PDA

View Full Version : True stories...

Gangsterfist
02-27-2004, 09:14 AM
How many of you have had challenge matches, or have had someone come in and challenge you? Did you accept the challenge? Did you fight them? Please share your stories.

There are some people out there in my area challenging people to test their skills. Its only a matter of time before they come around us and challenge us. I would not challenge them, but from what I hear they are pretty consistant on getting you to accept their challenge.

Losttrak
02-27-2004, 09:20 AM
http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=27891

Gangsterfist
02-27-2004, 09:23 AM
Yeah I saw that thread, but this is kind of a stricktly wing chun thing. The people challenging others in my area practice wing chun. I am not sure of their intentions but have heard of them.

azwingchun
02-27-2004, 09:52 AM
I had one several years ago, actually several events took place....though I am not sure they were from the same person.
One late evening, actually around 2:00 am I had a message on my voicemail stating that I was no good and they were challenging me to a full contact no rules fight. This went on for about 2 weeks. Then one day in my class a man walked in and said that he had been studying Shaolin for 30 years and wanted to fight me. I politely told him that I was in the middle of class and wouldn't do so. But he was more than welcomed to stay and watch and then discuss class after it was over. He agreed.
Then after class I walked over to him and tried to speak with him. He insisted that I was going to fight him so he could prove I was no good. I again told him I was not going to fight, he asked what I would do if he hit me? I told him that then I would be forced to defend myself. He just shook his head and said that he would come back for me later. He never did!!!! ;)

Nick Forrer
02-27-2004, 09:55 AM
I havent had any challenge matches per se

I sometimes get people 'testing' me out when they find out i do martial arts (they are always drunk when this happens for some reason). I usually ignore them to the point at which its no longer possible to any more and then if they persist i do just enough to show them i could really hurt them if i wanted to. I went too far one time though and threw a guy over a table at a party just by stepping into him with my stance and pushing him back by the jaw. He looked a bit traumatised afterwards.

Ill say this much though- The only time i've used WC in anger it didn't let me down.

Also my training partner had a challenge match with a thai boxer once (they were both quite ****ed at the time) and anhillated him.

Sonic
02-27-2004, 11:44 AM
In 1997 I studied TWC under Blaine Collins Sifu. Some of his top students use to go to other schools and tell them that their system did not work, and then they would prove it. Collins Sifu, no longer has his school, but I hear he still teaches his top students.

Gangsterfist
03-02-2004, 08:42 AM
I know my sifu has been personally challenged, but he won't really talk about it. He, being a buddhist, just kind of laughed off the challenge.

Its funny how some wing chunners get all fired up about certain things, and have to prove their points with fighting. I guess every system has people like that, but I notice it wing chun here and there every now and again.

Nick Forrer
03-02-2004, 09:47 AM
EC

'quite the opposite of what usually happens'

That'll be the WSL method :D

Apparently the guy couldnt stop any of his punches, so he grabbed my friends hands in desperation. So my friend used quan sau to break the grip and then head butted him:eek:

Nick Forrer
03-02-2004, 12:10 PM
Oh yes
It doesnt work so well if you're blind drunk though as he found out last weekend against 5 rugby players:mad:

Ernie
03-02-2004, 12:56 PM
hey nick
head butts , elbows, knees , bites what ever it takes , wsl system never be a slave , use what you got and what is most effecient at that time . every thing is not allways a punch , often you need to create space and time or position to fire from . ha ha ha glad to see your keeping up the tradition :)

i have had some of my best wing chun moments in semi drunken moments :D

Ultimatewingchun
03-02-2004, 01:29 PM
When his hands were grabbed (and assuming he couldn't free them any time soon using wing chun "grab-escape techniques")...it was time to GRAPPLE...because head butts are a two-edged sword...can easily hurt you as much as your adversary.

What do you guys say ?

Ernie
03-02-2004, 01:43 PM
victor
i was taught head butts in the filipino system were it is a very common tool and like any tool there is a proper way to use it . if your just swinging your head at some one then it's pure gamble but if you have the feeling and skills to set it up and deliver it then it's a functunal tool . i would trade 10 punches for one weel place head butt . i have seen alot of cats that can take a punch and just get angry , but i have yet to see some one walk away from a well placed head but to the grill .
recently one of my friends training partners got 6 years in jail , he was in a bar fight and he head butted someone and put the guy in the hospital with permenat facial damage , collapsed a whole section og the dudes face .

Ultimatewingchun
03-02-2004, 01:58 PM
Ernie:

Wow...Sounds Like your friend's training partner knows how to headbutt, alright...it took many months for the headaches and the exterior pain to go away...

I'm definitely gun-shy about using headbutts.

You friend's partner must have butted very hard to do that kind of damage - Did he suffer any adverse consequences himself ? I mean anything that lingered ?

Ultimatewingchun
03-02-2004, 02:01 PM
Ernie:

Wow...Sounds Like your friend's training partner knows how to headbutt, alright.

As someone who had a concussion as a result of a fight as I was once in - (it took many months for the headaches and the exterior pain to go away)...

I'm definitely gun-shy about using headbutts.

You friend's partner must have butted very hard to do that kind of damage - Did he suffer any adverse consequences himself ? I mean anything that lingered ?

Nick Forrer
03-02-2004, 02:07 PM
Hi guys
First off
Ernie: im working on those notes. Sit tight my man.

Second: Personally I prefer to use the downward hacking elbow from bil gee if someone grabs both my wrists. I have have yet to meet anyone who can still hold on to your arms when you do this and i make a point of trying it out on the biggest guys i can find. However as Samo says in Prodigal son 'Use whatever works' If their head is the nearest target and your head is the nearest weapon do it!! I find if their attention is on what their hands are doing then they will not be expecting a Glaswegian kiss (This is what they call a butt in Scotland where the natives have perfected it over the years):p

Gangsterfist
03-02-2004, 02:11 PM
I think that perhaps wing chun sees a head butt as a last ditch effort and stresses more towards using your legs and arms (iron bridges).

A good head butt will do great damage, but so will a good elbow, knee, or even punch for that matter.

One of my kung fu brothers was friends with this girl who took some type of Japanese karate. I have no idea what kind it was. But one night she saved her boy friend from getting jumped at a bar, when she hit the guy in the chest she collapsed all his ribs from one punch. She put the guy in the hospital and he was really badly hurt. She faced criminal charges for severly hurting him, but in the end I think she got away with it. I will have to ask him sometime and find out specifics of the outcome. She was only like 5'5" and a 115lbs too. The guy she hit was like 6foot.

I want to say one of his lungs collapsed from the ribs being broken into it. Sometimes you just get that hit in that can be mortally wounding.

Ernie
03-02-2004, 02:12 PM
as long as you use the crown [ hard part of your skull ] and you hit the soft area of the face . you won't do any damage to yourself , and you don't swing your head you jut it in and fire from your lats and legs , like a pistion from low to high . i was training with vunak once and he actually broke a motorcycle helmet with a bare head butt like nothing didn't even phase him .
there is a whole type of chi sau off the neck and clinch in dumog were you refine the sensitivity to fire off the head butt. but like anything it takes allot of practice

Ernie
03-02-2004, 02:25 PM
nick can't wait man:)

g fist didn't mean to high jack and turn this into the [[[ hidden art of headbutts]] thread
i'll tap out and let it go back on course