Suntzu
02-23-2004, 09:07 AM
monster!!!

Royal Dragon
02-23-2004, 09:10 AM
Shhhhhhhhh, don't tell, but I did his sister :eek:

Shaolinlueb
02-23-2004, 09:13 AM
thats nice man. i wish i could train for K1. i wouldnt mind doing it for a while.

red5angel
02-23-2004, 09:23 AM
why do muy thai guys kick to the thighs all the time? Is that some sort of muy thai dim mak or something :)

Royal Dragon
02-23-2004, 09:23 AM
I'd get killed.

MasterKiller
02-23-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
why do muy thai guys kick to the thighs all the time? Is that some sort of muy thai dim mak or something :) Probably because if you hurt their leg enough, they can't kick you back.

Shaolinlueb
02-23-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
Probably because if you hurt their leg enough, they can't kick you back.

werd plus charlie horses hurt. plus inner thigh is ultra sensitive. :D

red5angel
02-23-2004, 09:48 AM
plus inner thigh is ultra sensitive.

It's usually the outer thight they are kicking though. I guess fcorm a sport perspective what masterkiller says makes sense. If you have to go several rounds and they are just beating your thighs to a pulp then kicking would get much harder.

apoweyn
02-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by red5angel

It's usually the outer thight they are kicking though. I guess fcorm a sport perspective what masterkiller says makes sense. If you have to go several rounds and they are just beating your thighs to a pulp then kicking would get much harder.

It's a relatively big target. Relatively hard to defend. And hitting it will hamper a guy's ability to kick back or use their footwork properly. And after watching one of Khun Kao's guys kicking an 80-lb. heavybag horizontal one kick after another, I think if I took one of those on the thigh (or anywhere else) I'd just opt for shooting myself.

Stuart B.

CrippledAvenger
02-23-2004, 10:54 AM
First off, Thais don't always kick the thigh. There's a lot of kicks thrown to other targets. However, what Ap's saying is completely true-- kicking the thigh is a large, high percentage targe that effects your opponent's mobility and kicking ability. This makes it an ideal attack to use if you're facing an opponent who can kick-- you take away his weapons one at a time.

This is like complaining that boxers always go to the body. You have to know why people go for the targets they do. :rolleyes:

Suntzu
02-23-2004, 01:32 PM
must…get…the… Masato…vs… Bang… fight… soon……. Saw it on mma.tv a while back… awesome fight……

Meat Shake
02-23-2004, 01:40 PM
Good clip.

And yes, the thigh is a good target to wear down the opponents kicks.
You've never been "dead legged"?
There is a pressure point in the middle of the thigh that hurts pretty **** bad to get hit on repeatedly.

stimulant
02-23-2004, 01:58 PM
they kick the thighs as there are nerve points which if hit right stop you from standing on both legs

Once stopped a boxer who was destroying my with punches up close (after finally avoiding my long range kicks!). Caught him in his right thigh with one non-too-powerful kick (my shin ot his thigh) and down he went. He got up right away and then promptly fell over as he could not stand!

rubthebuddha
02-24-2004, 12:21 AM
red5 -- the kicks are indeed more to wear your opponent down and make him less mobile and less able to kick back. to see the effect of this over the course of a match or a tourney, rent a k-1 grand prix tape, preferably something with mark hunt and/or peter aerts. in k1gp format, 8 guys start the night, and to win the tourney, you have to win* 3 matches in that same night. not an easy thing, so kicks to the thigh suck ass when you need to be mobile for 3 matches of badness.

*in 2002, ernesto hoost didn't win all three of his matches, rather, he wound up being the object on which other people broke themselves.

SifuAbel
02-24-2004, 02:50 AM
The guy had good hands. What weight category is he in?

Suntzu
02-24-2004, 07:12 AM

apoweyn
02-24-2004, 07:19 AM
to see the effect of this over the course of a match or a tourney, rent a k-1 grand prix tape

Or check out the Marco Ruas-Paul "Polar Bear" Varelans match in the UFC. Ruas was outweighed by god only knows how much, but he kept landing that thigh kick until Varelans' leg literally wouldn't support his weight anymore. Then he fell over. End of fight.

brothernumber9
02-24-2004, 07:39 AM
one of those clips looked like masato was fighting someone who looked like or who was genki sudo. Did that fight actually happen?

Suntzu
02-24-2004, 08:25 AM
masato vs sudo did happen.... entertaining fight....

red5angel
02-24-2004, 08:42 AM
thanks for the info guys, I figured as much but wanted to make sure.