PDA

View Full Version : Weapons?

Odin of Wei
02-25-2004, 07:36 PM
When and what weapons are best to use on the street?

And what would YOU do if you got them pulled on you.

A dear friend of mine just got like 10 very older guys pull knifes on him. Luckly he ran away and is safe. But if you don't have an escape...:(

SanSoo Student
02-26-2004, 01:06 AM
10 guys with knives, good luck living through that..

In that situation probably a shotgun...

Any conventional concealed weapon would be useless...If it was in an alley, try using like trash can lid, or something to throw at them so you can run. 10-1 is really hard to just survive.

dimmakseminar
02-26-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Odin of Wei
...what weapons are best to use on the street?

Dear Mr. Odin of Wei:

The correct answer is: Mind Bullets

Sincerely,

dimmakseminar

shaolin kungfu
02-26-2004, 12:54 PM
lol @ mind bullets

freehand
02-26-2004, 09:40 PM
Odin of Wei:
There is much to be said for carrying firearms. Technically, they trump even 10 guys with knives, if you get the drop on them. I would not advise carrying a handgun if you cannot do it legally.

Given that not everyone can get a license to carry (I live in the Wild West, where it is relatively easy), we should consider other options. I am old and grey, and can get away with walking with a simple wooden cane. If I were to anticipate trouble, or if I lived in a bad neighborhood, I would walk (not swagger) with it. It makes you look weaker, even tho you have a weapon already in your hand. I would show those muggers my mad old man cane techniques! Haha! Unless they stabbed me first :(

I always have a locking pocket knife with me, but I have to reach for it first. Most of my martial friends carry them where they can get to them quickly. My wife is not in the habit, for she works in a prison, and is not allowed in to work armed.

For a while, I had my keys on the end of a 12" dog choke chain, in the watch pocket of my jeans with the free ring hanging out. Inconspicuous and within reach. When I got jumped by a pit bull and his friend, I used it to take a key-sized piece of his nose off, which caught his attention, and kept him at bay (how are your weighted chain skills?). It doesn't hurt a pit bull to punch it in the neck, I found out...

If you use tools professionally, you might keep one at hand. Heck, I'm a computer geek, and I could get away with a medium screwdriver in my back pocket. Most of us are more likely to run afoul of the law than of bandits, so keep in mind how it would look if you had a conversation with the police.

Do you wear a tie? Consider a velcro tab under the collar, so you can't be choked with it, and perhaps a small weight (silver dollar?) in the end. Learn rope tying and weighted chain techniques. Are you a biker or cowboy? Look at belt options. Neopunks have many useful-looking fashion accessories. But watch our for body piercings... I know someone who watched a gangsta get both eyebrow rings yanked out by someone he threw a punch at... I haven't worn my earing since 1980 or so. Keeps getting yanked out in practice.

Practice in the clothes you normally wear. About 1980 a little (105 lbs, 48 kg) gal who trained in Kung Fu San Soo was getting fresh air near a bar when a drunk gave her grief. Attacked by the fool, she waited till he was two steps away to lift up her miniskirt. As he took another step and his eyes dropped, she drove her 48 kilos into a front heel stomp to his crotch. She was wearing spike high heels. "A good thing my husband wasn't here," she said, "or he'd have *hurt the guy..."

Heheh.

Odin of Wei
02-27-2004, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by dimmakseminar

Dear Mr. Odin of Wei:

The correct answer is: Mind Bullets

Sincerely,

dimmakseminar
Thanks....I'll keep that in....mind.
ha ha ha

Originally posted by freehand
Odin of Wei:
There is much to be said for carrying firearms. Technically, they trump even 10 guys with knives, if you get the drop on them. I would not advise carrying a handgun if you cannot do it legally.

Given that not everyone can get a license to carry (I live in the Wild West, where it is relatively easy), we should consider other options. I am old and grey, and can get away with walking with a simple wooden cane. If I were to anticipate trouble, or if I lived in a bad neighborhood, I would walk (not swagger) with it. It makes you look weaker, even tho you have a weapon already in your hand. I would show those muggers my mad old man cane techniques! Haha! Unless they stabbed me first :(

I always have a locking pocket knife with me, but I have to reach for it first. Most of my martial friends carry them where they can get to them quickly. My wife is not in the habit, for she works in a prison, and is not allowed in to work armed.

For a while, I had my keys on the end of a 12" dog choke chain, in the watch pocket of my jeans with the free ring hanging out. Inconspicuous and within reach. When I got jumped by a pit bull and his friend, I used it to take a key-sized piece of his nose off, which caught his attention, and kept him at bay (how are your weighted chain skills?). It doesn't hurt a pit bull to punch it in the neck, I found out...

