PDA

View Full Version : Most important

bodhitree
02-20-2004, 10:36 AM
What do you consider most crutial to your training? Please explain why you feel the way you do.

MasterKiller
02-20-2004, 10:44 AM
IME, conditioning is the deciding factor in most fights/matches.

canglong
02-20-2004, 06:33 PM
...seems like the best possible answer of the choices available because my stance requires precision as well.

Vash
02-20-2004, 07:14 PM
I've got to give it to strength and conditioning. Stances and stability are good, but to be able to constantly shift to where you need to be and to generate the power for the strike(s) once you get there, you need to have a pretty decent machine running.

The other traits would fall behind the training of techniques and the conditioning of my tools.

norther practitioner
02-21-2004, 03:57 PM
Each of those tie into each other a bit...

Conditioning etc. should be incorportated into all.

freehand
02-22-2004, 11:19 AM
Of the choices offered, I would say precision. But given the question with no limitations, I would say the ability to flow. I have studied another Buddhist temple art (Kung Fu San Soo), not Shaolin, but I think this would apply to all combat arts. A few dozen techniques, well learned, and the ability to flow without hesitation from block or evasion with simultaneous counterstrike, to chin na or throw... surely this matters more than who can bench press more weight or run a marathon. How long do you think a fight would last?

If I can punch thru oak, and throw a punch, but you slip the punch and kick my groin, how do you think the rest of the fight will go? And how long would it take?

I know some scary knife fighters, including a short, slightly chubby middle-aged mom, who don't *look like super athletes. But they have the skills, even if they can't jump six feet up.

Gold Horse Dragon
02-22-2004, 05:28 PM
All except one are all equally NB. Speed not as much. Sensing and timing are far more important than speed. You can have someone who has very fast reflexes but poor sensing and timing come up against someone who has average reflexes but excellent sensing and timing and given that all other factors are more or less equal, the person with better sensing and timing will be able to appear faster than the person with the actual better reflexes and will be able move out of the way, block, strike etc. the person with the faster reflex. Sensing skills and timing...just as NB as all the others in an equal way.

GHD

mickey
02-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Greetings,

Conditioning and strength would be my choice because it includes the other three. Norther practitioner is right on the money about the "tie in."

Conditioning and strength are essential to the development of attributes and skills. I would expand conditioning and strength to include chi cultivation.

mickey

stimulant
02-24-2004, 07:56 AM
aggression.....an unskilled aggressive man can win against skilled fighters.

but i'd say conditioning if I have to choose from the list!