PDA

View Full Version : Did ykm's internal forms come from Wu style tai chi?

phantom
02-27-2004, 11:43 AM
I think I read sonewhere that Ykm's internal forms were either derived from or influenced by Wu style tai chi. Is this true? Thanks in advance.

Just a Guy
02-27-2004, 12:35 PM
Hi Phantom,

Where did you read this?

I'm sure a YKM stylist will respond with some details, but I'm curious where you might have read, or heard, this?

Thanks ;)

phantom
02-27-2004, 12:48 PM
I read it on another kung fu discussion board like this one, but I cannot remember exactly which one.

TAO YIN
02-28-2004, 01:05 AM
Phantom,

Excellent question. Yau Kung Mun's "Sup Baat Seurng Toy Jeurng" gained creation during the Tang Dynasty from a Henan Temple Abbot named Ding Yang. From approximately 1918-1924, Tiat Yun, the last Shaolin Monk known to have inherited these exercises, passed his knowledge of these meditations to layman Ha Hon Hung. After much study, Ha Hon Hung inherited this system from Tiat Yan. In 1924, Monk Tiat Yun gave Ha Hon Hung the authority to teach these exercises to the public. From this act of recognition, Yau Kung Mun was immediately founded by Ha Hon Hung. Aside from studying with Monk Tiat Yun, Ha Hon Hung had also studied many styles of kung fu such as Choy Li Fut, Hung Gar, and Bak Mei. Ha Hon Hung had also studied for some time at the Jung Lam Shi Temple, as well as a few other well known temples.

Ha Hon Hung taught his son Ha Kwok Cheung the complete system of these Buddhist exercises. After Ha Hon Hung's passing in 1962, Ha Kwok Cheung followed a reknowned Wu Style Tai Chi Master for many years. I can't remember the name of this master, but anyways, Ha Kwok Cheung was his disciple.

So in a nutshell, I am sure that Ha Kwok Cheung was definetely influenced by Wu Style Tai Chi since he was the disciple of a Wu Style Teacher. However, the 3 internal forms of Yau Kung Mun are completely in and of themselves. They are the jewels of the system and are strictly guarded. Ha Kwok Cheung has taught Wu style Tai Chi to many people, but he has only taught the 3 internal forms to a select few.

Sorry to go off and ramble as I always do. You really need to ask Fiercest Tiger about this stuff. He has studied with Grandmaster Ha Kwok Cheung for many years, and Ha Kwok Cheung personally taught these internal forms to Fiercest Tiger.

Sincerely,

Tao

blooming lotus
02-28-2004, 01:14 AM
so what exactly he is teaching?...and where is he?

TAO YIN
02-28-2004, 03:11 AM
blooming lotus,

Hello. Ha Kwok Cheung is the Grandmaster of Yau Kung Mun and teaches in Hong Kong. Fiercest Tiger is a Yau Kung Mun Sifu and teaches Yau Kung Mun in Sydney, OZ.

www.yaukungmun.com.au

This is Fiercest Tiger's webiste. I think Ha Kwok Cheung has a website too, but I'm not sure what the addy is.

Happy Weekend!

Tao

fiercest tiger
02-28-2004, 08:13 AM
Tao is right, my sibak is Ha Kwok Cheung in hongkong. He doesnt mix it into ykm or it wasnt developed by wu style either, Chi Kung Is chi kung and there are only so many ways to cultivate chi when doing moves.

So you may see similarities etc!

The internal YKM forms when practised will be as good as an taiji or chi kung for health as well fighting.

FT

blooming lotus
02-28-2004, 04:43 PM
I had no idea that sydney dude existed...he must be pretty well hidden 'cause I searched for ANY decent shaolin based teacher all over Aus..(literally), and only came up with some half as*ed student of dissapointingly, a very reputable monk and master, and a couple of other "not quite there" desciples...there are a few good teachers around the sydney area, but that dude shhould advertise..like in "blitz" magazine or something...

cheers for the link ;)

I may be down hong kong sometime so, I'll keep him in mind and loving my tai ji so I guess I might check it out...

cheers;) :D

fiercest tiger
02-28-2004, 11:19 PM
Blitz mag is too expansive and i rather have a small group of loyal hard training students thats why i dont advertise in mags.

Have you tried choy le fut , bak mei, lung ying here in sydney? If you like to learn those arts i can give you directions and contacts of the bak mei and lung ying. CLF is in chinatown!

FT

blooming lotus
02-29-2004, 01:47 PM
no, I haven't..and you're right ...there's alot of good teaching in the China towns...but when you're not local, it becomes a bit of drama to take risks and just assume you'll find what you're after...I'm on my way out of the country but thanks for the offer anyway;)

joedoe
02-29-2004, 04:01 PM
Blooming Lotus, PM me next time you are in town and we can hook up. :)