If you use tools professionally, you might keep one at hand. Heck, I'm a computer geek, and I could get away with a medium screwdriver in my back pocket. Most of us are more likely to run afoul of the law than of bandits, so keep in mind how it would look if you had a conversation with the police.

Do you wear a tie? Consider a velcro tab under the collar, so you can't be choked with it, and perhaps a small weight (silver dollar?) in the end. Learn rope tying and weighted chain techniques. Are you a biker or cowboy? Look at belt options. Neopunks have many useful-looking fashion accessories. But watch our for body piercings... I know someone who watched a gangsta get both eyebrow rings yanked out by someone he threw a punch at... I haven't worn my earing since 1980 or so. Keeps getting yanked out in practice.

Practice in the clothes you normally wear. About 1980 a little (105 lbs, 48 kg) gal who trained in Kung Fu San Soo was getting fresh air near a bar when a drunk gave her grief. Attacked by the fool, she waited till he was two steps away to lift up her miniskirt. As he took another step and his eyes dropped, she drove her 48 kilos into a front heel stomp to his crotch. She was wearing spike high heels. "A good thing my husband wasn't here," she said, "or he'd have *hurt the guy..."

Heheh.
Thank you! That was really insightful.
I never thought of getting a dog chain.

My father got a 9-section chain whip. I tried it out but it killed my hand it was so heavy. And just swinging it around could hurt you. I don't think I;m that advanced yet to use "loose" weapons but I think I'll handle a dog chain.

My father also said he was attacked by a dog once. Just grab the back of it's teeth...like it's molder and it should let go. But right when you let go it will most likely come back at you.

Here in NY double sided blades are illgeal so is hidden weapons...I don't know in the Wild West if it is illgeal.:confused:

Losttrak
02-27-2004, 09:23 AM
I will have my conceal and carry in about a months time... til then just a knife. Aint Texas great? =D

CaptinPickAxe
03-06-2004, 03:38 PM
I carry a baseball bat with a gutter nail through it... I call it the crowd pleaser.

Radhnoti
03-06-2004, 05:20 PM
I thought this was a good point:

freehand - "Most of us are more likely to run afoul of the law than of bandits, so keep in mind how it would look if you had a conversation with the police."

Odin of Wei
03-08-2004, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
I carry a baseball bat with a gutter nail through it... I call it the crowd pleaser.
Not to covert but oook... ;)

What do you mean by the "Crowd Pleaser"?

Originally posted by Radhnoti
I thought this was a good point:

freehand - "Most of us are more likely to run afoul of the law than of bandits, so keep in mind how it would look if you had a conversation with the police."
Yes, one of the Black Sashes at my school said that he rather be unarmed because it's easier to fight like that.

But with 20 guys with arms? ....Good luck...

Anthracis
03-08-2004, 11:03 AM
First of all, if there are ten armed assailants, just run don't be a dead hero. Second, the easiest weapons to locate usually are staff type weapons on the street. Sticks are found or are easiliy located. However, the best weapons to use are the ones that area already on you. For example, house keys can be placed between fingers and used as a weapon, a cane can be used as a weapon, a magazine rolled up can be used as a weapon, pretty much anything can be used as a weapon as long as there is a competent practitioner using them. The mind is the most dangerous weapon of all. USE IT!! But against 10 armed assailants, I say RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!

Tak
03-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Odin of Wei
My father also said he was attacked by a dog once. Just grab the back of it's teeth...like it's molder and it should let go. But right when you let go it will most likely come back at you. I've been attacked by many dogs. The good thing about a dog is that it only has one part you have to watch out for - the mouth. So, when it tries to bite you, you can grab the back of the neck (usually plenty of loose skin there), control the head, and if you need to control the body, something like a chokehold can be applied from that point. If there's more than one big dog, though, then it's time for weapons...

On a related note, while a 100-lb dog can be scary enough, can you imagine being attacked by a 100-lb cat, like a cougar or leopard? Same vicious mouth plus 4 sets of claws and extraordinary leaping and agility.

freehand
03-13-2004, 03:21 PM

Yep. Adidas are my first line of defense. I always wear shoes I am comfortable fighting. climbing, or running in. I am short and have a heavy frame, so I like the loose jeans so readily available nowadays. But those of you into gangsta fashion might want to reconsider wearing pants that won't stay up on their own (if any of you martial artists are so foolish).

I'm in good shape, but I won't be able to outrun 10 young guys for long, some of them are bound to be long-legged sprinters. But a brief sprint of 3 meters or so might string them out a bit - run, turn, dump one fast (e.g. side kick to knee) scoot to one side of the second fastest attacker, side kick his shin, and when his hands drop stab him in the eye with your geek pen. Rinse. lather, repeat. I've heard of success by attacking the toughest-looking one and putting him down in a spectacularly gory manner. I wouldn't want to depend on this, but you may not have a choice.

