PDA

View Full Version : ot: should i buy a 2001 grand am for 11k

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-26-2004, 03:34 PM
sorry to post some **** like this on here, but it's eating me up.

i was just about dead set on a 97 civic for 6k until some ******* got me behind the wheel of this car.

its a 2001 black grand am gt with 42k miles. ****ing thing looks perfect inside and out .... power everything, cd and tape (i like cars with tape players so i still have a way to listen to all my old death metal), dash lights up red, v6 3.4.

i might be able to get him down to around 10 with title and everything.

so my question is would i be stupid to do this? i am getting ready to buy a house this summer, but the car would be the only debt i have. i have to buy something anyway but i was trying to keep it under 6 or 7 k.

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-26-2004, 03:39 PM
it looks exactly like this but 4 door (http://www.ovauto.com/images/PHOTO/LYL358.jpg)

joedoe
02-26-2004, 04:07 PM
Depends on what is more important to you, and how much the difference in price is going to make to your home purchase. My opinion is that a car is simply a way to get from A to B, while a house is an investment. A Civic will transport you just as well as a Grand Am will. However, if you appreciate a good car better than I do, then I can understand why you might want to blow the extra $ on a nicer car.

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-26-2004, 04:11 PM
i normally dont ... it's just that i drove it ... god how i wish i never drove it.

joedoe
02-26-2004, 04:16 PM
Well, having just recently bought a house my advice to you is to save as many $ as you can before you buy. Put it this way, I bought a new car almost 2 years ago now, and I kinda regret it because I keep thinking I could have put that money towards the house, then I wouldn't be paying all that extra interest. Kinda silly, but that is the way I see things.

If it makes you feel any better, I find the feeling of being in my own house better than any feeling I have ever gotten out of a car :D

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-26-2004, 04:18 PM
its funny because that's how i saw any car payment whatsoever.

i started out looking at 3k and under!

joedoe
02-26-2004, 04:30 PM
I guess the car I had at the time was starting to cost me a lot of money to keep running so I was planning to ditch it anyway. In hindsight I should have bought a second-hand car and saved my money, but I went and bought a nice new car. It is an excellent car and I am thoroughly happy with it (lots of fun to drive) but I keep thinking that if I had saved the extra couple of grand it would have meant less money I had to borrow to buy the house.

However, in your case it is a difference of $5K, and if you really like the car then I would say get it - you only live once :)

norther practitioner
02-26-2004, 05:42 PM
5k over 20-30 years... that interest adds up quick.... and a honda might last longer than your house.

joedoe
02-26-2004, 05:58 PM
Sure it does, but my point is that you have to live a life as well as pay off your house. If there is something out there that you really want then the is difference of $5k really that bad? If you take that approach with every potential purchase, then all you are ever going to spend your money on is food, clothing, and your home loan. :)

norther practitioner
02-26-2004, 06:01 PM
I'm just saying... a civic ain't that bad... but I mostly agree with you... hold on the phone is ringing...

Ok back, didn't pick up.. another bill collector.

IronFist
02-26-2004, 06:19 PM
Kelley Blue Book (http://www.kbb.com)

Edmunds (http://www.edmunds.com)

^ Those will answer your questions.

Royal Dragon
02-26-2004, 06:29 PM
I just bought a 90 IROC. It's quick as all hell (Not fast by my standards, but quick), It handles great, and it's a total Chick magnet to any woman my age.

I paid $1400 for it. All it needs is some paint work (And I work in a Body shop office :D )

joedoe
02-26-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
I'm just saying... a civic ain't that bad... but I mostly agree with you... hold on the phone is ringing...

Ok back, didn't pick up.. another bill collector.

Funny thing is that personally, I would go with the Civic too :)

rogue
02-26-2004, 07:37 PM
This is what you want... (http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/concept/s197/)

Right now I'm talking to some rich weird popstar who wants my kids to sleep over his house. He has an amusement park and the lawsuit I toss at him will pay for this bit of heaven (http://www.fordvehicles.com/fordgt/home.asp?bhcp=1).

planetwc
02-26-2004, 08:07 PM
You have a mullet AND

it has an 8 Track tape.
:D

Shaolinlueb
02-26-2004, 09:04 PM
the 97 civic is more relaiable and gets ebtter gas mileage then the grand am's. i would go civic. i dont like american cars that much.

