PDA

View Full Version : help me get in shape

greyfox
02-28-2004, 06:17 AM
i don't know what i need to do i am 5'11 ,240 pounds i have jus started to do kungfu again i am gonna try to go 4 times a week
mondays and wendsdays for 2 and a half hours tues and sat for 1 and a half i have a gut now i hate it i only eat like twice a day mostly junk kfc or pasta or something i really need help i wanna get in shape i mostly would like to keep all but 20 pounds and have the rest as muscle. is this possible ? oh yeah i also don't have time or money for the gym but i am gonna buy free weights and stuff so please help me out

KWUsCRD
02-28-2004, 07:52 AM
Jogging, basketball, sit ups, push ups, chin/pull ups, dip sets...

Viper555
02-28-2004, 08:52 AM
One thing that will definitely help is changing your diet. I'll tell you what I did(lost 15 pounds of fat,gained 6 pounds of muscle, and went from 17%BF to 7.5%BF in 2 months). You should lose yours quicker though.

What you want to do is try to lose about 10 pounds at a time. Take the weight that you want to be(10 pounds less then you are at that time)and multiply it by 14.25 That is how many calories you want to take in every day.
For the amount of carbs,proteins, and fats that you can have every day do this:

Carbs:Calories(for the day) x .30 then divide by 4
Protein:Calories x .40 then divide by 4
Fat:Calories x .20 the divide by 9

Follow that until your close to being 10 pounds lighter then drop all that down by 10 more pounds and you should get steady results.

Another thing that will help tremendously is HIIT. You can read about how to do it here:

http://trainforstrength.com/Endurance1.shtml

It's a little over half way down the page.

What kind of results are you wanting to get with your wieghts?

Just let me know if you have any questions and good luck.

Viper555
02-28-2004, 11:22 AM
Actually, since you were only eating twice a day there might be a faster way for you to lose the weight. In the morning before you eat or drink anything weigh yourself(in the nude) and get your waist measurement at your navel. Post them on here and ill set you up a diet plan.

blooming lotus
02-28-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Viper555
you want to do is try to lose about 10 pounds at a time. Take the weight that you want to be(10 pounds less then you are at that time)and multiply it by 14.25 That is how many calories you want to take in every day.
For the amount of carbs,proteins, and fats that you can have every day do this:

Carbs:Calories(for the day) x .30 then divide by 4
Protein:Calories x .40 then divide by 4
Fat:Calories x .20 the divide by 9

LOL...didn't someone say they were led to believe there would be no math :p :D

check this out...

first and very important...do not I repeat do not mix sugar and complex carbs...things like rice, pasta, cereal, bread...and if you can help it avoid these things altogether...get your complex carbs from fresh leafy veg...and avoid sugary fruits...in fact ixnay on the sugar at every opportunity...invest in some equal or sugar alternative, ad get to luvin sugar free jelly, it's a good sweet fix w/no calaories and increases fluid intake;)

there are alot of really tasty fat free alternativs..my daugter is a fiend for foody delights, but she never knows the difference...

on rising have about 100 mls of lemon juice with your morning vitamin...then do a black coffee and/or a green tea ...take a pee and do some cardio, like a quick 1/2 hr walk/jog or aerobics sesh..maybe you'd like to do some pilates, skipping, shadow boxing or similar...

directly post workout, replace your fluids, with something like either an equal sweetened lemon juice with soda water or a "replace" supplement..
first hr post workout : get into a protein shake...don't worry if you're feeling hungry, protein is what makes us feel full...give it about 15 mins...go take a cold shower to tighten up your mscles you just worked and invigorate our body...

after a shower you might like a carb..I highly recommend for yourself not exceeding 20 g of compex carbs per day...egg whites, being all protein are guilt free and will satisfy you...you can mix this with a lil chilli sauce or teriaki sauce, mayo or some leafy salad...occassional oily tuna, grilled fish, chicken or turkey is another good option...

