PDA

View Full Version : Sifu says...

Gangsterfist
02-29-2004, 09:44 AM
You know all those funny little phrases of wisdom your sifu has told you (or if you are a sifu, ones you have told your students)? Share them if you like.

Sifu says:

Your legs move like wheels, and your arms move like arrows.

If you chop someone in the neck three times and they don't go down, run!

Kung fu is like pushing a boulder upstream a river, its very hard work. You take one day off and the boulder gets pushed back three days from where you last were.

Mckind13
02-29-2004, 09:48 AM
Try it, figure it out for yourself....

Vash
02-29-2004, 10:40 AM
Sensei says:

Get in an' beat the boy 'til he falls down, then run to the police station and press charges.

yuanfen
02-29-2004, 11:08 AM
One of Murphy simo's laws:

Never leapfrog an unicorn.

Gangsterfist
02-29-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by yuanfen
One of Murphy simo's laws:

Never leapfrog an unicorn.

LOL, thats a good one.

I can't remember where I heard this one, so I cannot give credit but here it is.

Student asks: Sifu, why are there so many anti-wrist grab techniques, I mean who grabs wrists in combat?

Sifu: Anti-wrist chin na techniques are usually applied after you grab someone in the groin or in the throat.

Nick Forrer
02-29-2004, 12:14 PM
Heres a fortune cookie from my sifu (dont know where he got it from)

The mind is like a parachute- it only works when its open

Grendel
02-29-2004, 12:40 PM
Sifu Moose sez:

"Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana."

yuanfen
02-29-2004, 12:55 PM
Sifu Chimp after exploring space said to Alan Shepperd-

Be careful- at about 10,000 feet where ground techniques wont work- you will get this tremendous desire for a banana!

Nothing like experience!

yuanfen
02-29-2004, 12:58 PM
Grendel- Is that Arrows paradox?

OdderMensch
02-29-2004, 02:20 PM
....if they cant take a jut!

Knees and elbows, gods gift to the little guy.

Groin shots should be like asprin, just keep useing them till the pain goes away

anerlich
02-29-2004, 03:22 PM
"I can't remember where I heard this one, so I cannot give credit but here it is.

Student asks: Sifu, why are there so many anti-wrist grab techniques, I mean who grabs wrists in combat?

Sifu: Anti-wrist chin na techniques are usually applied after you grab someone in the groin or in the throat."

I posted that a while ago. It was from Karate Shihan Patrick McCarthy.

anerlich
02-29-2004, 03:36 PM
A good boxer is stung frequently and hurt occasionally.

Gangsterfist
02-29-2004, 03:37 PM
Ah I knew I heard it on the forum I just could not remember where. Heh thanks for the wisdom anerlich!

Gangsterfist
02-29-2004, 03:41 PM
sifu says:

Better to get hit in class than get hit on the streets.

If you don't want to get hit hard, don't spar.

sticky fingers
03-01-2004, 04:53 AM
Kung Fu is like haemorrhoids....you get internal and external

sticky fingers
03-01-2004, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by Gangsterfist
sifu says:

If you don't want to get hard, don't spar.

WTF??? Whatever turns you on buddy...

sticky fingers
03-01-2004, 04:58 AM
More seriously:

sifu says :
'You can't bong sau a steam train' - a WSL saying

count
03-01-2004, 07:50 AM
"If they want to move in, let'em, just make sure to charge them a lot of rent."

"Why should I go all the way downtown to the main branch when I can just go to the ATM?"

"Even a pot of water takes 10 years to boil, if you keep taking it off the fire."

Da_Moose
03-01-2004, 02:17 PM
Gangsterfist poses this:

Sifu: Anti-wrist chin na techniques are usually applied after you grab someone in the groin or in the throat.

Not to ruin the light hearted mood of the thread, but why so many anti-grab techniques? Lets analyze this for a moment. If you run into an average guy with no training and are punching the crap out fo him, what's one of his natural tendencies? To trap your arms, thereby preventing you from continuing the pummelling. Now, I don't know about you, but I prefer to keep my hands operable, so I want to be able to free them, better yet, prevent them from getting grabbed in the first place. Just my thoughts about the scenario.

Humbly,
Steve

Gangsterfist
03-01-2004, 02:40 PM
Yeah I agree moose, but I was assuming you are fighting someone who is trained and would not grab your wrists in combat.

An untrained person is sometimes harder to fight because of their unpredictability and you are mostly used to sparring trained people. So it may throw you off at first.

Good point never the less though.

Gangsterfist
03-01-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by sticky fingers

WTF??? Whatever turns you on buddy...

Sometimes we spar at a really hard rate. It may seem barbaric to you, but to me it lets me know just how much damage I can take and fight through. Someone breaks your nose, can you still fight through it or is that the end of the fight?

I am not saying we break each others bones, just taking a few hard blows every now and again lets you know how much you can take, and reminds you of how much you don't wana get hit.

We also slow spar as well, but again accidents do happen and you might get hit. So the saying still applies.

anerlich
03-01-2004, 02:51 PM
Gangster,

I don't think sticky fingers was arguing with sparring hard, but making a double entendre on "if you want to get hard..."

of course, someone called "sticky fingers" would be more into that sort of thing than most :D

Gangsterfist
03-01-2004, 02:54 PM
oh umm seems I went dyslexic for a second and didn't even realize I left out the word "hit" heh well its fixed now.

Keng Geng
03-01-2004, 03:06 PM
"Don't EVER mistake kindness for weakness again, or I'll **** you up!"

anerlich
03-02-2004, 04:12 PM
"Come on ya poofs!"

(To flagging students in an all-male and particularly taxing conditioning session)

Nick Forrer
03-02-2004, 04:43 PM
"Come on ya poofs!"

Yes there really is nothing more motivating then having ones sexuality called into question;)

PaulH
03-02-2004, 05:15 PM
While there are too many colorful sayings preserved for WC posterity that I have heard. This is my favorite from Gary Lam from his "crossing hand" ? video:

"Go home! You're not a fighter!" (His advice to one of his former champ student who quitted studying when he couldn't deal with his first loss one day!)

Regards,
PH