PDA

View Full Version : Ilya Profatilov

MantisifuFW
02-23-2004, 11:16 AM
List Members,

I attended a seminar with Shifu Ilya Profatilov this weekend. It was an excellently run event by Jake Burroughs in New Mexico.

Shifu Profatilov was impressive both technically and physically. The seminar consisted of the Ba Gang, (Eight Hard), of Taiji Meihua Tanglang and a Lan Jie Quan set form Mei Hua.

Both form and application sections of the seminar were superb. Shifu Profatilov worked with each student repeatedly to ensure that all knew and performed the techniques to the best of their ability.

In the evening, Shifu Profatilov gave a preview of his upcoming historical video with a lecture instead of the narrator. It was a facinating account, filled with historical films and photos.

Around this Shifu Profatilov and I discussed the possible areas of Qixing, Meihua and Guangbang influence present in HK Northern Praying Mantis, (he agrees that we are predominately Qixing).

There is much more to tell that I am certain will come out in other discussions but overall it was a great experience. If you have the opportunity, training with Shifu Profatilov is something not to miss.

Steve Cottrell

mantis108
02-23-2004, 12:43 PM
Thank you deeply for the report.

<<<I attended a seminar with Shifu Ilya Profatilov this weekend. It was an excellently run event by Jake Burroughs in New Mexico.>>>

First and foremost, I would like to congratulate Shifu Ilya Profatilov, Jake Burroughs, and all those who attended making the event successful. I do envy you all. Also I would like to thank Sifu Cottrell in posting this great report. I wish I was there. :(

<<<Shifu Profatilov was impressive both technically and physically. The seminar consisted of the Ba Gang, (Eight Hard), of Taiji Meihua Tanglang and a Lan Jie Quan set form Mei Hua. >>>

I am always impressed with his abilities in both teaching and organizing and I respect his skills. I think he can greatly promote PM in the Americas with his talent. The material of the seminar really intrigues me. As Lanjie has always been dear to me. Of course Ba Gang definitely gets all my attention. Have you discuss with Shifu Profatilov the prospect of contributing an article to the MQ about the 8 Hard? I think it would vastly benefit the community (I guess I am speaking on my own behalf as well. :D ) But please do consider bringing that to his attention.

<<<Both form and application sections of the seminar were superb. Shifu Profatilov worked with each student repeatedly to ensure that all knew and performed the techniques to the best of their ability.>>>

This reminded me of one communication that I had with him. He insisted working hands on other than any other way. So this is a great reflection of his philosophy in action. I respect and appreciate that.

<<<In the evening, Shifu Profatilov gave a preview of his upcoming historical video with a lecture instead of the narrator. It was a facinating account, filled with historical films and photos. >>>

Sounds great, is there a logistics on the release of the video? I think a few people have been waiting for it.

<<<Around this Shifu Profatilov and I discussed the possible areas of Qixing, Meihua and Guangbang influence present in HK Northern Praying Mantis, (he agrees that we are predominately Qixing).>>>

I would love to hear the details of the discussion if you don't mind. Any information shared would be greatly appreciated. :)

<<<There is much more to tell that I am certain will come out in other discussions but overall it was a great experience. If you have the opportunity, training with Shifu Profatilov is something not to miss.>>>

I echo that training oppotunity with Shifu Profatilov is not to be missed. I am extremely curious as to your thoughts on the material. So, I really would love to hear from you first handed. BTW, I am also curious as to the drills that were covered if any. Thank you for a great report.

Warm regards

Robert Hui

PS did you meet other KFO forum members at the seminar? Just curious.

MantisifuFW
02-23-2004, 01:31 PM
Mantis 108,

Indeed they were there, Yu Shan and John Scolaro, (sp), of Florida were both there. We and Shifu Profatilov had a great time together discussing history and technique. It was good to have the chance to see some of Pong Lai's two person drills, too. Those guys train HARD so if you go visit Yu Shan, be ready!

Oh, and I did approach Shifu Profatilov about an article or two for the Quarterly, (more than once). He has agreed to do so and we look forward to it.

It was a ton of fun and I am recovering!

