PDA

View Full Version : Mass Destruction 15

jun_erh
02-22-2004, 12:00 PM
caught this last night (http://www.massdestruction.tv/MD/md15.html)

This was the fist mixed martial arts UFC style thing I had seen in person. It was in a nightclub, sort of futuristic like we were going to watch Sylvester Stallone fight a cyborg of himself or something. Nice looking ring girls, not too many chicks in the audience, and none of them looked like they were into martial arts or even wanted to be there. one girl had a fur coat!

Some thoughts highlights

-this would be a great place to bring a wanna be tough guy.

-there are a ton of big scary Irish guys in Boston

-some of the competitors were young, like 18.

-One guy got dq'ed for fishhooking, eye gouging. He was going to win anyway.

-the title fight was excellent UFC quality. Unfortunately they really needed another round. (there were 2 rounds of 4 minutes each 15 fights!)

-One guy felt the other guy was a "*****" so he mimiced breasts with his hands and threw his gross mouthgaurd at him. The defendent was a pretty boy kickboxer, an anomoly in a night of brutal looking figures.

-One guy had on bermuda shorts like you had in 6th grade circa '86. He would high five the guy whenever he was knocked down and also had a heart shaved into his chest hair. He was very funny.

-very important to get in the front row for these events or you will miss alot, particularly the grappling.

If you're into MMA I would recommend the DVD for the title fight alone. don't know abut the other ones. If you live in Boston and you missed this DON'T next time.

David Jamieson
02-23-2004, 07:01 AM
excellent UFC quality

sorry, but "BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

or

IMNSHO- you will see 1 fight in 1000 in the UFC that has any quality whatsoever.

My raging laughter is over.

cheers

Liokault
02-23-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Kung Lek

sorry, but "BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

or

IMNSHO- you will see 1 fight in 1000 in the UFC that has any quality whatsoever.

My raging laughter is over.

cheers

But you can show us video of 100's of quality Kung Fu fights right? After all there must be 100's more kung fu masters than MMA'ists.

Mutant
02-23-2004, 11:36 AM
sounds entertaining enough. yeah there sure are plenty of knuckle-draggers at the mma fights, hehe. one of these times i'll get down there to see one of those mass-destruction events.

if you liked that, you should check out the next fight night at revere beach, no road trip required, theyre right in the metro area.
right by the wonderland dog-track. same kind of surreal shady nightclub atmosphere. never a shortage of fine looking women in attendance. great people-watching atmosphere. and some great fights (esp. the sanshou fights, but of course i'm biased. although the crowd sure seemed to agree & most had never seen it before). they have them once or twice a year.

David Jamieson
02-23-2004, 01:32 PM
lio-

:rolleyes:

i reiterate, bwahahahahahaha!

so there, that is my opinion. :D

cheers

lkfmdc
02-23-2004, 01:41 PM
KL probably wacks the the "greatness" of Chan Hak Fu vs Wu Gung Yi :rolleyes:

Shaolinlueb
02-23-2004, 02:51 PM
some of those guys know how to fight though.

lkfmdc
02-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Frank Shamrock
Mo Smith
Pete Spratt
BJ Penn
Randy Couture
Chuck Lidell
Tito Ortiz
Jens Pulver
Caol Uno
Bas Rutten

These are guys from UFC's past and present, give me a list of similar skilled kung fu guys from the same period (last 10 years) that can be verified

Liokault
02-24-2004, 04:08 AM
Ikfmdc

These are guys from UFC's past and present, give me a list of similar skilled kung fu guys from the same period (last 10 years) that can be verified

Or any era if verification is required.

Ford Prefect
02-24-2004, 07:34 AM
Jun_erh,

I completely forgot about this event and was ****ed that I missed it. I used to train with Mike (winner of title fight) and Kenny (the guy that kamura'd the other dude in 3:00). Kenny would rip my arms from their sockets and beat me with them. :) I'll make sure to catch the next one.

David Jamieson
02-24-2004, 08:27 AM
yep, some of em are terrific fighters, however most of em shouldn't be getting in the ring at all.

lol, it's true. I would probably put the percentage of hacks at somewhere near 90-99% of the total of ufc entrants.

But there are a few genuinely good fighters that enter. Too bad it's not a more quality less quantity oriented thing. Ah well, what can you do?

cheers

one more time, bwahahahahahahahaha.

shaolin kungfu
02-24-2004, 10:31 AM
KL, is this your opinion of ufc or mma in general?

David Jamieson
02-24-2004, 11:51 AM
i am by definition an mma-er in acuality when i really look at it.

I practice traditional kungfu that I learned over the course of approx 7 years in the kwoon i used to attend.

I also exchange with others from a wide variety of ma at every given opportunity, so far I have learned some wing chun, a different version of some yang taijiquan, a little kali, a little ground work, a little modern combative theory.

I enjoy fencing (french foil) immensely, I lift weights, I use a modern gym and I practice Hatha yoga as well. I still practice much of the Karate I was taught when I was young, and still throw in some tkd kicking drills.

Now, I don't get into the ring anymore, but I wouldn't be 100% adverse to it if there was something in it for my risk and time. I am pretty much 40 years old afterall and not really that interested in competitive fighting for sport.

So, do I have a downward view of MMA? NO, I think more people should get the heck out of their shells and start to look at what else is out there.

Do I like nhb, ufc and the likes? No, it's a spectacle and basically is just another form of circuses and bloodsport which has no redeeming value to myself or likeminded individuals.

Do I have respect for the fighting skills of some of teh people who enter these contests? Sure, there are quite a few of em that have hella good skeelz mang, but my observation is that since the start of these competitions (yes I've been around long enough to have seen the very earliest iterations) and toughman like contests, there has consistently been a dominant showing of poor skill and poor fighters just getting in there to a) be on tv because they are vapid and vacuous in their thought patterns. or b) juvenile displays of aggression that are not backed by any technical skill whatsoever.

so, i think the format shouldn't be open to every tom **** and harry like it is and that there proibably should be more stringent criteria to these events that will only enhance their credibility instead of making it the more or less ridiculous testosterone slug fest that it is.

I imagine that will come with time and a little more integrity on the part of the promoters of these things who for the most part don't give a dang about anything except getting the ticket price.

capice amigo? :D

cheers

jun_erh
02-24-2004, 03:42 PM
Do I like nhb, ufc and the likes? No, it's a spectacle and basically is just another form of circuses and bloodsport which has no redeeming value to myself or likeminded individuals.

I'd probably tell myself that too if all I got out of a lifetime of martial arts was a position as moderator on this board.

circuses

David Jamieson
02-24-2004, 04:02 PM
I'd probably tell myself that too if all I got out of a lifetime of martial arts was a position as moderator on this board.

bwahahahaha! That was pretty funny :D

cheers

rubthebuddha
02-24-2004, 05:13 PM
:(

;)