for carbs if your nor satisfied from your leafy produce, go for a handful of rice crackers or weight watchers make really good biscuits for like 3-4 gms of complex carb per serve...maybe even check out some slim bar meal replacements and diy clear leafy soups w/ egg white and herbs..

protein shakes are unlimited and an occassional thermogenic shake is not a bad addition...you can buy a weeks supply of each for $50-70 ish

use stairs wherever possible, and don't be shy to leave the car a fw blocks out and walk instead...

go light on the dairy, except after 3pm...make it fat free if possible, and sip hot and cold beverages through out the day, like gree tea, hot nmd cold, straight water, sweetened or not, and lemon juice w/soda water is a great digetsive aide and metabolism booster.

It's really not difficult if you're interested and prviding you always have a tray of boiled eggs on hand, there's no reason to spend alot of $$$ or suffer hunger...hey they even make fat free ice-cream, so go ahead and through a scoop in your shake, make it on goats milk(another metab booster) and enjoy your new health ;)

greyfox
02-28-2004, 06:57 PM
ok i am feeling yall on the diet tip i want to look ripped darn body fat question how many days a week should i do kungfu among other things and also what is good for working out the back i want to get a tribal tatto thier but i want my backin shape along with my chest and abs and arms and i need more endurance lately when i free spar i run off of the adreniline rush afterwards i am wasted

blooming lotus
02-28-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by greyfox
ok i am feeling yall on the diet tip i want to look ripped darn body fat question how many days a week should i do kungfu

I think as long as you're working our style at least an hour 2 a couple of times a week, should be sweet enough...

among other things

you're right...there's alot more to good kungfu practioner than just form/style work....aim for a lil exercise daily...min...20mins - 1hr

and also what is good for working out the back i want to get a tribal tatto thier but i want my backin shape along with my chest and abs and arms a

1.obviously puh ups are great place start...also lay on your front..hands under chin..raise chest and top abdomin off floor extend/squeeze arms (elbows bent) back as far as is your reach...come in strong..do...50 each time...this will work you chest arms, and upper back..

2.rest with hands undr chin.. legs flat back...extend/squeeze lower back/ lower legs upward...lower slowly...should feel it in your lower back ..add squeezing butt action ;)....do 60

3.sit with legs extended front toes up...arms parrellel out to side...twist twice same direction and breath out ..whoo...whooo....return to centre..repeat other side..push breath down, tummy tight..ribs in... breath down to your lower abdomin.......do 25 each side

4.same seated positon...hands under chin, elbows bent...bottom spine planted...back straight, ribs in..tummy tight..bend side ways so your elbows come maybe half way to the ground...keep both sides of butt cheeks firmly on floor

5.then grab the edge of chair..( while it's on the ground :) )/ stairs / a box....anything with a lil height...palms flat...finger tips facing forward..elbows bent...feet flat in front, spine loose...lower youreslf squeezing through shoulders each rep...go slow...then quick...do 30...work up to 50..then 70 ...then do a few times a day :D

nd i need more endurance lately when i free spar i run off of the adreniline rush afterwards i am wasted

both yoga..of which kungfu is an adapted/modified type version....pilates and walking even...will help you out here...try walking one min...joggging one min etc.. for 20 ish mins...

also, for added stamina...do knee raises...stand with knees slightly bent, raise arms, and quickly pull knee up, like you';re gonna slam someones' head into your knee...as you bring your arms down strongly, add slight twist...do this on each leg minimum 20 times...increase reps as you can manage...

cool...I think for now that 'll cover you....;) ;)

have fun :D

Toby
02-29-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by blooming lotus
after a shower you might like a carb..I highly recommend for yourself not exceeding 20 g of compex carbs per day Nice tips in general BL, but 20g carbs per day would put him into deep ketosis. Don't want to be advising that unless greyfox does his research. I'm gunna be doing a ketogenic diet soon, but I'm reading the (excellent) 350 page book "The Ketogenic Diet" by Lyle McDonald. I want to know what I'm getting myself into, and McDonald's book is very thorough and written for an athlete's viewpoint.

