PDA

View Full Version : Neck Strength

Oso
02-28-2004, 07:10 PM
ok, back when I was younger and such I did classic neck bridging from wrestling to strengthen my neck.

At other times I have had access to weight machines that worked neck muscles but don't now, my new gym is a 'kindler, gentler' gym that doesn't have a lot of the equipment I've used.

now, I'm much bigger than my 167lb. wrestling days and about 20 years older. Tried to do some neck bridges recently but even with using my hands found it to painful to continue for very long.

anyone got any exercises or links to exercises that can be done solo or two person to strengthen the neck?

TIA

FatherDog
02-28-2004, 11:44 PM
You can do static holds. Put some padding against the wall at a bit below head height, place your forehead/side of the head/back of the head against it, and walk your feet out so that you're leaning and supporting yourself against the wall by your neck.

Oso
02-29-2004, 09:18 AM
cool, thanks.

I'd thought about walking around with a weight tied to a strap around the back of my head but that will only work for the back side of the neck.

back when I was plumbing I spent a lot of time, hours a day, on my back with my head heald up to look at what I was working on.

hmm, maybe I can put a towel around a dumbell and lay it accross my forehead and do 'head' lifts.

triskellin
02-29-2004, 11:27 AM
i've seen one where u hang a punching bag off ur neck and do chin ups. u can hang it from the back (bag behind u) so it works the throat, or u hang it from the front so it works the back of ur neck. and also l&r so it works the side of ur neck. i remember seeing the bag rope hunged somehow under the jaw, but i can't remember how that was done sorry.

IronFist
02-29-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Oso
hmm, maybe I can put a towel around a dumbell and lay it accross my forehead and do 'head' lifts.

Yeah dude I think you call those "neck ups."

Toby
02-29-2004, 07:12 PM
Search the http://www.ironmind.com online store for "Headstrap fit for Hercules". Never used it, but ironmind == quality. Bit pricey, but it might be what you're looking for. Hang weights off in any direction, I guess.

Oso
02-29-2004, 07:18 PM
http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/

yep, a bit pricey and I wish they had a pic of it being used.

thanks.

Ka
02-29-2004, 07:20 PM
Boring and repetative Neck Nods,Hand resistence.
I found this stretch good.
http://www.circularstrengthmag.com/19/sonnon2.html

Oso
02-29-2004, 07:31 PM
Isn't that a Gramby roll??

Toby
02-29-2004, 07:38 PM
They probably use the Ironmind headstrap in conjunction with the standard or Olympic loading pins on the same page. Hang your choice of weights off and away you go. You could do forward, backward and side head nods. Although I'd hate to go to failure on backwards nods :eek:. Anyway, I was going to buy some of their other equipment including the loading pins, but I've decided to weld up my own. Loading pins will be easy enough. Headstrap would be hard to sew up (for me, anyway). Wish I could afford the draft horse harness. Pulling cars would be fun.

Oso
02-29-2004, 07:45 PM
LOL !

hmm, I used to have a connection to guys that worked at a climbing harness factory...probably about the same cost for a custom piece though.

IronFist
02-29-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Toby
Although I'd hate to go to failure on backwards nods :eek:.

:eek: is right!!

Toby
02-29-2004, 09:41 PM
Well, you could always use your hands to "spot" for your neck, but you wouldn't want to be struggling away, then sorta quickly collapse like you see guys do at bench when it looks like they drop the bar. I guess if it's your own neck with your hands spotting, you'd be pretty aware of how hard you could go. Still, if you were lifting weights heavy enough to even reach failure you'd have a neck like a bull.

BTW, seeing as metal is the talk of the last few days, I used to get a ****ing sore neck from headbanging at live gigs. Maybe try that, Oso. Put on your best black t-shirt and hit the front of the mosh pit for an hour or so at the next metal gig. Sometimes the next day I could barely move my head after some heavy headbanging. Also get to try out some of your favourite throws and strikes in the mosh pit :D.

FatherDog
02-29-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Toby
W
BTW, seeing as metal is the talk of the last few days, I used to get a ****ing sore neck from headbanging at live gigs. Maybe try that, Oso. Put on your best black t-shirt and hit the front of the mosh pit for an hour or so at the next metal gig. Sometimes the next day I could barely move my head after some heavy headbanging.

Oh yeah, totally. Last time I went to Ozzfest, I was doing bridges every morning with no problem, but after headbanging for three hours, my neck was sore for days.

Of course, this was back when I had a foot and a half of hair, which probably had something to do with it. :D

Oso
03-01-2004, 04:26 AM
i have to do my headbanging in my car...they look at me funny when I try to jump into the mix.

I just did get my very first pair of Docs, though. ;)