PDA

View Full Version : low stance

TjD
02-20-2004, 01:52 PM
a few questions :D

do any of you use the stance where one knee is on the ground?
if so when, and is it in your forms?
what do you use it for?

also, does anyone know the name of this stance?

taltos
02-20-2004, 02:14 PM
I believe it is called Gwai Mah (kneeling horse). It's not in any of the forms I know, but I learned to use it to either subdue a prone opponent (kind of a modified mounted position with your knee in their armpit or kidney), or when you are just behind them to collapse their knee.

I'm sure there are others as well.

-Levi

hunt1
02-20-2004, 02:38 PM
I know of two different styles of wing chun that have it or had it in Bui Jee and it was one of the 18 san sik Yip Man taught when he first started teaching and before he taught the forms.

yuanfen
02-20-2004, 03:03 PM
While the stance is not self evident in some forms- it can be a good application following foundations in biu jee and bjd.

Phenix
02-20-2004, 05:13 PM
In Yik Kam lineage,
The second section of Yik Kam SLT has the down ward lead didnt go down all the way but swing past.

some forms including the two men chi sau form has it.
also the knive form has it.

anerlich
02-21-2004, 12:18 AM
In TWC it's in Bil Jee, but not the weapons or any other forms.

It can be used to control a downed opponent, but IMO the BJJ style knee-on-stomach position does this more effectively. We use it more for throws and takedowns.

KPM
02-21-2004, 12:44 PM
Yes, it is called "Gwai Ma". It is found in both Yuen Kay Shan/Sum Nung WCK as well as Koo Lo Pin Sun WCK. It was undoubtedly part of the original Red Boat era methods.

Keith

taltos
02-22-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by anerlich
In TWC it's in Bil Jee, but not the weapons or any other forms.

It can be used to control a downed opponent, but IMO the BJJ style knee-on-stomach position does this more effectively. We use it more for throws and takedowns.

Anerlich, do you train to use it for throws and takedowns from more than the back and the side? I'm finally starting to get pretty good and using it to control my opponents knee from behind or beside, but unfortunately that's about the limit for me right now.

Do you mean the stance can be used as a sort of "hip throw" like in other grappiling arts (when you are in front of the opponent)? If so, I've never really though about it in that way, but it seems to make sense.

-Levi

stonecrusher69
02-22-2004, 01:44 PM
the low horse is used in the wing chun style I practice (buddha hand).Although inthe form we don't kneel down,we do use it that way and others in application.

anerlich
02-22-2004, 02:52 PM
"Anerlich, do you train to use it for throws and takedowns from more than the back and the side? I'm finally starting to get pretty good and using it to control my opponents knee from behind or beside, but unfortunately that's about the limit for me right now."

You can use it for ankle pick like trips and takedowns (which sounds like what you are talking about), and also if you can apply a shoulder or elbow lock (e.g figure 4 or cutting armbar) from standing to take the person to the floor. A bit of a stretch maybe, but the basic fireman's carry also passes through a stance like this.

"Do you mean the stance can be used as a sort of "hip throw" like in other grappiling arts (when you are in front of the opponent)? If so, I've never really though about it in that way, but it seems to make sense."

I've seen my Sifu do exactly this when a visiting moron tried to slap a choke on him from behind. On a hardwood floor, too. Ouch.

From one POV, it's basically a level change, commonly used in wrestling and throwing arts, but less so with the backward step as performed in TWC Bil Jee.

Wingman
02-23-2004, 12:49 AM
In my first post in the thread "Connecting Wing Chun with Grappling" (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=27823&pagenumber=1), I described how a "kneeling horse" can be used to throw an opponent.

blooming lotus
02-23-2004, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by TjD
a few questions :D

do any of you use the stance where one knee is on the ground?
if so when, and is it in your forms?
what do you use it for?

also, does anyone know the name of this stance?

Is that like xie bu??