SCFalken
02-29-2004, 08:33 PM
Viper,
How do you figure out how many calories of Fat/Carbs/Protein a given item has? It's usually labelled by Gram, instead, right? Am I missing something?

Thanks

Mike Falken

Toby
02-29-2004, 08:45 PM
Protein has 4 cal/g.
Carbohydrate has 4 cal/g.
Fat has 9 cal/g.

SCFalken
02-29-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Toby
Protein has 4 cal/g.
Carbohydrate has 4 cal/g.
Fat has 9 cal/g.

Gracias, Toby.

Mike

freehand
02-29-2004, 10:54 PM
A very wise man (Covert Bailey) said: "The best exercise is the one you'll do." If you like kung fu, but jogging bores you, do kung fu.

Do not deprive yourself - you won't be able to keep it up forever. But if you like steak, and you like ice cream, buy and eat the steak, and you won't miss the ice cream. Most of the various diet schemes end up restricting calories somewhat and doing some exercise, so of course they work (at least, for as long as you can keep them up). I would suggest living like our ancestors did - and I don't mean nineteenth century farmers; I mean the way people lived for 250,000 years - vigorous exercise, lean meat, lots of fresh fruit and veggies.

If you have energy after your kung fu classes, you might try strength building and endurance work. Building more muscle will not only give you the energy to work out longer (by making it easier to move around), but the muscles burn up the calories. Long slow jogging will get you lean faster, but wind sprints will get you fit faster.

If you cut the calories more than a little bit, you will be fasting. Only lean people can afford to fast - it teaches your body to *conserve calories ("Help! It's a famine! Cut the metabolism!") You want to teach your body to *burn fat, and you do that by using fat to fuel exercise.

Eat better, not less. And don't increase your exercise too much all at once. If you seem to burn out, drop all the extra stuff for a couple of weeks, just do three or so kung fu classes a week, then graduallly raise the amount again.

I had a 5-hour kali seminar yesterday, and just finished a 2-hour class in jujitsu and taiji tonite. I'm 53 and in it for the long run.

blooming lotus
02-29-2004, 11:25 PM
I don't recall anyone saying anything about fasting...In fact, I reccommend eating several times (up to 6 or 8) a day...

as for Keto diets, providing he keeps up fluids and electrolites with the sugar alternative and soda water etc there is no need for this type of plan to be detrimal..even over a long period....but this only my personal experience combined with the textbook knowledge from DIET PRESCRIPTION AND NUTRITION CLASSES ....

What ever folks..I know it works and that there is hardly a more effective way to do it quiclky...take it or leave it..I'm not fussed;) good luck with whatever you decide :cool:

Toby
02-29-2004, 11:34 PM
BL,

I'm not saying keto diets don't work. In fact, I'm trying one myself once I'm prepared for it. Just saying greyfox needs to know what he's getting himself in for. There may be harm in him just cutting to 20g/day carbs without knowing what he's doing or what's happening to his body. E.g. what if he did that for a few days and then went out for a night and drank a lot? Alcoholic ketoacidosis? Dehydration? Or just much more susceptible to alcohol? etc. But I'm sure you know all that, just pointing out that greyfox should know it too before trying it.

blooming lotus
02-29-2004, 11:48 PM
excessive alcohol consumption under any circumstance is going to be at the detriment of your health no matter what freakin eating plan your on:rolleyes:

lol..I'm sure fox's got a lil common sense himself, it's not rocket science, just some healthy eating...

think he'll be ok..and if he's sincerely hungry, I really don't think the guy is gonna sit there fading away to shadow.....I'll give him credit for that much I'm sure

Toby
03-01-2004, 12:12 AM
No, my point was that when in ketosis, your body is potentially much more susceptible to alcohol. Suppose you went out and regularly had 10 generic drinks. Under ketosis, it might take 5 drinks to get the same blood alcohol level as usual. Also, the result of drinking too much alcohol and not eating enough (esp when already in ketosis) could be alcoholic ketoacidosis -> finally death. Obviously an extreme example, but theoretically possible. I realise that excessive alcohol isn't a good thing, but there are times when some of us drink and if someone was unknowingly in ketosis, it might present dangers.

