PDA

View Full Version : What's a good vertical leap?

IronFist
02-29-2004, 01:04 PM
How high is the average person supposed to be able to jump? The average athlete?

Just curious.

And what's the best way to measure? The reaching up the wall method?

inic
02-29-2004, 04:06 PM
standing or running?
I remember I had insane vertical back 7th-10th grade. I think my legs developed early or something. "white jordan" was a nickname I got. But now it probably sucks. back then I could touch the top loop on a basketball hoop. being 5'7", that's pretty dang good! But now i'd be happy to just touch the net!:(

Ford Prefect
02-29-2004, 04:08 PM
Not sure what would be considered "good". Easiest way for marking would be to find a high concrete wall, make a mark with a peice of chalk with your arm extended, and then jump and make an other mark. It's not exact, but it'll give you a good idea.

inic
02-29-2004, 04:12 PM
with the wall method though, it'd be strictly standing. You wouldnt even be able to take a pre-step. I'd say try it on a basketball backboard. You could at least get a few steps in with that. dust your hand or something then measure the distance from the hoop.

inic
02-29-2004, 04:14 PM
And i just realized I prefer to look at the feet, cause what if someone has short arms or monkey arms? maybe get a small box and jump over it straightlegged, then just add an inch at a time till you can't jump over/on it

IronFist
02-29-2004, 08:57 PM
I was talking about standing.

And i just realized I prefer to look at the feet, cause what if someone has short arms or monkey arms? maybe get a small box and jump over it straightlegged, then just add an inch at a time till you can't jump over/on it

Short arms or long arms, the distance between the two chalk marks will still indicate their vertical leap.

wall
03-01-2004, 02:11 AM
Wushu standards...

...standing leap, measured with the good old mark on the wall technique:

2ft - ok, average Wushu Joe leap ;) , should have enough air time to do basic acrobatics

3ft - good solid leap, all basic acrobatic should have ample air time and look real good

4ft - great height, air time to do it all in style

over 4ft - are you a Chinese pro?

Was this the data you were looking for?

C

IronFist
03-01-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by wall
Was this the data you were looking for?

Not really :) I was looking for data for normal people, not normal Wushu people who specifically train to jump high.

Altho I guess I could count that as the "athlete" standards.

4ft vertical leps? Isn't that pretty high, tho? I wouldn't think even very many trained people could do that.

reddslimm
03-01-2004, 02:01 PM
i think i read somewhere avg for males are 29 inch vertical. Some basketball players have 50 inch verticals.Rare though.

Ashez
03-01-2004, 09:14 PM
Man 4 foot Verticle Jump *Drools*

I wish I could jump that high

wall
03-02-2004, 06:33 AM
Iron... I've seen 5'5" guys with 4'+ standing leaps... amazing. I'm 5'11.5" and just get 3' of air, but I guess I only train jumps 1-2 times week for 30min so for a 31y.o. oldie that's not to bad ;) .

norther practitioner
03-02-2004, 03:01 PM
4' is rediculous.. I'm at like 25" or something..

mickey
03-02-2004, 06:38 PM
What is interesting here is that these verticals are, apparently, done without a chi development program (please correct me if I am wrong). Imagine the results if chi development was included.

mickey

IronFist
03-02-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by mickey
What is interesting here is that these verticals are, apparently, done without a chi development program (please correct me if I am wrong). Imagine the results if chi development was included.

mickey

I can't even tell if you're trolling or not.

Ashez
03-02-2004, 10:47 PM
I Dont know how high i can jump , But im about 5' 10" and i can slam a basketball hoop

mickey
03-03-2004, 05:26 PM
Hi IronFist,

I was definitely not trolling. I am a classic leadfoot: back on the ground as soon as I am off it.

I think chi development as a first step toward vertical jump training may yield results that are above and beyond some of the measured verticals posted here.

mickey

Toby
03-03-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by mickey
I think chi development as a first step toward vertical jump training may yield results that are above and beyond some of the measured verticals posted here.
:rolleyes:

mickey
03-03-2004, 07:47 PM
Toby!

Please add words to that face! (much laughter)

Or, is that silent trolling?

mickey

Toby
03-03-2004, 08:08 PM
Words are - proof? Anecdotal evidence? How does "chi development" help you jump higher anyway? Jumping higher is a function of muscular strength and explosiveness in the legs mainly. How does "chi development" help with strength or explosiveness?

As has been posted many times before, if it does help, then why isn't anyone using chi development as a training method in the American NBA? Surely it would be worth millions.

As to the trolling comment, I could ask whether you were trolling too although you already said you're not :(.

mickey
03-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Hi Toby,

The key word in my statement is "may." I wish I had definitive proof that it would work-- I would be freaking rich! It was an idea that I wanted to share.

My experience with chi is that it tends to maximize ability. You can hold stances longer, train longer, and get stronger; such has been my experience. It depends on how you train it.

I really admire jumping ability. I wish I had it. Yet, I only just became aware of vertical jump training programs a couple of months ago. I am seriously looking at the possibilities such an approach "may" offer.

The trolling comment was just a joke.

Thank you again for responding and for your questions.

mickey

Ford Prefect
03-04-2004, 08:27 AM
So Wall,

You have no problem dunking a basketball in a regulation rim?

wall
03-05-2004, 12:57 AM
Ford...I have no idea. Last time I was around a bball rim was at highschool I think...let's see 31-18=13 years ago :) I remember back then jumping and grabbing the rim and then doing chinups, to the PE teachers annoyance, but I have no idea weather it was even a regulation height rim...?

W

Ford Prefect
03-05-2004, 10:34 AM
Well, at nearly 6' tall with a 3' vertical, you should be able to stand under the rim and jump up while standing in place and 2 hand dunk it...

I just wanted to put it in perspective what a 3' vertical at 6' tall would give you. There are pro basketball players that can't do that. :rolleyes: