PDA

View Full Version : Judo is cool....

Suntzu
02-19-2004, 09:25 AM
... and really really hurts............ really... enjoy...

http://judoinfo.com/video/JUDO_HIGHLIGHT.WMV

SevenStar
02-19-2004, 09:42 AM
stupid pc... I don't have the right decompressor... what's this a clip of?

Shaolinlueb
02-19-2004, 09:47 AM
blah all i saw was a bunch of people feeling each other up and falling ont eh ground.

norther practitioner
02-19-2004, 09:47 AM
There are some mighty fine throws in there...

I like the one where he flips the guy over him.. and gives an extra little push with his leg whilst the dudes still above him in mid air.

Suntzu
02-19-2004, 09:48 AM
what's this a clip of? and...
a bunch of people feeling each other up and falling ont eh ground. .... yep.... judo......

Ford Prefect
02-19-2004, 09:49 AM
Nice. I'd hate to see some of those throws on pavement.

Suntzu
02-19-2004, 09:50 AM
the close up of the one guys foot work was cool....... i had a lightbulb moment.....

SevenStar
02-19-2004, 10:13 AM
is it a clip of a recent tournament or something? I can't see it... you guys are killing me... :(

Chang Style Novice
02-19-2004, 10:15 AM
what's this a clip of?
a bunch of people feeling each other up and falling ont eh ground.Or put another way, about 50 beauteous throws from various international competitions set to a metal headbanger song.

scotty1
02-19-2004, 10:26 AM
Wow what an amazing selection of clips. Certainly some of the best I've ever seen on KFO!!

Have you seen them yet 7*?:D

rubthebuddha
02-19-2004, 10:30 AM
shaddap scotty -- my wmp won't take it, either. :mad:

:(

scotty1
02-19-2004, 10:34 AM
I'm at work so I can't see it either. :)

Does sound good though.

Chang Style Novice
02-19-2004, 11:03 AM
I watched again and counted - it's only 18 throws, but they are just as beauteous as I thought. Also, it appears that most of them where from a Eurosport broadcast of a world championship in Osaka, although there were a few that seemed to be from elsewhere.

Repulsive Monkey
02-19-2004, 11:42 AM
Haven't seen it yet, but the flip sounds like Tomei Nage.

red5angel
02-19-2004, 11:45 AM
serious question - why don't judoka learn to use the momentum when they are being flipped, to land on their feet? It can't happen all the time obvisouly but there are a few throws where it looks like if the guys sort of threw himself into the toss he migt make it all the way around to land on his feet for a possible reversal of some kind.

Of course never having done judo I may be talking out of my a$$ here....a litle trick I learned from NP's mom. How's she doing anyway NP? Still rolling drunk Army guys in the Springs ;)

MasterKiller
02-19-2004, 11:50 AM
The firemans's carry at the end looked like it could be dangerous for the thrower....are you supposed to land upside down like that?

IronFist
02-19-2004, 12:31 PM
The throw at 2:18 is nasty! The guy lands on his head! The throw would have been fine, but the thrower (blue gi) decided to jump in the air to get more downward momentum. Ouch!

And the one at 0:40 looks cool, too.

norther practitioner
02-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Of course never having done judo I may be talking out of my a$$ here....a litle trick I learned from NP's mom. How's she doing anyway NP? Still rolling drunk Army guys in the Springs

1. She lives in NY
2. Did you learn flipping or talking out your a$$ from my mom?
3. If you learned flipping, I wouldn't really try that "In the real world."
4. You ever talk about my mother again I'll hunt you down and make you shovel $hit with the nubs of fingers you'll have left after I chop them off.

Other than that, have a nice day...:D

Merryprankster
02-19-2004, 12:52 PM
You can "turn out" of a throw, but the whole idea in Judo is to put their back on the mat. Their whole momentum, posture and gripping is built with that in mind. It's hard to turn out of stuff.

red5angel
02-19-2004, 12:55 PM
MP - is that in reference to my question?

NP - You cut off my fingers and your mom won't have anything to sit and spin on so you had better be careful. ;)

Merryprankster
02-19-2004, 12:57 PM
R5,

Yup. I only saw one throw that might have had a chance at a turnout. The others were way to fast and well done.

I guess that's why they're on the highlight clip... :D

red5angel
02-19-2004, 01:00 PM
so a "turnout" is when you basically flip over and land on your feet? Just trying to make sure I am getting this right.