Toby
02-26-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
... so i still have a way to listen to all my old death metal ... Obituary, Morbid Angel, Entombed, Napalm Death, Brutal Truth, Boltthrower, Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, .... Still listen to them from time to time. Best Music Genre Ever.

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-26-2004, 10:49 PM
you named most of my favorate bands. in fact the only that i can add off of the top of my head are carcass, suffocation, sepultura, nocturnus, and unleashed.

you'll get along very well with iron fist and xebby.

on the car i ended up finding a 94 black jetta for about 3k after i trade in my broken car. i said ****in a.

IronFist
02-27-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
you'll get along very well with iron fist and xebby.

Hell yeah! Rock on.

GDA did you look up the value of the car on those sites I listed?

Toby
02-27-2004, 12:57 AM
Mm-hm. 'Cept I wouldn't have called Sepultura death metal. Purely old-school for me. I went from Iron Maiden up to 7th Son ... to Metallica who were getting better and better until the godawful decline started with the black album ((love And Justice ... - technical perfection). Then on to Slayer esp. the brilliance of Reign in Blood and South of Heaven, then Sepultura, Pantera, Machine Head etc then the various death metal bands for a few years. In the end I stopped listening purely because no-one else would let me put stuff on. The onset of grunge saved me because my friends would listen to that. Nirvana, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins (Siamese Dream in my car's CD stack now), Alice in Chains, etc. Also loved a particular Infectious Grooves album - Groove Family Cyco. Hmm, Primus too. Lots of others, my short term memory loss prevents me from naming. Bit of Beastie Boys, some early Run DMC, Cypress Hill's Black Sunday, Rage Against the Machine, etc.

IronFist
02-27-2004, 01:52 AM
Alice in Chains is awesome. They were grunge back before grunge became crappy.

I don't like Cannibal Corpse much, tho.

I really hate "nu-metal" crap where the songs are 4 power chords that are repeated over and over for the whole song, with a slight variation of it for the chorus. Oops, I just gave away the secret formula for writing a Staind song.

Does anyone study music theory anymore? What happened to guitar solos? Oh yeah, that's right, when your band gets licensed after you've been playing guitar for only 6 months, and thus all you know is power chords, you don't learn enough to know how to construct a solo. Modes? What are those? Lydian? Phyrigian? Are those cities in Greece?

My favorite style of metal is progressive metal. Dream Theater, Symphony X, etc. And I like a lot of dark metal, too, but not TOO dark; there still has to be some level of technical proficiency. And I don't like very many death vocals. But I love Soilwork (most of their stuff, at least), Nightwish, Children of Bodom, In Flames, etc.

Yeah us and our good taste in music :D

That's not to say I never listen to Linkin Park, tho.

Toby
02-27-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
That's not to say I never listen to Linkin Park, tho. Nooooooooooooooo.........

Toby
02-27-2004, 02:08 AM
Alice in Chains is awesome. They were grunge back before grunge became crappy.
Yeah, I was working cutting diamond drill core with a diamond rock saw. Nightshift, alone, noisy, wet, boring. A guy lent me his tape with Jane's Addiction's Ritual De Lo Habitual on one side (another favourite) and a band I hadn't heard of on the other - Alice in Chain's Facelift. I listened to Facelift for 10 hours straight. Also liked Dirt, but wasn't into much of the later stuff. Shame Layne was so ****ed up.

scotty1
02-27-2004, 06:37 AM
"That's not to say I never listen to Linkin Park, tho"

Aiiieee!!

Nu-metal before it was patented and called Nu-Metal was actually pretty good. I'm talking about the first Limp Bizkit album and the first Korn album pretty much. Ever heard Snot? They were better than their name lol. Their singer Lynn Strait died in a car crash.

Yeah I admit it all went wank pretty quick but for a while it was the coolest thing on earth. Deftones are the only band from that scene to still be any good.

If you like metal and stuff have you heard Slayer's 'Undisputed Attitude'? Its them covering all 80s hardcore punk stuff, and its amazing. Man I love Slayer. They just get better with age.