Also, if you're on a keto diet, you don't get as hungry apparently. That's the whole basis of Atkins - you didn't get amount guidelines because they knew that you wouldn't eat excessive calories anyway. Protein and esp fat make you feel full much more than carbs. I know while experimenting for foods for my keto diet I bought 200g of sashimi tuna and salmon a few weeks back. Not being a big sashimi fan, it took me almost an hour to get through it!! :p. In the book I mentioned earlier, there were a bunch of people in the 60s or 70s who went on a liquid protein diet of 300 calories (!) a day. No fats or carbs. They didn't feel hungry, but a bunch of people died.

Anyway, I don't want to argue (again ;)). I said I liked your diet tips and I eat a lot of protein myself. Just pointing out that it looks pretty ketogenic and greyfox should research that before trying it. Oh, yeah, and get yourself a George Foreman grill, greyfox ;).

blooming lotus
03-01-2004, 02:28 AM
ok ...all fair statements...;) :D

carbs are important for so many different reasons..like brain function, and muscle and cellular building, and a healthy nervous system....just don't go crazy is the goal....

greyfox......

..pls don't forget to food...and if you take up a keto plan, get plenty of NON-alcoholic fluid...if you do plan to drink..obvious advice is to first or during, eat something substantial

Toby is right...a search probably wouldn't be such a bad idea...there's alot of information readily available if you don't already have some....

when changing your eating plan, just make sure it's realistic..something you can do over a long period of time without feeling like your in hell....if you're committed...I'm sure you'll be sweet with whatever you come up with

cheers to both of you :cool:

greyfox
03-01-2004, 05:09 AM
don't worry i don't drink nor smoke or use any narcotics at all i don't think i could handle it. will i do drink maybe 3 - 4 times a year but i won't anytime soon new years i drunk have a bottle of vodka straight mind you i never been drunk after that i was in the morning i felt horrible and i vowed never again.

Viper555
03-01-2004, 05:19 AM
I'm not a nutrional expert or anything but I really wouldn't recommend going down to 20 carbs a day IF your going to be lifting weights. I don't remember where exactly but I remember reading that it is bad for your workout. I know whenever I've dipped below 100 carbs a day that my workout goes downhill and I constantly feel tired and drained of energy. I would recommend taking in 125-150 carbs a day if your going to be lifting.

greyfox
03-01-2004, 05:33 AM
k see this is what it is i want to lose and tone my body but right now all i have is free weights and what ever body exercises i can do for the time being maybe 2 months from now i can go to the gym. i am saving for a apartment at the moment and money is tight

ironmantis3
03-01-2004, 08:53 AM
Hi, everyone seems to be covering the basics here so not much really to add. But if you want to do a little personal research here are some good places, www.specialtactics.com these guys are fitness gurus and the info can be applicable at any stage of development. Check back periodically as they have different articles and such. Also they talk of nutrition and various workout programs. Has many links too. Once you get in a good workout frame check out Pavel Tsestouline (spelling?) you'll know the name when you see it. And also take a look at www.mattfurey.com You don't even have to buy anything if you don't want. Just subscribe to the free fitness report and you can learn a lot. He doesn't sell out your email either so don't worry bout that. Usually I get about 2 or 3 reports a week. Later I do plan to buy some of his stuff. I'll post a thread on it when I see the results. The stuff I learned at these places I incorporated into my kungfu training and it has brought nice results. But don't go overboard with some of the stuff from the special forces site untill you're ready for it.

