PDA

View Full Version : Thought on Comparing Tai Chi Styles

Roll Back
02-29-2004, 12:58 PM
Hello, I have studied some Chen, mostly Yang, and I am now with Zhao Bao. I believe for an art to be called Tai Chi it must use the method of finding the right balance of yin and yang when applied to boxing skills. What I have discovered is that all styles are Tai Chi but each has their own set of requirements or rules. The problem I see when comparing styles is when one set of requirements for one style is used to judge another.

For example if I now do the Yang long form and use the requirements of Zhao Bao I am no longer training Yang Tai Chi but Zhao Bao Tai Chi using the Yang Long Form. Yes some of the physical postures do change to meet the requirements. To do Yang style I must use Yang requirements.

Then even in the same style the way things are performed can have different requirements. (As in small frame or the big frame.) Thus principles, which are universal, are tested using a different set of rules that then alters the view or outcome of the test. Science is science and natural law is what it is. But when science experiments with nature through testing, it must use a set of requirements. Changed even a little can alter the outcome. So when two scientists compare their results they look the results and the method (requirements) independently and do not impose their own requirements to discredit another’s results.

We can compare boxing results though thru free push hands and free sparring. We can compare health and fitness by the longevity and quality of life of the practitioners.

scotty1
03-01-2004, 04:04 AM
Good post.

"I believe for an art to be called Tai Chi it must use the method of finding the right balance of yin and yang when applied to boxing skills"

I agree. That's a nice definition that doesn't discount a style because of training methods or relative levels of softness.

TaiChiBob
03-01-2004, 05:55 AM
Greetings...

Often at tournaments judges are faced with competitors that have faithfully learned a particular style, a style that differs from the mainstream.. perhaps a little-known family style or a derivitive of more well-known styles, but.. movements and postures they have never seen.. Common to all of this is the "universal principles", this is what the judge has to rely on to evaluate the competitor's skill.. i have judged divisions labeled "Open" and witnessed everything from mild to wild, but.. the quality of the practicioner is evident in their understanding of principles.. Even within specific categories like Yang or Chen there are major differences in choreography and "flavor"...

It seems to me that there are few ways to actually compare styles, principles and results being the most obvious.. but, most result oriented evaluations (competitions, push-hands, sparring) are woefully void of much internal principle and too few judges are willing to control the competitors.. that being said, there is some wisdom in letting the contact matches continue and evaluating which competitor can best handle external partners with internal principles.. personally, i favor a competitor defeated externally on points that has stayed faithful to the principles, they will likely grow into a good Taiji Player.. adversely, when an "internal" competitor relies on external principles it demonstrates their lack of faith in their system.. it demonstrates their need to win is greater than their need to learn.. and i feel learning is more important than winning in the controlled competition environment..

Styles are based on preference or availability, principles are universal.. to be fair, only the student's teacher can actually determine the degree to which they have internalized the instruction..

Be well...

Roll Back
03-01-2004, 10:44 AM
Yes, I think we are in agreement. My assumption was comparing Tai Chi styles that are done internally, not externally. I know of a very good Hung Gar master that performs Tai Chi very soft and good yet has no internal qualities.

The continuous flow, meeting yang with yin and being the correct amount of sung is what I meant about the correct balance of yin and yang. Again I think we are in agreement. My point was only when comparing styles not to use the requirements of one style to judge another- it skews the results. I feel you can compare the requirements as long as it is clear what rules are being used to judge and how those rules can favor one style over another.

I would like to add more on the push hands but I need to run. Thanks for the responses.