PDA

View Full Version : Mantis and Bagua

blackmantis
02-24-2004, 11:51 AM
Hello Everyone,

I am a 15 year old who has been learning northern mantis for quite some time, but have recently heard of the wonders of bagua! The style of mantis I am learning seems to be quite internal compared to most mantis styles, but almost certainly nothing like bagua.

What are the main differences between bagua and mantis? Would it be possible to learn them both at the same time? Do you have any information at all that could be useful?

Many thanks,

S

Ray Pina
02-24-2004, 12:30 PM
I studied Southern Mantis quite heavily (5 days a week) for three years. Though I think this differs from Northern. We only did low kicks and never used a mantis claw. All closed fists and my teacher barrowed and modified a lot of Hung Gar elements as well, mostly earth over hand hammer blows.

Anyway, I now study under a master of Hsing-I and Ba Gua. The differences on one hand are huge, right down to mindset. On another hand, some techniques look similiar but are used differently.

Example, an over head block movement can be used differently by different styles. My internal teacher showed me how it's not an overhead block and it's not a reverse punch ... it's both at the same time while being fully neither. The fist turns out to strike (NOT FROM CHAMBER!!!!) while the elbow raises to deflect.

Not a new movement but a new way of using and seeing the movement. This is what internal has done. Power, the power now comes effortlessly. It's built in the design, you don't have to add it.

If you find a good teacher follow him. Study both if you can. You may find they compliment each other. You may find one makes the other mute. Only one way to find out. Good luck.

RAF
02-24-2004, 12:31 PM
If you have access to instruction in someone well-versed in 8 Step Praying Mantis, you have a system that incorporates some postures, applications etc. from both bagua and xing yi. Therefore learning some elementary bagua and xing yi complements your 8 Step Praying mantis (IMO).

Good luck!

count
02-24-2004, 09:01 PM
The short answer is bagua will definitely improve your mantis. There shouldn't be a problem learning both. Especially if you have been doing the mantis for "quite some time" as you put it. As to the differences and similarities, I see differences in the various styles of Northern Mantis. Some have more similarities to bagua than others. 8 step, as RAF pointed out, uses bagua footwork as opposed to say the monkey footwork of 7 star. What style of mantis do you do?

RAF
02-25-2004, 09:21 AM
Blackmantis:

If you have any questions regarding the training I previously posted, send a PM.

Good luck.

blackmantis
02-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Many thanks everyone,

I am not totally sure which mantis style i am learning, and my teacher is currently in china so i am un-able to ask her, however we do a lot of chi gung and internal exercises.

Just the other day i saw a photo of a bagua posture which we also practise in my mantis style... i don't know if that helps to identify my style?

Are there any simple solo exercises that i can practise that will ultimately help me when i begin to learn bagua?

thanks alot!

S

count
02-27-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by blackmantis

Are there any simple solo exercises that i can practise that will ultimately help me when i begin to learn bagua?

thanks alot!

Square Walking (http://chikungintl.com/squarewalking/) for one.

blackmantis
02-29-2004, 11:39 AM
Many thanks everyone,

What are Bagua hands like compared to mantis claws?

S

SPJ
03-07-2004, 06:35 PM
Bagua's Gong Fu is in the walk. There are 2 steps. Gou Bu (button step) you place your toes of 2 feet close together like a triangle. Bei Bu is the front heel close to the toes of rear foot. You walking by barely moving knee at the same height, your feet barely leaving the ground, It is called Tang Nih Bu (Muddy Walk). Your first step is Gou Bu, you rear foot following the new direction. You may complete the circle in 8 to 12 steps. You do a Gou Bu and stop and you turn around by doing Bei Bu with your rear foot.

Practice the walk first.

Hand Forms: 8 big Zhang. Interlink.

Please refer to the book. A winner's guide to life, meditation and martial arts. www.authorhouse.com. There is a complete chapter on how to walk in 8 trigrams circle. And of course, how to use it to fight.

Humbly yours;