PDA

View Full Version : Joseph Cheng

[~T~]G
02-19-2004, 05:43 AM
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of any further information on Joseph Cheng (Lee Shing branch), such as interviews or video clips of him? I've already got his book (108 Wooden Dummy) but would like further info on him - I have heard he was good at sparring with some notable Karatekas.

Cheers

yuanfen
02-19-2004, 06:09 AM
On Joseph Cheng- he has another book out too.
I believe that he died in China under mysterious circumstances.
A friend of mine studied with him in the UK. Cheng was a tough
and colorful guy. As you note -he learned fromLee Shing.
Cheng went on to do "security" work in several places including Saudi royalty.
Lee Shing combined non Ip and Ip wing chun and it shows.
Cheng had a bit of a side body bai jong stancing.

Jim Roselando
02-19-2004, 08:35 AM
Hello,

Lee Shing was a student of Fung Sang (Koo Lo) and Yip Man/Yip students. His art is mainly YMWC with some PSWC influence. He uses the YM engine even with his Koo Lo WC but Joy is correct saying that there are some Side Body evidence cleary in their art. In his teaching, one would learn YMWC and then PSWC.

Joseph Cheng? I can find out from my UK friends. I have heard that he died but I also heard that was just a rumor. I never really looked into it but can find out as Joseph Lee (another LS pupil) was good friends with him and I speak with him him once in a while.

I heard Joseph Cheng was (or is) tough.

Regards,

[~T~]G
02-19-2004, 09:15 AM
Thanks to those who have replied

Yuanfen - do you know the title of this other book?

Jim - I'm actually a student of Joseph Lee but I'm wondering if there is any more info on him, that I can get in the public domain. Theres not much floating about, but surely he must have done a few interviews in his time? Also, with regards specifically to Gulao/Pien San WC, is there any (notable) exponent of Leung Jan's style who has just been taught the San soo points (36 in total?) and not the traditional forms?

Cheers

Jim Roselando
02-19-2004, 01:28 PM
Hello,

Jim - I'm actually a student of Joseph Lee but I'm wondering if there is any more info on him, that I can get in the public domain. Theres not much floating about, but surely he must have done a few interviews in his time?

To be honest I am really not sure??? I have never done much looking into or reading about Joseph Cheng but your sifu surely would have any info available on J.C.. Last time I spoke with him I kind of remember J.L. mentioning J.C.'s school having some kind of party but that is not 100% so please dont jump to any conclusions regarding him. Sorry I cant help you out with that info..

Also, with regards specifically to Gulao/Pien San WC, is there any (notable) exponent of Leung Jan's style who has just been taught the San soo points (36 in total?) and not the traditional forms?

I am not sure what you mean? Koo Lo WC does not train the SLT/CK/BJ and most Koo Lo people do not practice those forms. Lee Shing guys do both as LS learned from Fung Sang first and then also YM style. My sifu and many others only preserve the traditional art/San Sik of LJ teaching. In the UK (or shall I say; Wales) I have a very good/dedicated Pin Sun WC practitioner/friend who has 2 students. As far as I know, other than the LS preservation of PSWC, he is the only one practicing Koo Lo Pin Sun proper. He will be coming back to Boston to train in a month or so.

If you want me to ask if he is interested in teaching you I can. I am not sure if he is interested but it would not hurt to ask.

Just let me know?

See ya,

Jim Roselando
02-20-2004, 09:45 AM
Hello,

I spoke with my friend in the UK and he also thinks Joseph Cheng is alive.

Gotta run,

russellsherry
02-22-2004, 02:30 PM
hi guys in i put up a post about this a year ago about joesh being alive we heard this from a visting arnis guro from england ,peace russellsherry

[~T~]G
02-26-2004, 08:47 AM
Jim - may I ask who you spoke to?

russellsherry - do you know which arnis guy said this?

Cheers

Originally posted by Jim Roselando
Hello,

I spoke with my friend in the UK and he also thinks Joseph Cheng is alive.

Gotta run,

Jim Roselando
02-26-2004, 09:20 AM
Hello,

Jim - may I ask who you spoke to?

My UK Pin Sun friend who was a former Lee Shing WC practitioner but is still friends with many LSWC people!

Also, (like I said in an earlier post) last time I spoke with Joseph he told me he was was going to Joseph Cheng's kwoon for some event. I am sure Joseph can help you find him!

Wish I could help more.

See ya,

russellsherry
02-26-2004, 04:21 PM
hi tlj it was krisna goodina i tknow i spllet his name wrong i have not got my copy of ma magazine with me peace russellsherry

yuanfen
02-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Jim R- the same Joseph Cheng? One of Lee Sings early students?
Has a school? Where? Why the quietness or secretiveness?
He was fairly extroverted in his earlier days?

Jim Roselando
02-27-2004, 08:12 AM
Hey Joy!

Yes! The same Joseph Cheng!

Why the secrecy? I have no clue. His school should be in the London area. I never asked much about him! Sorry!

See ya,

foolinthedeck
02-29-2004, 12:24 PM
In the UK (or shall I say; Wales) I have a very good/dedicated Pin Sun WC practitioner/friend who has 2 students. As far as I know, other than the LS preservation of PSWC, he is the only one practicing Koo Lo Pin Sun proper. He will be coming back to Boston to train in a month or so.

jim, who's this and where is he based in wales? just out of interest, no politics, just like to know who is doing what here in wales.

fool in the

Jim Roselando
03-02-2004, 06:29 AM
Hello,

He is in Gwent and has 2-3 pupils. His name is Robert Stevens.

See ya,