Look for environmental weapons as you run and/or fight - trash cans lids, for example. The environment itself is a weapon, to which you must bring your attacker. Chin na or a leg reap into a fire hydrant will reduce your ten attackers to nine.

But by all means, if you have a head start or are a fast runner, run.

Liokault
03-14-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Anthracis
a magazine rolled up can be used as a weapon, pretty much anything can be used as a weapon

Yes, the magazine is rolled up tight, you then tap the first knife weilding assaliant on the head with it whilst saying in a clear athorotarian voice "NO....BAD MUGGER NO".

This should make your attacker rethink his actions.....repeat 9 times (once per killer).

Anthracis
03-14-2004, 02:49 PM
any weapon is better than no weapon at all against armed attackers. The best thing to do is to avoid the situation but if you can't, use whatever is available. You have obviously never been hit with a tightly rolled up magazine by a person who is trained well at using ordinary items as weapons. With that same tightly rolled up magazine, I could make you cry. It is not the weapon or the art, it is the practitioner of the art that is important. Keep that in mind before experiencing diarrhea of the mouth.

Ren Blade
03-15-2004, 10:58 AM
Or wear metal armor that has spikes all over it before you leave the house. So you'll be a walking porcupine. :p

Liokault
03-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Anthracis
With that same tightly rolled up magazine, I could make you cry. It is not the weapon or the art, it is the practitioner of the art that is important. Keep that in mind before experiencing diarrhea of the mouth.

LOL Hmmmm, 9 posts! I would guess that your new to martial arts forums.

Anthracis
03-15-2004, 02:11 PM
I like to read threads that are already here because they answer pretty much all the questions that I have. Also, like I said, I dont like diarrhea of the mouth (or fingers in this case). I try and refrain from taking up space on the board making fun of others. I try to act in an adult and professional matter about topics that are important to me or may be important to others. Some things that you may find amusing may not be so amusing to others. Sensitivity is important or people who have questions might not post because they may be afraid people like you are going to make fun of them. Anyway, I am almost dehydrated (the smart ones will get this joke) so I better stop. I do lack the sense of humor sometimes though. Anyways, have a good one!

Odin of Wei
03-31-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Ren Blade
Or wear metal armor that has spikes all over it before you leave the house. So you'll be a walking porcupine. :p
You watch too many movies.

Anyone know of the Fairbank's British Commando knife?

What do you all think of it?

apoweyn
04-16-2004, 10:53 AM
I own one. But only as an interesting antique.

Here's the thing: Never draw or even carry a weapon you're not prepared to use. And only you (if anyone) can say whether you're prepared to cut or stab someone with a knife. Honestly, how much serious thought have you given that idea? (I'm not saying you haven't. I'm just asking.)

Meat Shake
04-16-2004, 11:15 AM
I carry a columbia river double locking 4" combat blade.
Id never pull it, unless someone else pulled a knife first. The idea of having to cut someone disgusts me, but it stands as a possible reality.
I really like the knife Ive got right now, its quick to open, the blade has kept a great edge, and I love the fact that it has a double locking mechanism. (I had a blade close on my hand when I was about 5 years old)

MatT3T4
04-16-2004, 11:38 AM
My first weapon is common sense, and I use that to keep me away from places where an attack is more likely.

Besides that, I really do not carry any weapons. I bought my girlfriend a stun gun, though...I kinda want to try it out on myself...just to see what it feels like. :o

I've never carried a gun on my person, but I sometimes keep one of my Glocks in my car, locked up, carried legally. CA sucks, it's the most anti-gun state in America. I have, on one occasion, carried it loaded, and on my lap...but I had a really good reason, and it stopped two things from happening: me getting shot, and a car jacking (both of these were unrelated too...welcome to LA).

I carry a pocket knife at work, though. I don't ever anticipate using it in a defensive manner, though. I am an EMT, and it is mostly for cutting seatbelts or clothing. Sometimes when I carry around my martial arts bag in my car, I'll have two sets of wooden nunchakus in there, and maybe my sai.

Odin of Wei
04-27-2004, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by apoweyn
I own one. But only as an interesting antique.

Here's the thing: Never draw or even carry a weapon you're not prepared to use. And only you (if anyone) can say whether you're prepared to cut or stab someone with a knife. Honestly, how much serious thought have you given that idea? (I'm not saying you haven't. I'm just asking.)
None at all...I don't even have a knife.

Unless you count the most advance swiss army knife with like what?....22 functions?

I barely use for anything...it's collecting dust right now. And I got it when I was 10.