PDA

View Full Version : technique training and ability training

Octavius
02-25-2004, 12:34 AM
How do you guys break up your training to work on technique training and ability training? By this, technique training refers to the technical portions of your various sets, curriculum, applications, etc. Ability training refers to developing power, speed, timing, etc to pull off the aforementioned techniques. Do you try to do it 50/50 or more one over the other? Has it changed over the years?

stimulant
02-25-2004, 01:36 AM
Tan Tui, forms and two man drills. % is up to the individual student, but initially its all tan tui.

Ray Pina
02-25-2004, 08:55 AM
Great question.

Learn a concept, drill it in co-operation learning what muscle groups do the job. Build up the muscle memory. Then apply it.
Though I don't think of technique as do A against B and then quickly apply C and D. I look at it as "this shape works really well against straight attacks. Hold it and charge in and just adjust the elbows slightly to deal with the angle."

I know it's a technique. But it's sort of a one shape handles a lot of stuff. Instead of one move handles one move. This can lead to counters, and counter counters, and counter counter counters ... like a Bruce Lee movie. It can also be the nature of the style though.

My teacher says it should be like kissing or sucking on a breast ... you get right up in there close and get to business.

stimulant
02-25-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by EvolutionFist

My teacher says it should be like kissing or sucking on a breast ... you get right up in there close and get to business.

Your tantric style is sexually esoteric :p

Water Dragon
02-25-2004, 11:00 AM
Read this article. It was written about BJJ, but the idea applies to all the combat arts

Roy Harris Article (http://bjj.org/articles/harris-physical.html)

Ray Pina
02-25-2004, 11:24 AM
Good article

SevenStar
02-25-2004, 11:56 AM
learn them, drill them, then apply them. The apply them portion was left out of your question... if you know the technique and have the necessary attibutes, that's fine. But then you have to be able to apply it live.

In bjj, judo and mt, we follow a similar format - learn a technique, drill that technique, then spar. while sparring, attempt to apply the technique you learned that night.

drilling is key, as without it you may miss some of the technical aspects when applying it, or you may completely forget about the tecnique while sparring, as it's not ingrained into your brain.