Just to be clear, let's say a guy goes to flip you, and you fake a fall out of the ring....wooops!!! where'd that come from! Sorry...

Anyway the guy is flipping you and you are on his back he is bent over. Alot of those guys seem to be too busy fighting the throw then just going with it, almost forcing it and uising that momentum to carry them over on their feet.

I don't know if I am explaining this well or not. Let me see if I can find a clip....

red5angel
02-19-2004, 01:02 PM
the second throw on the clip and the throw at 00:41.

ShaolinTiger00
02-19-2004, 01:04 PM
Judo is great. incredibly difficult to do well and extremely humbling to every man.

why don't judoka learn to use the momentum when they are being flipped, to land on their feet?

this just isn't the way it works bro. I understand you know nothing about it, so I'm not trying to be a smart ass. Most throws put you on your flat of your shoulders. the opposite end of your body than your feet.

Merryprankster
02-19-2004, 01:07 PM
Turnout is when anytime you manage to turn so you don't go back to mat--might even stay on your feet.

Anyway the guy is flipping you and you are on his back he is bent over. Alot of those guys seem to be too busy fighting the throw then just going with it, almost forcing it and uising that momentum to carry them over on their feet.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I want you to watch their grips and their upper body--of the thrower, not the throwee--every single one of those throws are done with the intent of plowing your shoulderblades straight into the mat. All the throwers weight and effort is devoted to that.

Check it out--once they get over the hips (or whatever fulcrum they are using), most of those throws go shoulderblades straight into the mat, not around in a usable circle.

In the event that the throw is a "roll through" type of ippon, you'll notice that the bodies are kept tight--precisely to keep the shoulder blades turned down and on the mat. That eliminates space that could be used to turn out in any way at all.

I'm not saying that flip outs don't happen, because they occasionally do. But these guys aren't just interested in throwing you--they have a very specific goal in mind--back flat on the mat--and they piledrive you in order to make it happen.

ShaolinTiger00
02-19-2004, 01:11 PM
speaking of piledriving..

you should have seen Taz, Phil and I doing Randori Sat morning.

Taz hasn't been around in awhile and wasn't aware that i have fixed my uchimata "problem". he came in with a vengence and he found nothing and I countered.

BOOM!!!!!!

then he tried it again.

Boom!

:)

goodtimes. Paybacks are hell..

ps. Phil's coming this sat. so should you, ya big injured sissy.. ;) (j/k)

Merryprankster
02-19-2004, 01:14 PM
I AM coming. I can only roll from my guard.

Phil and I will spar for you guys entertainment. We can show you how it's done....

What was your uchimata problem?

SevenStar
02-19-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by red5angel
so a "turnout" is when you basically flip over and land on your feet? Just trying to make sure I am getting this right.

no. it's landing on your stomach. the goal is to throw them on their back. if you land on your stomach, no points are awarded. You will go to groundwork until you are stood back up.

throws tend to happen pretty quick - that wouldn't work to well...plus, depending on the throw, you'd have to have hella flexibility and double jointedness to pull that off.

ShaolinTiger00
02-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Sweet! You know we love love you bjj guys coming! all the judo guys always ask me when my jiu-jitsu buddies are coming! this weekend? this weekend?

What was your uchimata problem?

You know that problem where people used to throw me with uchimata alot, but can't anymore. :)

ShaolinTiger00
02-19-2004, 01:21 PM
throws tend to happen pretty quick

yep. I'd say 3/4 of my ippon scores have happened within the first 3-5 seconds of a match.

norther practitioner
02-19-2004, 01:23 PM
NP - You cut off my fingers and your mom won't have anything to sit and spin on so you had better be careful.

Unless you want all thats unholy to be unleashed on you now, I'd quit.

Merryprankster
02-19-2004, 01:27 PM
You know that problem where people used to throw me with uchimata alot, but can't anymore.

I wouldn't know. I usually just toss your ass with whatever else is in my arsenal, once I have you on one leg you big lug...

Never mind that once I'm healed, you're going to have a hell of a time with me. I've got a five throw combo I can actually pull off.

Ko Soto to Ko Uchi to O uchi to Uchi to Tai Otoshi

Eat that Judo freak!!!!!!

ShaolinTiger00
02-19-2004, 01:47 PM
I'm healed, you're going to have a hell of a time with me

I'm only getting better buddy.. and so is my conditioning.. :)

nice combo.. can't wait till your healed.

