PDA

View Full Version : Acupressure

Shaolindynasty
06-02-2001, 11:33 PM
I recently have concluded my acupreesure class and was wondering something and thought somebody might be able to help. In our class we learned to tonify the point by using a pumping motion and to sedate or dispearse by appling steady pressure. My question is that I have been reading different books and some say to use the method described above and others say the opposite. Anyone with acupressure expirence out there could you tell me which method you use?

Witness the Dynasty!!!
www.shaolindynasty.itgo.com (http://www.shaolindynasty.itgo.com)

Fish of Fury
06-03-2001, 02:19 AM
i'm no expert on acupressure, but...
we use a clockwise circling motion to tonify or "inject" energy, and an anticlockwise motion to draw or disperse. these are also done with intention ie. mental focus involved with the technique

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I never drive faster than i can see...other than that...it's all in the reflexes" Jack Burton

Shaolindynasty
06-05-2001, 05:00 AM
Sounds similar to acupuncture. I have also heard of this method. I guess they are all means to acheive the same goal.

Witness the Dynasty!!!
www.shaolindynasty.itgo.com (http://www.shaolindynasty.itgo.com)

walkthecircle
06-08-2001, 02:03 AM
some forms of shiatsu use the tonify and sedate motions mentioned above.

BUT the real question is why to use and when to use?

The danger of reading many books is that you get a watered down version of the art.

You need to learn one complete way (style) to address the cleints condition and formulate a plan of treatment. if you keep reading from book to book to book you'll never become skilled at assessment (sp?) and treatment. Because each book will "attack" the problem from a differnt theory of HOW TO treat the body.

The healing arts are just like kung fu. Hard to find a good teacher. ALSO a life time of study to master.

ALSO there are SOOOOOooo many "teachers" of the healing arts out there it's sick. After taking a workshop people think they know the art and start teaching...beware of these people. Much like what is happening in Tai chi and other internal arts.

After 3 years of searching i've found my teacher of shiatsu.