Just remember train smart and stay healthy. My sifu always says "no one knows your body like you do" so really it comes down to you to know your own limits. But work to stretch those limits a little a time.

Stay strong

blooming lotus
03-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Greyfox....I still stick to my reccommendations I gave you earlier...if you want to slim down, this a crazy intense programme for a begginner stage person, and you should not only drop pounds but tone up markedly within a short period...If you're including weights I would probably not suggest going to hard out at the moment,....you're trying to decrease bulk remember...and besides, carbs are buliding blocks for the muscualr tear that happens when we overload during resistence... if you're consuming minimal complex carb..it's probably not the best idea...I'd say stay fast on this regime until your within 5-10 pounds of your ideal weight,.... then pick up your carbs and resistence...2 mths is not a bad amount of time to do it in...

cheers and good luck:p :D

Viper555
03-01-2004, 05:11 PM
If I were you I would go with what BL said and try to lose all the fat before I lifted weights. Trying to gain muscle mass while losing fat will make it harder on you. Just lose the fat then change you diet a bit to deal with the weights. That's probably your best bet.

Toby
03-01-2004, 06:42 PM
Hmm, agree with people re either diet or weights. Trying to do too much at the same time may be hard to keep up in the long run. However, I would do the opposite. Start off with weights for 6 months or so to build muscle mass, then go to a diet to cut fat. Reason? A muscular physique will burn calories more effectively than a sedentary person's physique so the diet will be more effective. Of course, it doesn't have to be weights that you do to get fit. Another link is http://www.trainforstrength.com. Check out the workouts and the HIIT stuff. Still, it doesn't really matter whether you diet first or start exercise first. Both will bring results if you are currently doing nothing.

One last point. If you are a beginner to weights and diet, you will gain muscle mass while losing fat (as opposed to what Viper555 said). However, this only applies to beginner weightlifters, not to people with existing developed muscle mass.

Viper555
03-01-2004, 08:10 PM
I never said he wouldn't lose fat I just said that it wouldn't be as fast as if he were doing diet and cardio. Also GreyFox: Definitely check out the HIIT stuff. That will help you lose fat extremely fast when mixed with a proper diet.

Toby
03-01-2004, 08:21 PM
It's all good. Not trying to argue. Just that you said
Originally posted by Viper555
Trying to gain muscle mass while losing fat will make it harder on you.
Usually that's true. Gaining muscle and losing fat are usually mutually exclusive activities. Unless you're a beginner, when you can put on muscle and lose fat because you've never trained before (or it's been a long time).

Viper555
03-02-2004, 05:00 AM
That's true. I get what your saying now. He still needs to know that that wont work forever though.

greyfox
03-02-2004, 02:12 PM
well i went to class last night and i was exhausted i did the warmups and stuff with full force. as if i was attaking someone then at the end we did 150 side kicks i would have been ok but when we do begginer and intermediate tiger it is a lot of low stances and weight shifting so my legs was done when we got to kicks, let me check out this hiit stuff

blooming lotus
03-02-2004, 03:59 PM
Of course, it doesn't have to be weights that you do to get fit. .

well duh..I'm sorry, but that statement buggs me...weights will NOT get yiufit..they will get you strong...too much muscle is not conducive to a good ma performance and neither is bulk....remember...it's a "smaller mans" art ...

cheers:rolleyes:

Grey Fox...150 side kicks?! :D ...I love that...next time...or at home ...shoot for 300 :D :D :D

Toby
03-02-2004, 07:13 PM
Roflmao!! You got me. Anyway, weights can get you fit, just not the way Iron and I do them :D.

What I meant was "Of course, it doesn't have to be weights that you do to build lean muscle". Body weight exercises will work too (to an extent). My point was increased lean muscle will help him with his dieting. Still, weightlifting, whether for strength or bodybuilding or endurance or whatever will increase the fitness level of an otherwise sedentary person.

