.

SunBeam
02-19-2004, 06:54 AM
I would like to thank everyone who replied. I plan to get into a school at the begining of March and have narrowed down my choices to two schools that seem to be okay. I supposed that this post is a result of me being SHOCKED that a school (the headquarters location!) would go to the trouble and expense of promoting itself and pushing all the HIGH values and special nature of its style and then have such an unprofessional age restrictive reality. I guess I expected it from a little hole-in-the-wall place but maybe it is the other way around as suggested.

yu shan
02-19-2004, 10:00 AM
SunBeam... if your 34, this is an excellant time in your life to pursue this interest again. Let us know what you wind up doing, I`m curious. Good luck.

MAC
02-19-2004, 10:20 AM
"The best day to plant a tree was twenty years ago. The second best day is today!"

Jook Lum
02-19-2004, 09:03 PM
Sometimes you have to walk through a lot of crap to
get to the grass!

Keep looking and dont be discouraged by that school and
you are never to old to start CMA.

rfbrown3
02-20-2004, 05:48 AM
Oh, to be 34 again!:)

Shaolinlueb
02-20-2004, 09:39 AM
that teacher isnt smart at all. dont ever call him up again.
you're not too old at all.

we have students in their 40's that have never taken CMA at all. you flexibility wont be as easy to get and such but you can still definetly do it. go for it.

rubthebuddha
02-20-2004, 12:43 PM
everyone else in this thread is right, particularly fu-pow -- the dude IS a moron. 34 is a great age to start. you may not be able to get in as many years of training as you would have if you started at 24, but that doesn't change the fact that it can improve your life.

also, as fu-pow said, ignore the big, flashy ads for schools. the flashier the school, typically the flashier the style. i doubt you're concerned about breaking boards held nine feet in the air, so go with something simple and to the point, and then work your butt off at it. :)

travelsbyknight
02-21-2004, 11:55 AM
Sunbeam,
sometimes these sifus are tricky. They tell you stupid sh!t to see if you will come back or not... and if you don't it's your loss, from their point of view anyway. Call the a$$ muncher back and be a little more aggressive this time.

Fu-Pau,

I don't think your general rule has any grit to it. I once visited a school that had the biggest ad in the yellow pages...and it was pretty darn good. A big yellow pages add is to bring in more revenues and doesn't necessarily reflect on the quality of the school/sifu.