Steve Cottrell

ursa major
02-23-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by MantisifuFW
... I attended a seminar with Shifu Ilya Profatilov this weekend. It was an excellently run event by Jake Burroughs in New Mexico...

You know the really great events are always happening somewhere that I am not and even then I always hear about it a day late... :(

Regards,
UM.

MantisifuFW
02-23-2004, 09:52 PM
Ursa Major,

Indeed it was a good time. I hate that you missed it.

What I was most impressed by was the spirit of cooperation and genuine desire to share what we knew. I think this was an event that will build on the Quarterly's function of bringing the communtiy together. Shifu Scolaro had some great ideas on how to conduct other venues for instructors as well as students.

As we are already talking about other get togethers, I feel pretty certain that it will happen. When we do so again, rest assured that I will do my best to get the word out! Four different lines of Tanglang getting together and getting along is a significant thing. It gives me hope that more of us could successfully do it in the future.

Steve Cottrell

ursa major
02-24-2004, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by MantisifuFW
... What I was most impressed by was the spirit of cooperation and genuine desire to share what we knew...

MantisifuFW,

I believe the search for excellence in our art is not limited to the studious training of combat skills. I believe that as we progress in our learning we each become representatives of that learning and must develop ambassadorial qualities as well. As ambassadors of PM our signature of goodwill must be recodnizable by our acceptance of our brothers and cousins in the art as well as our readiness to share our understanding amongst those brothers and cousins.

What I find most encouraging about your report is that these characteristics are clearly reflected amonsgt such senior fellows in the art as Shifu Profatilov and of course, the other notable individuals in mentioned.

I would be honored to participate in any future events of this nature.

Best regards,
UM.

yu shan
02-29-2004, 09:59 PM
Sincere thanks to Shifu Burroughs of Albuquerque, New Mexico. A well done get-together of awe-inspiring Teachers and students. Facilities were nice, food good and company... quality. I personally made some new good friends.

Weekend started with a party at Jakes house. Profatilov, Scolaro, Cottrell, Burroughs and the rest of us. A very interesting evening of conversation to say the least. I`m excited about what is on the horizon.

Saturday as Shifu Cottrell said was impressive! Master Profatilov is technically sound, and very physical. I was lucky to have been his partner during the "eight hard", and "Lanjie apps". I was pounded and thrown about like a dish rag. Just when you thought you had it down, he threw another "way" of doing the techs. My observation, he does not use muscle strength, a supple kind of way. But he did hit very hard... I`m lucky I train with the likes of Scolaro and Tainan Mantis. It was nice flying home with a black eye. Lanjie was alot of fun. I had seen mostly the Secret Door version but enjoyed the way Profatilov taught. The Plumblossom version is very fluid. The applications are deceiving when thought of by doing the form. But when Master Profatilov executes the applications, it makes since. Lanjie is loaded with applications, and was interesting to learn apps verses the ling-side to a form.

Profatilov is a good Teacher and cares that you get it. I can see why Tainan Mantis talks so highly of him. I feel very lucky to have been a part of this weekend. Mostly for the friends I made. And the honor of meeting Profatilov. Well worth the trip!!!

mantis108
03-01-2004, 01:24 PM
Great to hear your detailed report about the event. I feel so sad that I can't make it there.

I think it is really a memorable gathering since quite a few different schools' teachers attended and all went away with great material. I think being partner to Sifu Profatilov is a bonus in itself.

Like you I would have no reservation in recommending training with Sifu Profatilov. Also the names that you have mentioned are all very high calibre Mantis stylists in the west. It is great that you have quality time with them.

Lanjie is one of my main pursuit. I have 2 versions (CCK TCPM and Mimen). I have seen Zhang Bingdao's TJMHPM version. It would be nice to know the Meihwa version for comparison. Missing the seminar really suck. :( Anyway, hope to hear your insights as you work with the material in the future.

Warm regards

Mantis108.

KWUsCRD
03-07-2004, 02:37 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I personally would like to see how he interacts with other masters etc.

Being a relatively new student of Shifu Ilya Profatilov, I have only seen him interact with the other few students he teaches.

It was very enjoyable reading your recollection of the event since I couldn't be there first hand.

Maybe in the future... anyways, thank you once again, it's greatly appreceated.