PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Exercises? Are these in Hung Gar?

Kymus
02-25-2004, 08:13 AM
When I was taking Green Draon Kuoshu, one of the things we did for our opening warm ups was called "Tiger Exercises" It was a set of what you could call 4 extremely small forms. They were Iron Horse & Tiger, Stone Tiger, Fierce Tiger, and Hunting Tiger. We were given a document with the description of how to do each when we first learned them. On the document, it had the classic Hung Gar guys in a forward tiger stance (dunno if there is an exact name, but that's my best desription). Now I know that Green Dragon is made up of Dragon, Tiger, and Crane, and it also has atleast 1 Choy Lay Fut form in it (the Flying Dragon Fan). But I am under suspicion that Hung Gar may also be in there (or maybe something else?). So I was currious if anyone had a clue as to what I was talking about. If you want, I can give a description of all 4 movements, it's fairly easy.

One Finger Zen
02-27-2004, 12:25 PM
hey kymus, i do hung kuen and im quite curious to know what the hey you're talkin 'bout!! if those descriptions are still on offer could you tell me them?

Cheers
One Finger Zen:D

Kymus
02-27-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by One Finger Zen
hey kymus, i do hung kuen and im quite curious to know what the hey you're talkin 'bout!! if those descriptions are still on offer could you tell me them?

Cheers
One Finger Zen:D

Iron Horse and Tiger:
Horse stance, 3 tiger claw thrusts straight forward, chamber, stand. (we would all these except Fierce Tiger twice)(also, the hands are always in tiger claws)

Stone Tiger:
Horse Stance, double forearm block upwards, crosss arms, left over right and then bring arms straight out to the sides, cross again, and bring them down almost like a downward block, but you keep both arms of their respective sides, cross arms, chamber, stand

Fierce Tiger:
Horse stance, forearm blocks in front (like using a forearm block against a punch), right starts, then left, then right, etc, to the count of 10, chamber and stand

Hunting tiger:
horse stance, cross arms right over left (on the left side) and switch to a Leaning Cat stance, then go into a Mountain Climbing stance and thrust forward with the arms. Back to Horse stance, do the same on the right now. Repeat both again. Chamber fists, and then stand.

Je Lei Sifu
02-28-2004, 12:31 AM
Kymus,

I study Hung Ga Kuen also, but I cannot say that I have ever heard of the exercises you mentioned. However, all teachers have their own methods of training their students.

I see that you are located in Ewing, NJ, can you tell me who your sifu is? I may know him.

Peace

Jerry Battle

Kymus
02-28-2004, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Je Lei Sifu
Kymus,

I study Hung Ga Kuen also, but I cannot say that I have ever heard of the exercises you mentioned. However, all teachers have their own methods of training their students.

I see that you are located in Ewing, NJ, can you tell me who your sifu is? I may know him.

Peace

Jerry Battle

Grand Master S.L. Martin

The kwoon used to be in Bordentown, NJ, but they moved it to another part of NJ that I am unfamiliar with.

here's a link for you:
http://www.geocities.com/umara2000/schools/schoolgd.html

Je Lei Sifu
02-28-2004, 11:51 AM
Kymus,

Thanx for the reply.

I do know Master S. L. Martin. It's been about a year since I have seen him. Usually I run into him at the tournaments held in Maryland. I met Master Martin back in 1987 through my sihing. Master Martin knows my sihing by the name Rome.

Can you tell me if he still run his UMARA tournaments?

Peace

Jerry Battle.

Kymus
02-28-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Je Lei Sifu
Kymus,

Thanx for the reply.

I do know Master S. L. Martin. It's been about a year since I have seen him. Usually I run into him at the tournaments held in Maryland. I met Master Martin back in 1987 through my sihing. Master Martin knows my sihing by the name Rome.

Can you tell me if he still run his UMARA tournaments?

Peace

Jerry Battle.

As far as I know, he does. I haven't been with the Green Dragon school for over a year, but when I was going regularly, there were still UMARA tournaments.

Je Lei Sifu
02-28-2004, 03:41 PM
Kymus,

Thanx for the reply.

I haven't gone to any local tournies since the late 80's. I look forward to going to one in the near future.

Peace

Jerry Battle.