PDA

View Full Version : Bagua vs Mantis

blackmantis
02-28-2004, 03:37 AM
Has anyone ever sparred a bagua fighter?
I would be interested to know what it is like to spar and internal fighter... any info?

S

One Finger Zen
02-28-2004, 12:39 PM
hey BM somewhere I heard that the Mantis was supposed to fear the Bagua Palm for some reason. Do you or anyone else reading this know why? Just a little tale I'm curious about.

my best regards BM

One Finger Zen

SCFalken
02-28-2004, 01:40 PM
I thought the Mantis feared the Orkin Man?

Mike

ursa major
02-28-2004, 07:22 PM
Blackmantis,

With all due respect to Bagua, what does it matter whether your sparring partner is an internal or external stylist?

best regards,
UM.

Chinwoo-er
02-29-2004, 11:22 AM
I have learnt and sparred with quite a few paqua people in the past. I have only one word for the experience.

Frustrating.

Really really frustrating.

The fact is, the people who knows what they are doing are always twisting and turning and it is very hard to find a solid force in them. You know now blocking and striking is supposed to produce a "reaction" force on the opponent's body on contact, well, whenever I spar with a Paqua person, this reaction never seem to exist. Their body really is like water. Of which, is really hard to get a good contact. Tai Chi is a bit better. Hsing I better still. But I must say, Paqua is the most frustrating style I have ever fought against (provided that the user is proficient in what they are doing of course)

Tactic recommended. Full out mantis-like rapid assault or Di-tang ground fighting.

ofz, I dont' think there is a reason why mantis should fear paqua. If anything, I think that mantis hands is an exellent weapon against them. That is if you are able to keep them from walking around you. But if you can manage that, my personal experience tells me that the rapid approach of mantis seems to be able to stop them from executing large movements and keep them on the defensive

ShaolinMantis
03-04-2004, 11:20 AM
My suggestion for fighting any style.

1. As stated before fight the person not the style.
2. Spend less time worrying about how mantis will do against...

baquq, tiger, crane, white ebrow, shaolin, Wing chun, Karate, Tae Kun Do, JKD, Kali, 5 animals...etc, etc
put in more time practicing... the rest will take care of itself!

ursa major
03-04-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by ShaolinMantis
...put in more time practicing... the rest will take care of itself!

Well said.

A hundred ou-lao-choi's a day keeps the doctor away.

UM.

mantis108
03-04-2004, 01:23 PM
Here's a link on the KFO internal broad about the applications of Baguazhang.

Baguazhang Applications (http://pressurepointfighting.com/public_html/video/ssdemo.wmv)

These applications here are not particularly complex and I would venture to say that quite a few styles of CMA including Mantis would have them.

If we look at the format that this clip has to offer, we are looking a semi-tied up situation. This would be known as working the pommel (swimming) or going for the clinch phase from a MMA perspective. We would also notice that fewer leg traps are being used while these 2 are working the apps. So the moral here is that if the opponent is mobile, PM footwork should be utilized to the fullest. Actually the body methods should be employed as well. Anyway, the point is Mantis (at least from a TJPM perspective) should seek to uproot or strike the opponent while stick and paste to the opponent. This type of format is great to exercise the 12 keywords (TJPM).

BTW

"A hundred ou-lao-choi's a day keeps the doctor away."

is definitely what the PM doctor would order. ;)

Mantis108