David Jamieson
02-27-2004, 07:03 AM
Your favourite band sucks.

that's my favourite t-shirt. :D

buy the pontiac already gda! don't let it eat you up, go with your instinct and get the car, to hell with the filthy lucre anyway, you can't take it with you and all that and if you thoroughly enjoy the danged machination, then live it up and get it.

cheers

MasterKiller
02-27-2004, 08:14 AM
I wouldn't buy anything Pontiac. C'mon....no resale value whatsoever. Honda will retain it's value a heck of a lot more, and if you ever need to trade it in, you'll get a lot more for it, even if it's not in better shape than the Pontiac.

I drive a 96 Nissan Pickup, and my wife has a 2001 Honda CR-V. Neither one has even been in the shop.

Mutant
02-27-2004, 10:38 AM
naaa don't buy the grande am, its a gimmiky p.o.s.
you'd be better off w/ the civic. then install a nitros oxide kit on it if you want a little bit of performance.
but i think youre going about this all wrong... you should be shopping for something much faster than those cars.

somehow i can just picture royal dragon cruisin around in an 90 IROC, hehe.

FatherDog
02-27-2004, 03:43 PM

My favorite style of metal is progressive metal. Dream Theater, Symphony X, etc.

You should totally check out Rhapsody and Luca Turilli.

Nightwish,

You know they're touring the US again this summer, right? I've got tickets for the Philly show in August :D

GDA -

Work out how much the monthly payments would be for the 6k car, and how much for the 10k car. Then work out how much you're probably going to be paying monthly on your house, with mortgage and loans and stuff. Take a look at both totals and see if one of 'em's too expensive, given your monthly paycheck and food bills.

rogue
02-27-2004, 06:56 PM
on the car i ended up finding a 94 black jetta for about 3k after i trade in my broken car. i said ****in a.

You didn't buy a car you've bought a lifestyle. I've owned many a VW and enjoyed many an afternoon working on 'em.

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-27-2004, 08:17 PM
rouge ....

You didn't buy a car you've bought a lifestyle. I've owned many a VW and enjoyed many an afternoon working on 'em.

well **** i heard they were good cars .... what happened to yours?

Xebsball
02-27-2004, 08:20 PM
GDA rules

im feeling stupid cos there was this stuff from Cathedral that was focking awesome, now i cant remember the songs name to donwload it, im pizssed off

Indestructible
02-27-2004, 10:59 PM
King Diamond ROCKS!!!!!!:mad:

IronFist
02-28-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by FatherDog
You should totally check out Rhapsody and Luca Turilli.

I think I will. I just bought Dream Theater's Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From a Memory today. It's pretty awesome. I'm very familiar with the song Metropolis, so I can hear all the influences from it mixed in with this whole album.

You know they're touring the US again this summer, right? I've got tickets for the Philly show in August :D

I did not know that. Have you seen any of their DVD's? I've heard they're pretty good.

IronFist
02-28-2004, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Indestructible
King Diamond ROCKS!!!!!!:mad:

I have one of his CD's. I'm not crazy about the vocals, but the guitar is pretty good :)

FatherDog
02-28-2004, 03:10 AM

I think I will. I just bought Dream Theater's Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From a Memory today. It's pretty awesome. I'm very familiar with the song Metropolis, so I can hear all the influences from it mixed in with this whole album.

I'm hep to Dream Theatre. Need to get more of their stuff.

Have you seen any of their DVD's? I've heard they're pretty good.

Nah; I have all their CDs, but no DVDs yet. A couple friends of mine caught their last concert in New York, though, and they said it was awesome.

IronFist
02-28-2004, 11:41 AM
FatherDog, have you ever heard Lacuna Coil? Some of their stuff is ok, but some of it is awesome. They're from Italy and have a female singer, as well.

FatherDog
02-28-2004, 03:30 PM
FatherDog, have you ever heard Lacuna Coil? Some of their stuff is ok, but some of it is awesome. They're from Italy and have a female singer, as well.

I have a bunch of mp3s, but I haven't bought any of their albums yet. Like you said, it's kinda hit or miss. I'm trying to figure out if one of their albums has more of a concentration of songs I liked.

IronFist
02-28-2004, 03:39 PM
Check out Sonata Arctica that I mentioned in another thread.

Um, let's see... Soilwork has some rad stuff, but some of it is pretty "miss," too.

In Flames

Skyfire

IronFist
02-28-2004, 03:40 PM
We should start our own thread, "the Metal Thread." I'd start it but I'm leaving until tomorrow right now. If it hasn't been started by the time I get back, maybe I'll start it then.