Not gunna argue about the weights and (non) bulking issue again ;). If I had a photo of me to post, you'd see although I lift a lot, I'm not muscle-bound.

Good to see you're looking out for me as much as we look out for you, BL :cool:.

IronFist
03-02-2004, 09:58 PM
Ever fought someone who's very skilled and outweighs you by 50lbs?

Viper555
03-03-2004, 04:52 AM
I did in a wrestling match one time. It was fun until he got a hold of me. Then it sucked. A lot.

blooming lotus
03-03-2004, 04:14 PM
ahha...everyone outyways me by 50 lbs:p

when someone's bigger than me, I just figure, it's more of their own bodyweight to use against them.......'specailly since my first move is normally a block then throw or take down...really that should be just about all it take it takes if you can get a good lock/hold on...size doesnt intimidate me in the slightest...

why exactly do you ask?

blooming lotus
03-03-2004, 04:17 PM
ahha...everyone outways me by 50 lbs:p

when someone's bigger than me, I just figure, it's more of their own bodyweight to use against them.......'specially since my first move is normally a block then throw or take down.( or rib roundhouse or rib/ rear shoulder strike)..really that should be just about all it take it takes if you can get a good lock/hold on...size doesnt intimidate me in the slightest...

why exactly do you ask?

Toby
03-03-2004, 07:02 PM
... 'specailly since my first move is normally a block ...
Really? So do you ever open as the aggressor, or do you usually wait for the opponent to strike? Interesting. Could work well as a woman, since men will probably underestimate women in general and rush in expecting the easy victory. Although Iron's question was someone who was very skilled so wouldn't open themselves up unnecessarily.

IronFist
03-03-2004, 10:05 PM
Blooming Lotus, why'd you quote your own post 3 minutes after you posted it?

Anyway, SKILLFUL people who outweigh you by 50lbs are freaking hard to deal with. Can you use all that extra bodyweight against them when they're on top of you pinning you down? And a skillful, larger opponent will not let you upset his balance.

Skill being equal, the bigger (stronger) opponent has the advantage.

And then there's the physical aspect: bigger people are harder to get holds and locks on because there's more of them to put your arms/legs around.

blooming lotus
03-04-2004, 04:23 PM

Really? So do you ever open as the aggressor, or do you usually wait for the opponent to strike? Interesting. Could work well as a woman, since men will probably underestimate women in general and rush in expecting the easy victory. Although Iron's question was someone who was very skilled so wouldn't open themselves up unnecessarily.

now you're feeling me... remember, I have never done comps...so no..I have never opened as aggressor ( in recent yrs anyway;) :D ).....and it is easier not to fight being a woman, 2x for being tiny,...

as for the opening...I'm pretty sharp, I have no doubt if I need it, sincerely..I'll find it ;) :p

IronFist....there's a V ery good reason why I quoted myseld directly after I posted and as soon as I think of it, I'll be happy to share :eek: :D

dude, I am only about 43kgs and dropping right now, I've rarely oin my life gone over 48 and have numerous amounts of times fought huge as*ed tongan and samoan boxers in real situations....even though it's not Ma s such, the dude had fighting skill, if you think youre screwed for being smaller..I guess you will be...trust your technique and you can't go wrong, elite performance is clinical....execute, execute, execute, the technique will take care of itself ...even if they are 450lb and ready to go...

as for them not letting you in their guard, thats' where your speed training comes in, as the little dude, you'll have that...I prefer not to give them the choice...:D

bigger people are EASIER to catch with a throw or trip, after you've redirected their strike...foot hand whatever...that's where skillful ducking and swift manouvers play well ...thewhole idea of kungfu, was to create a system the smaller dude could use effectively top overcome opponents...have a look at ninjitsu and japanese arts..the samurais werethe huge mofos raiding every town and village they came across , just for thefact no-one could do anything about it, then some dudes go..no f*ck this ****...and created ninjitsu to fight back..never had a drama since...trust your art and work your application...that's its purpose ;) :D :p

