PDA

View Full Version : Spent a day at Ken Chung Seminar

wingchunner
02-26-2004, 10:57 AM
He's got to be the best in the world. My teacher thinks so, too. We got over 400 pics of him. Ken doesn't really pose, so quite a few I took just before or after he applied techniques. I'll let you all know when they're up.

Have a great day!

Marty

John Weiland
02-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by wingchunner
He's got to be the best in the world. My teacher thinks so, too. We got over 400 pics of him. Ken doesn't really pose, so quite a few I took just before or after he applied techniques. I'll let you all know when they're up.

Have a great day!

Marty
Hi Marty,

Sure, go ahead and gloat. :D Your gain is our loss back here in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'll look forward to seeing Ken on his return Saturday. :D

Why don't you tell us what sorts of things he taught you in the seminar? What'd you learn personally?

Regards,

Atleastimnotyou
02-26-2004, 01:29 PM
Well for me seeing him has recharged my enthusiasm for wing chun. I have a clearer picture as to the importance of consistancy in training, and i saw how i can be more precise.

yuanfen
02-26-2004, 01:46 PM
"and i saw how i can be more precise."

-------------------------
in what way? care to elaborate?

John Weiland
02-26-2004, 02:58 PM
The last two times I saw Ken Chung, here are some of the corrections Ken made to my position on the jong and some random additional observations, not addressed specifically to me:

Activate the lateral ligament in the elbow in dai bong (low bong sau) by finding the proper position of the elbow which is related to hand position with the proper forearm rotation.

Wrap up in gan sau to a tightly knitted position.

In the 20 hands, elbow is in, never far away, shoulder is down, elbow rocks forward. The hand not in contact is still focused on the center of the jong.

Against a boxer, you might collapse the rear hand while pulling down on the forward hand.

You're not coming in, you're dropping in.

If the hands are even, go. If you can't go, bring the hands down.

The key to the 40 hands on the jong (to what is being taught/learned) is turning as one unit---knees and elbows together.

Po Pai to connect, not to push away.

Po pai---embracing. Po--embracing the tree trunk.

Don't rush. Timing is no rush. Ken always says the jong will wait for you.

The point of Wing Chun is striking, not controlling---that just happens.

Take the escalator, not the elevator. Your horse should sink and go forward.

Elbow and long-lasting energy.

Come into contact and place it there. We don't demonstrate how we hit, we demonstrate how we place.

Why use only one limb when you have three limbs available?

Sil Lim Tao---not big idea; small idea!

Just my 2 cents. Not intended to hijack the thread, but just to give it some additional content.

Regards,

sigmus
02-26-2004, 04:04 PM
Wingchunner, how have you determined that Ken Chung is the
best in the world? There are a lot of good sifus out there.
Curious to know how you arrived at this conclusion.

John Weiland
02-26-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by sigmus
Wingchunner, how have you determined that Ken Chung is the
best in the world? There are a lot of good sifus out there.
Curious to know how you arrived at this conclusion.
Curious to know how you arrived at your conclusion that there are lots of good sifus out there? I know of a few, but lots!?! LOL! Likely not the case. What's the definition of good in your mind? 90% of the students here think their teachers are in the top 1%.

I'm sure you didn't mean to troll, but some who don't know you might think that's what you're doing because of what you wrote and how you worded your post. That and the fact that you choose anonymity. Who are you and who is your teacher?

Regards,

sigmus
02-26-2004, 06:35 PM
john weiland

It just doesn"t seem possible to me that anyone can determine
who the best wing chun person is. Just wondered why this claim
was made. No offense intended.

Atleastimnotyou
02-26-2004, 08:45 PM
sigmus- that is his opinion and he is entitled to it.

Joy-
nothing special. i just saw what he did during certain situations/movements, and compared it to what i did. and i realized what i should do differently. for example smaller, more refined movements. like during the form or chi sao