PDA

View Full Version : what grappling do you mix in?

CHEUNG-WINGCHUN
02-23-2004, 08:53 AM
Just wondering for all those who study wingchun, but also practise some ground fighting skills

what do you recommend? and what would you say to stay away from? in terms of style?

CHEUNG-WINGCHUN
02-23-2004, 08:58 AM
i like the look of judo, feels like the game we used to play in junior school - high school called "classical trips" where you try to trip the other guy over using anything possible...

Gangsterfist
02-23-2004, 09:09 AM
Honestly, we do not train any traditional style of ground fighting, we train a mixture of things. We mix judo and jujutsu with wrestling and chin na.

You do not need to be a black belt in any ground fighting style to be able to deal with it. I would suggest training practical things if you want a realistic combat style of fighting.

Learn about the guard and the mount and all the different ways you can be in the guard and in the mount. Like side mount, side guard, open guard, closed guard, and so forth.

Learn how to avoid certain ground moves by shrimping, evading, rolling, getting back on your feet etc.

For a deeper look, check out victors thread: Connecting Wing Chun w/ Grappling on this forum.

good luck with your training.

Mckind13
02-23-2004, 09:40 AM
And just like touching as many different hands as posible, wrestle as many different people and styles as posible.

With and without striking :)

David

Gangsterfist
02-23-2004, 11:06 AM
Agreed, the more variety of ground fighters you roll around and get sweaty with the better you will be at it.

anerlich
02-23-2004, 02:26 PM
Machado BJJ, all the way.

Unlike too many TCMA stylists, smart BJJers recognise the need to cross-train, and thus regularly work with and examine other grappling styles and stylists.

tiger_1
02-25-2004, 02:39 PM
My friend dnt mixed wing chun with onthers martial arts , specialy with some like kick boks or somitng naber , just traning hard and you can see results , but if you like naber creation im recomended eagle claw , naber kung fu , naber strategy , and good finich parth in fight - friendly tiger_1:cool: (find some topic or some good informations for wong ch. leung , write or find some techer tho know beimo )

CHEUNG-WINGCHUN
02-25-2004, 08:25 PM
I can't understand you, but if you are trying to say "stay away from grappling" I think this isn't a good thing, because you must be prepared for any situation, but more importantly you must understand a grapplers frame of mind in case you fight one!

know your enemy!

:D