Toby
03-04-2004, 07:43 PM
dude, I am only about 43kgs and dropping right now, I've rarely oin my life gone over 48
:eek: :eek:
Careful. I hope you're short. That's very tiny. My 4 yr old weighs over 1/3 and will soon be 1/2 of that.

rubthebuddha
03-05-2004, 12:49 AM
aye, bl may be small, but i have a feeling she has arms like hung gar peeps, which is equivalent to saying "she has arms like rebar." that **** hurts.

blooming lotus
03-06-2004, 07:57 PM
:rolleyes:

:cool:

rubthebuddha
03-07-2004, 10:47 PM
don't dance around it, bl. i say rebar. :p

blooming lotus
03-08-2004, 03:43 PM
I say...I have no idea what that is !! but ok....

hey checked out some pics of some hung gar folks...an hate to admit it....so I wont :D ;) .....

...and for those of you who were wonerding......I'm 5ft 3:D bmi...15-17 ish

rubthebuddha
03-08-2004, 04:08 PM
rebar is a metal rod used to keep concrete in place, particularly while it cures and hardens. ever see road construction? the metal rods sticking out are lengths of rebar.

abobo
03-08-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
rebar is a metal rod used to keep concrete in place, particularly while it cures and hardens. ever see road construction? the metal rods sticking out are lengths of rebar.

To clarify, concrete is strong under compression but cracks easily in tension. Adding steel reinforcement (rebar) protects against a more sudden, brittle failure (since steel is a high-strength, ductile material). Another benefit is that the steel inside the concrete casing is protected from both corrosion and high temperatures.

blooming lotus
03-08-2004, 05:16 PM
mmm hmmmm...........well I really don't know how to take that , so I think I'm just gon let it go....I'm not "skinny" though....like you'd be more likelt to look and think "health" ....or fit..or stength...than bones...and proportinately to rest of my body, my arms are decent....

What ever boys ........I think some of you are just intimidated by my smallness....but I understand ;) :p :D

greyfox
03-15-2004, 11:09 AM
bout to go food shopping i have cub back on what type of foods i eat been eatin more thorugh out the day but what should i put on my grocery list

Dano
03-15-2004, 03:30 PM
A quick note of warning. I was about 260 lbs and wanted to get back into shape. I cut back on the calories to about 1200 per day. I worked out 6 days a week. First day, cardio, 2nd day strength training, etc. After 60 days I was feeling great about myself. My weight had dropped to 227.

When I started, I could hardly do ten push ups. After about 60 days, as a part of the strength training, I was doing four sets of push ups. First set 20 push ups with my feet on the couch pushing up off the ground. Second and third set were similar. 4th set I maxed. I got out 50 push ups. I was beginning to feel invincible.

The next morning when I got up and relieved myself, I stretched my arm forward to turn on the faucet. Incredible pain shot threw arm. I screwed up something in my shoulder, still don't know exactly what.

That was over six months ago. My shoulder still bothers me. I'm slowly trying to rehab it. A fair amount of the weight has crept back on.

Moral of the story - if you haven't been in shape for a while, take it slowly. You don't need to get your High School or college body back in a day.

Good luck.

blooming lotus
03-15-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by greyfox
bout to go food shopping i have cub back on what type of foods i eat been eatin more thorugh out the day but what should i put on my grocery list

eggs
chicken
lean meats
turkey
watercress
no fat milks
goats milk (tastes funny but good in shakes, restores viscous and the iodine heals inners and promotes healthier metabolism)
lemon juice
soda water
green tea
?sugar free jelly
couple of bags of pre-mixed salads
tuna
sugar alternative
if you can do low salt...pick up some small goos..like ham and salami etc

well done on kicking off :D

PS. for Danos' morale...maybe stretch a bit more, don't forget your cool downs and always make sure you're doing the exercise correctly

cheers