Water Dragon
02-19-2004, 01:49 PM
get a room you two

Merryprankster
02-19-2004, 01:50 PM
As it is, I don't recall you ever having an Uchi Mata problem...

You always fell over just fine for mine...

ShaolinTiger00
02-19-2004, 01:50 PM
ok, but it will ahve to be a nice room. with a raised floor and good judo mats. and we'll need a water fountain....

ShaolinTiger00
02-19-2004, 01:52 PM
You always fell over just fine for mine...

you *******.. don't make me bring up the ura nage.. I'll kiai if I have to!

Merryprankster
02-19-2004, 01:53 PM
That ura nage was just your momentary tard strength style revenge for my double leg....

ShaolinTiger00
02-19-2004, 01:54 PM
which was probably revenge for a tani otoshi..

:p

ShaolinTiger00
02-19-2004, 01:55 PM
this thread kinda looks like our randori's huh?

Water Dragon
02-19-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
ok, but it will ahve to be a nice room. with a raised floor and good judo mats. and we'll need a water fountain....

And don't forget to dress Ap up like the Gimp and chain him to the corner

Suntzu
02-19-2004, 01:56 PM
SPEAK ENGLISH......

ShaolinTiger00
02-19-2004, 01:58 PM
I can't get Ap to join us! He grumbles something about grad shcool and that's it. He shows up for 15 minutes at the parties and I never see the guy!

ShaolinTiger00
02-19-2004, 01:59 PM
SPEAK ENGLISH......

lol!

only a judoka can really appreciate the deepness of that comment!

Merryprankster
02-19-2004, 02:02 PM
which was probably revenge for a tani otoshi..

***** please. I usually just step out of your Tani Otoshi...

Have occasionally fallen victim to your Yama Arashi and Tai Otoshi though...

apoweyn
02-19-2004, 02:05 PM
I can't get Ap to join us! He grumbles something about grad shcool and that's it. He shows up for 15 minutes at the parties and I never see the guy!

I heard he died. Tragically. In the Philippines.

Who are we talking about?

Ralphie
02-19-2004, 02:05 PM
is this a dialogue from that website "Gay Judo"?

ShaolinTiger00
02-19-2004, 02:14 PM
Have occasionally fallen victim to your Yama Arashi and Tai Otoshi though...

and that sweep double lapel O-soto.

but who's counting? :D

I love this guy..

you've gotten me several times with your uchimata. hop hop. fall!

Water Dragon
02-19-2004, 02:17 PM

and that sweep double lapel O-soto.

That's my foavorite jacketed throw. You generally reap out one or both legs on him.

*takes notes for May*

ShaolinTiger00
02-19-2004, 02:25 PM
WD, in truth that one was just a case of luck. I think MP & I had tried to attack at the same time and his grip had come off. I just grabbed the other lapel and went foward thru.

every dog gets his day. good dogs get two.

ShaolinTiger00
02-19-2004, 02:29 PM
it's a funny world. MP isn't a full time judoka, but has good conditioning and great grip fighting so he gives me a run for the money every time. one of my favorite randori partners.

and of course on the ground he (& Phil/purple, David/brown and Nak/black belts in bjj) just kicks my butt, but I accept that as karma for me always beating all the judoka at the club.

Water Dragon
02-19-2004, 02:34 PM

every dog gets his day. good dogs get two.

Yup, Crippled Avenger got both of his last night. First he catches me with a double leg block (I don't know the Japanese term for this. He basically turns his back and uses his leg to block out both my legs and throw me over hi hip)

Then he counters me hard enough with a Diagonal Cut to bounce me on the mat.

red5angel
02-19-2004, 02:41 PM
hmmmm, ok, I guess what you guys say makes sense. As I don't have a frame of reference its hard for me to really understand it so I will take your word for it. Besides, if it were possible I guess we probably would have seen it!

ShaolinTiger00
02-19-2004, 02:48 PM
He basically turns his back and uses his leg to block out both my legs and throw me over hi hip)

harai goshi, tai otoshi or koshi guruma. although there are distinct differences in all 3. ex. tai uses the legs to block but doesn't use the hip. harai uses the hip but the foot reaps thru. koshi uses the hip with a head and shoulder grip.

Water Dragon
02-19-2004, 03:04 PM
OK had to visit http://www.judoinfo.com/gokyo.htm for a minute.

