PDA

View Full Version : WT videos - experiences with putting videos online

lbrason
02-24-2004, 03:03 PM
Hi all,

This is my first post athough I have been reading this forum for a while!

I've been training WT for just over 4 years and have recently added some class videos to my web site:

http://www.mywingtsun.co.uk/videos.shtml

I took a little while deciding whether to include these videos on my site as having filmed them and looked critically at them I saw myself making a few 'mistakes'. In the end I added them in their current format as I decided it at least gives me a benchmark for the future and provides a flavour of what WT is.

I guess as we always aim for perfection regardless of how 'good' I get I will always find errors with my movements?!

How do other people feel about having included videos on their sites? Have you always found adding videos online to be beneficial? I know that watching clips of WT/WC/VT masters can be very inspiring and that in comparison my skills are extremely limited. However, as the videos are to help encourage people to join/find out about local classes I thought it was important to show us training locally rather than just having videos of the masters we aspire to be...

kind regards, Luke

lbrason
02-27-2004, 02:17 PM
hello again

One go faster haircut later and I've added a couple more videos to my site...

I'm much happy with these than the previous videos (not least cus one doesn't feature me at all!)

All the best, Luke

marcus_pasram
02-28-2004, 11:47 PM
Hi Luke,

Thanks for sharing!

Its my experience that viewers like criticize wing chun videos on someone else's website/seminar videos. I feel the critics should publish something that makes a valid point (or shows it better) and hopefully people can engage in meaningful discussions.

On a personal note, I feel that reviewing your trainin videos with your instructor is a great teaching aid. When you're being corrected, you might think you've made the correction your instructor tells you, but with it there on film, its hard to fool yourself.

Good luck with your training and school
/marcus

Originally posted by lbrason
Hi all,

This is my first post athough I have been reading this forum for a while!

I've been training WT for just over 4 years and have recently added some class videos to my web site:

I took a little while deciding whether to include these videos on my site as having filmed them and looked critically at them I saw myself making a few 'mistakes'. In the end I added them in their current format as I decided it at least gives me a benchmark for the future and provides a flavour of what WT is.

I guess as we always aim for perfection regardless of how 'good' I get I will always find errors with my movements?!

How do other people feel about having included videos on their sites? Have you always found adding videos online to be beneficial? I know that watching clips of WT/WC/VT masters can be very inspiring and that in comparison my skills are extremely limited. However, as the videos are to help encourage people to join/find out about local classes I thought it was important to show us training locally rather than just having videos of the masters we aspire to be...

kind regards, Luke

lbrason
02-29-2004, 03:51 AM
Hi Marcus,

Thanks for your comments.

You are definitely right about videos showing errors that you might know you make otherwise. I think the biggest fault I made in 2 of the videos I put on my site (the defence against the strangle attacks) is that my hands go down before going forward!

I would have sworn blind my hands always went straight until I saw them doing otherwise!

K rgds, Luke