PDA

View Full Version : choy lee futs real name?

SifuX-HSK
03-01-2004, 11:41 AM
i have a question for the group of people here.

is choy lee fut the real name of our system?

i am just wondering.

if chan heung originally learned from chan yuen wu, then the first name of the style should be fut, right?

so if chan heung learned from lee yau san next, shouldn't the styles 2nd name be lee?

and if choy fook was chan heungs last teacher, shouldn't the last name of the style be choy?

that would make the system called "fut lee choy," right?

wanted to know what you think.

frank

Fu-Pow
03-01-2004, 12:05 PM
Well Choy Fook would have been the most advanced and revered practitioner that Chan Heung learned from. So he probably named the style according to who should get the most credit for their contributions. (Choy) Fook------>(Lee)Yau San-------->Fut (in reference to his uncle and Shaolin in general).

Chan Yuen Wu probably did not make a huge contribution to the Choy Lee Fut style in comparison to Lee Yau San and Choy Fook. From what I understand Chan Yuen Wu was a layman who had some martial arts training and taught some to his nephew and then realizing his natural skill, passed him on to people that were way above his knowledge and ability.

It be like if you were a kid with great basketball skill and your uncle worked out with you and helped you train. Well, by chance your uncle works out a deal for you to train with Michael Jordan one-on-one. You train with him for 5 years and go on to a professional career. Are you going to give more props to your uncle or to Michael Jordan? You might give a shot out to your uncle but you're definitely going to acknowledge the contribution to your skill from Michael Jordan.

In addition, I've heard that Chan Heung did not want to include Chan in the name of his art because it was not supposed be solely a family art but rather something that could be deseminated around southern China.

SifuX-HSK
03-01-2004, 12:10 PM
if that was true,

then why is there a chan family branch of choy lee fut?

Fu-Pow
03-01-2004, 12:16 PM
Because you are always gonna hold back a little something just for your family. You'd do more for your family than you would for someone not related. It's human nature, it's in your genes.

Ou Ji
03-02-2004, 09:09 AM
Little known fact: Choy Lee Fut's real name is Chan Lee Fut. Shhh, don't tell anyone. :D