He hit me with Tai Otoshi.

Harai Goshi is just a hip throw to me. The kick out is a 'Ho Ti' and can be applied as a variation to a lot of throws. I would call this Waist Control Lift with a Ho Ti.

Koshi Guruma is a Neck Surround. I would define this as more of a grip than throw. We tend to use the Koshi Guruma upper body control with the lower body work of Tai Otoshi or Harai Goshi.

Tai Otshi leg blocking is a break whereas the Harai Goshi is of course a ho ti.

Seven can go ahead and add that to his throwing terminology thread if he wants to. :D

ShaolinTiger00
02-19-2004, 03:14 PM
it sounded like tai otoshi, but since you mentioned hip it wasn't exactly the same. (tai otoshi is a te waza you're arms pull them across your legs. and a little "pop" at the end just finishes the kuzushi)

Water Dragon
02-19-2004, 03:35 PM
HE caught me deep with it. That's why I said hip. His thigh, just below the glute was blocking my near leg and his upper calf was blocking my far leg. Unless that makes it a different throw in Judo.

(Does that make for an easy pic?)

SevenStar
02-19-2004, 04:00 PM

lol!

only a judoka can really appreciate the deepness of that comment!

:D

Merryprankster
02-19-2004, 04:17 PM
HE caught me deep with it. That's why I said hip. His thigh, just below the glute was blocking my near leg and his upper calf was blocking my far leg. Unless that makes it a different throw in Judo.

WD, I think at that point, it comes down to what he was going for. :D

ST00 has gotten much better. I don't recall having an easy time of it last time we randori'd. I say this as a training partner, not as "student to teacher," because I can't teach him a **** thing--he's always been technically better than me.

However, as far as karmic balance goes, I hit him with a no gi, no hands advancing footsweep that sent him toppling to the ground. (as he moved his right leg forward, I swept it completely to the side, when he went to put his weight on it, it wasn't there and he fell--realize this all took less than a second...my boy ain't THAT slow...)

He has yet to match this. Until he does, he's my *****! *blows kisses*

I tell you what though, that Ura Nage he's talking about almost DID match it. It was nearly a straight up Suplesse out of wrestling. I got so much airtime on that I thought NORAD would report me...

SevenStar
02-19-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Water Dragon

(Does that make for an easy pic?)

sounds like a tai to me.

ShaolinTiger00
02-19-2004, 07:12 PM
that's right MP. you NAILED that sweep. It was perfect.and I've never forgotten it. because I took an "opponent" whom I didn't know for advantage and got spanked for it.

someday we'll do some san shou and the cosmic ***** balance will be restored because inc. groundwork you've whupped me good in grappling..

:)

btw: love seeing Kimura's face in that file. He's the coolest..

FatherDog
02-19-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Merryprankster

I tell you what though, that Ura Nage he's talking about almost DID match it. It was nearly a straight up Suplesse out of wrestling. I got so much airtime on that I thought NORAD would report me...

Countering a Koshi Guruma with a high Ura Nage is one of the best feelings in the world. :D

ShaolinTiger00
02-19-2004, 11:24 PM
btw it was my left foot MP.

I'm Rick James *****!

Pork Chop
02-20-2004, 11:21 AM
.....meanwhile.....

kuzushi....fit
kuzushi....fit
kuzushi....fit....lift
kuzushi....fit
kuzushi....fit
kuzushi....fit....lift
kuzushi....fit
kuzushi....fit
kuzushi....fit....lift
etc...
etc...
etc...
ad nauseum....

just ogoshi for now; but it and my "hip block counter -> ogoshi" combo are going to make up for months and months of sei o nage...

ShaolinTiger00
02-20-2004, 11:52 AM
uuuuccchhhiiiikkkkooommmmiii.....

Pork Chop
02-20-2004, 12:21 PM
tryin to follow suntzu's lead and "speak english" :D

only problem is that "grip" & "offbalance" don't really do kuzushi any justice; so I kept with the japanese for step one...

I "uchi komi" (step through the throw) to make him "ochi komu" (depressed). :D

Suntzu
02-20-2004, 12:33 PM
http://fat.xir.dk/god.jpg
:D

Pork Chop
02-20-2004, 12:44 PM
so that's the chick u wuz bangin last weekend? :D

Merryprankster
02-20-2004, 12:44 PM
btw it was my left foot MP

Oops. Good point. I swept with my right....