PDA

View Full Version : Yuen Kay-San schools in the UK?

lbrason
02-29-2004, 03:57 AM
hi All,

I read the Yuen Kay-San Wing Chun Kuen book by Rene Ritchie (good book!).

Does anyone know if there are any Yuen Kay-San schools in the UK?

I get the impression that all WC/WT/VT etc in the UK is from the Yip Man lineage. Is this right?

Thanks, Luke

Nick Forrer
02-29-2004, 04:24 AM
Hi luke

In fact the first line of WC in the UK was the Lee Shing line which is a mix of fatshan/Gulao WC (From which they have one form entitled Dai lim Tau or big idea form- As i understand it this has many of the actions/concepts of the other three forms rolled into one) and HK WC (From which they have the standard Ip Man forms).

People originally from this line include Simon Lau, Sam Kwok, Austin Gau, Joseph Lee, Joseph Man, Joseph Cheng etc.. For more info check out the current thread entitled 'Joseph Cheng'.

I know that Joseph Lee still teaches this in London and have heard he is a very nice guy!

I dont know of any YKS in the UK but that doesn't mean there isn't!

Hope this helps
Nick

captain
02-29-2004, 06:00 AM
good post,luke.perhaps we could get r and r to come to the uk and give a seminar?and be sure not to be londoncentric,ie,visit us in the west mids!

reneritchie
03-02-2004, 04:07 PM
There are no Yuen Kay-San schools or sifu that I know of in the UK, although that doesn't mean there aren't any. There are some absolutely amazing YKS people who don't teach, or who don't seek any publicity. The best way to find out for sure is to keep asking around Chinatown for Yuen Kay-San, Sum Nung, or Guangzhou WCK (but beware imposters).

Nick - Lee Shing mixed his Gulao (from Fung Sang) and Hong Kong (from Yip Man and Yip's students). He might have picked up some Foshan WCK from Jiu Chao and/or Jiu Wan, but he didn't teach any Yuen Kay-San WCK that I'm aware of.

reneritchie
03-03-2004, 09:17 AM
I should add that there are some Mai Gei Wong WCK people in Czech. Although MGW came up with his own unique approach, his sifu learned WCK from Yuen Kay-San, in addition to others.

Nick Forrer
03-03-2004, 09:42 AM
Hi rene

Is MGW the youngish looking guy with a goatee/beard? If so I think I have a demo of him with his Czech students at a restraunt last Nov in HK. Also present were Cliff au yeung and Wu chun Lam (both students of WSL) as well as Lok yiu and Mr Chan (student of Ip man). His WCK was very interesting.

reneritchie
03-04-2004, 05:18 AM
MGW passed away years ago. It might have been his son.

YiWan
03-04-2004, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by Nick Forrer
Hi rene

Is MGW the youngish looking guy with a goatee/beard? If so I think I have a demo of him with his Czech students at a restraunt last Nov in HK. Also present were Cliff au yeung and Wu chun Lam (both students of WSL) as well as Lok yiu and Mr Chan (student of Ip man). His WCK was very interesting.

Hi Nick,
"Mai Gei Wong" was my SIFUs father and he died in 1998. You have seen in HK on this (realy good) party demo of Wong Nim Yi sifu and his chinese students, his dauther and his student from Malta, Omar ("Chum Kiu" man :-)). I (we was - from Czech) was there too, but show just interest for all demos:-))), not my kung fu. Here photo of my Sifu, Wong Nim Yi (and me :-)), "Mai Gei Wongs" son.
http://www.wing-chun.cz/images/Master/sifu+sikung2.jpg
greetings
YiWan

YiWan
03-04-2004, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by reneritchie
I should add that there are some Mai Gei Wong WCK people in Czech. Although MGW came up with his own unique approach, his sifu learned WCK from Yuen Kay-San, in addition to others.

Hi Rene,
thanks that you mentioned us!
We have some groups in Czech, Slovakia, Italy and France.
greetings
YiWan

Nick Forrer
03-04-2004, 03:42 PM
Hi Ivan

Nice to hear from you! If you were there you will have met/seen my teacher Clive Potter and some of my classmates- Adam and Nedret did some chi sau together.

All the best

Nick

YiWan
03-05-2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Nick Forrer
Hi Ivan

Nice to hear from you! If you were there you will have met/seen my teacher Clive Potter and some of my classmates- Adam and Nedret did some chi sau together.

All the best

Nick

Hi Nick,
of course I remember Clive and his students demo (one of the better demos!!!) very clearly!!!
greetings
Ivan

reneritchie
03-05-2004, 03:24 PM
No worries. I remember you guys, I just don't always remember the 'New' Europe! LOL! :)

(I almost went to Czech last year for my cousins wedding, but ended up having to work--the rest of my (Scotch/Irish) family enjoyed it immensely--except for those who don't drink, of course :) )