PDA

View Full Version : Working the beat, police take a beating.

rogue
02-29-2004, 08:44 PM
They're punched, kicked, gouged, dragged, run over, slashed, stabbed, spat on, bled on, bitten by dogs, bitten by people and shot. (http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031773958237)

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD/MGArticle/RTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031773955010]Richmond Detective Shane Waite and Chesterfield County career police officer Lee Pulley Jr. both took bullets while doing their jobs.

Royal Dragon
03-01-2004, 09:06 AM
It's all because they are not allowed to shoot people anymore.

scotty1
03-01-2004, 09:56 AM
"Her biggest concern wasn't her injuries, it was the lack of concern by the public. During her second injury, which was at Fourth Avenue and Spruce Street, "several citizens walked by and nobody offered help, nobody even bothered to call 911." It was clear that two uniformed police officers were struggling with someone, and the onlookers simply looked on.

"You think about that," she said."

Most people wouldn't get involved with police struggling with someone, in fact I think most people would think they'd be in a bit of trouble with the Police if they did.

ShaolinTiger00
03-01-2004, 09:57 AM
Some highlights from an informative report:

INSTRUCTOR'S CORNER:
By : Mark S. Dunston, Calibre Press Street Survival Seminar Instructor

During the research project, over 1,400 cases were measured based on information from officers attending the Calibre Press Street Survival Seminar throughout the United States.

Of those attempts, it was reported that 60 percent of attackers were successful in taking the officer to the ground.

the attack occurred most often at domestics or other disturbance calls, followed by making contact on traffic stops. This should come as no surprise, as these are the very same reasons for contact that find a high number of officers assaulted and killed each year

45 percent of the time, followed by 40 percent of the attacks coming at the point of handcuffing

of the incidents reported, 68 percent of the attackers were under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.

A majority of attacks reported in the study involved the suspect pushing the officer to the ground (28 percent), pulling the officer to the ground (33 percent), or tackling the officer to the ground (24 percent).

Observing that pushing, pulling and tackling types of attacks are gross motor events that do not require a great amount of fine motor skill ability or precision movement supports the philosophy and practice of training officers to perform gross motor skill movements under the stress of being attacked.

, the attacker continued assaulting the officer on the ground 64 percent of the time

21 percent of attackers attempted to disarm the officer. Of those, 5 percent were successful in removing the officer's weapon.

There is no question that training officers to fight on the ground is imperative to winning such confrontations.

Liokault
03-01-2004, 10:02 AM
lol Yes shooting would be the answer to such injurys as:

Hit right ankle on corner of desk

Dog ran out of pen and head struck left thumb at such an angle that caused fingernail to separate from thumb.

Drowned after backing patrol car into a pond (i find this funny, but I know i should not)

Right knee strain, probable internal derangement. While participating in an academy run, employee twisted right knee. This occurred while running up the parking deck.

Cut hand on broken glass while investigating a B&E

Burns to eyes when capstan was discharged into own face

Chemical conjunctivitis left eye. Officer was cleaning snow and ice from police vehicle when an unknown type of debris entered the left eye (:D )

Poison ivy or oak on upper body parts

Training. Gun hit nose causing cuts and swelling:D

Strained foot pressing brake pedal :rolleyes:

Bi-lateral Tinnitus from siren

Anxiety attack during physical training:confused:

I am not sure which is my favorite police injury (all for 2003).....I think the guy who had an anxiety attack gets my vote.

MasterKiller
03-01-2004, 10:03 AM
There is no question that training officers to fight on the ground is imperative to winning such confrontations.
It makes sense that if your job is to submit people, you should know how to submit them effectively.

A classmate of mine took a voluntary officer training program that consisted of several Jui-Juitsu techniques for ground escapes and locks that seemed pretty effective. The Aikido stuff they showed him...well, that's another story.

David Jamieson
03-01-2004, 10:30 AM
It's a crappy job and the risks are high.

cheers

GeneChing
03-01-2004, 12:03 PM
That's why we published our most recent issue - Mar Apr 2004 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=453)

fragbot
03-02-2004, 10:49 AM
They're always pretty savvy about how to give someone a beating while making it look like you're doing something else:

1) yell, "stop fighting*" over and over while you're whaling on the guy

2) after you've taken someone down, "stumble" a little and, unfortunately, the knee landed hard on the guys ribs/head

3) corollary to #1, "let go of the baton," while you're walloping a guy's collar bone.

This is America. You gotta be sneaky about such things. I have one funny story about this sort of thing. I've been told that the Philadelphia PD used to have an easter bunny suit that was reserved for drunks who needed a lesson from Miss Manners. When the guy would sober up and stand there bruised in front of a judge, his answer "I got beatup by an easter bunny," got him marked as a crank. True story? Dunno.

*I've been told a coupla times that stressed people remember more of what they hear than what they see.