PDA

View Full Version : Mantis Specialities...

blackmantis
02-23-2004, 12:03 PM
If you were to explain northern mantis to someone, what specialities would you say the style has? that is to say, what distinguashes mantis from other styles?

S

mantis108
02-23-2004, 01:16 PM
to use a traditional language in describing Mantis would be:

"Meihua Taiji Shou" Plumblossom Grand Ultimate hands.
"Hou Shr Hanji Bu" Monkey Disposition Winter Rooster stance.

In layman's term - mantis hands (the hooks) and monkey footwork.

Mantis108

EarthDragon
02-23-2004, 03:19 PM
I would have to say the unique trapping techniques and the ability to destroy your opponents balance with constant attacking.
This is a characteristic of mantis, as opposed to block, strike and then block again found in so many other systems.

I for one found that the monkey footwork does use quite a bit of energy and am in agreeance with using more efficent foot work from bagua such as found in 8 step which utilizes angular and circular movements to move around your opp more easily.

daohong
03-06-2004, 05:53 AM
most people, even with great experience, have to resort to "monkey" footwork when someone who knows what they are doing is trying to advance through them with the intention of crippling them

EarthDragon
03-06-2004, 12:31 PM
hmmmmm Dao long ,
just wondering how you think one would have to resort to monkey footwork?
I have found that simply using slight steeping angles when being attacked is much more effecient and easier to execute.
expending more energy for movement leaves less for countering.

SevenStar
03-12-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by EarthDragon
the ability to destroy your opponents balance with constant attacking.

that's not uniquely mantis...

EarthDragon
03-12-2004, 06:24 PM
Seven star,

I did say in my post that.............. "I would have to say the unique trapping techniques and the ability to destroy your opponents balance with constant attacking".
This is a characteristic of mantis, as opposed to block, strike and then block again found in so many other systems.

Possible I wasnt totally clear but as I read that I seem to say that the trapping is unique not the destroying balance part. And than said it is a characteristic of mantis.

Just a thought. peace

SevenStar
03-14-2004, 06:21 AM
yeah, you did. But in context to the topic, those characteristics don't distinguish mantis from other styles, necessarily.