PDA

View Full Version : I have a fight.

Oso
03-01-2004, 07:22 PM
So, I have a full contact fight lined up at this local kung fu tournament.

US Kuoshou Lei Tai rules.

A 'demo' fight in that it is only a single fight w/ no medal or money awarded.

What sucks is that I can't find anyone in town who will help me train for this by sparring with me at or near full contact level. I've talked to several people who have said they would spar with me but not full contact.

My thought is that I would be better off not doing any light contact sparring vs. doing light contact sparring and training unlike what I'm going to do.

Comments and opinions welcome....

David Jamieson
03-01-2004, 07:28 PM
for some reason i thought you lived closer to me. I think it was from your niagra falls thread.

too bad I would have obliged ya bud, i'm all for that type of training, it's good stuff.

well, if yer ever up in T.O, look me up, you can get hold of me through my website or here.

cheers

Xebsball
03-01-2004, 07:30 PM
u need someone to do full contact with u?

STREEEET FIGHT!!!!

ok, just kidding
(and im sober)

Oso
03-01-2004, 07:30 PM
t'anks.

btw, I formally deny that I was ever in Niagara, Canada.

just, like, for the record.

Pork Chop
03-01-2004, 07:39 PM
Oso, I know NC's far... but feel free to come train with us in Baltimore; you can stay at my place if u need a spot to crash, I don't mind poppin for food either.
We've got at least one guy with significant kuoshu experience.
One or 2 of us may compete down there in NC.
hit me up if you're interested

Shaolinlueb
03-01-2004, 07:58 PM
KUNG FU DEATHMATCH

WITH BLOOD COMES HONOR!!!!

lol

Oso
03-01-2004, 08:00 PM
dude, thanks, I doubt I can get up there between now and the 28th of this month, I have two seminars to go to and my sparring class for my students is saturdays and getting them ready is more important than me getting ready, they've never done any sort of competition.

I'm just bummed that a few people I thought I could count on aren't coming through for me.

thanks again for the offer. wait, hmm, I have a week off the 15th of the month. what is your class schedule during the week, I could maybe come up midweek.

rogue
03-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Oso, Couldn't you go somewhat light like the Muay Thai guys do and then bang the bag and pads full force?

Oso
03-01-2004, 08:35 PM
sure, that's part of the plan, but I still don't really have anyone who is willing to do that...and though I have a couple of my students are willing, I outweigh my heaviest student by 60 lbs.

time for an old mattress and a tree, I reckon.

rogue
03-01-2004, 08:41 PM
Well here we just relieve tension by grabbing our women for a roll in the hay, but if a matress and a tree is what you hill people use you go boy!:D

What are you weighing in at now?

Oso
03-01-2004, 08:43 PM
LOL...bas tard, you know what I meant. :)

Chang Style Novice
03-01-2004, 08:44 PM
Don't make me bring up the legendary fifi sack, rogue.

Anyway, good luck on your bout, Oso. Break a leg. Or anything else that presents itself.

Oso
03-01-2004, 08:47 PM
way to much...240.

When I decided to go ahead and stay at heavyweight for the jujitsu stuff I kinda stopped worrying so much about what I ate. only put on about 15 pounds but at 36 it's just a bit harder to get off. been ramping back up on cardio and cutting out the carbs. did my first mountain bike ride of the season today.

Oso
03-01-2004, 08:49 PM
thanks CSN, I have my digital cam back so there will be footage to share.

thigh shots are legal and score
calf/shin shots are legal but don't score
so, I will definitely plan on makeing this dude crawl towards me if he wants to keep fighting.

Oso
03-01-2004, 08:50 PM
...you know, unless he crushes me to a pulp before that...

Judge Pen
03-02-2004, 05:59 AM
You'd probably make short work of me at full contact (I weigh 185 ) but I'm close enough to meet you and give it a go. I'm open March 20 and 21.

Tiger_Yin
03-02-2004, 06:52 AM
why is every canadian from this board frm ontario... hell id go but your police officers are total d***s to quebec people :D

Oso
03-02-2004, 06:56 AM
JP, thanks bro. I'm at a seminar on the 20th (which you might want to maybe come this way for, I'll PM you with details)
but lets set something up for the 21st. I've got 2 sets of boxing headgear, chest protectors and gloves.

Judge Pen
03-02-2004, 07:37 AM
Sounds great. :D

PM me on the seminar.

Oso
03-02-2004, 08:20 AM
JP, just cleaned out the PM box, sorry.

truewrestler
03-02-2004, 10:11 AM
maybe a Muay Thai or MMA gym would be your best bet?

quick google search came up with this page:

http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/ncmma/Training_Directory.html

norther practitioner
03-02-2004, 10:22 AM
did my first mountain bike ride of the season today.

I'm in a fit of envy.:mad:

Judge Pen
03-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by truewrestler
maybe a Muay Thai or MMA gym would be your best bet?

quick google search came up with this page:

http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/ncmma/Training_Directory.html

You're probably right, but I'll make a nice moving target for Oso. If I hit him, it probably wouldn't do much damage. :p

Oso
03-02-2004, 01:45 PM
nice find, TW, I've done my share of internet searching for NC schools and not found that.

I'm pretty sure "Shooter's Gym" here in Asheville is defunct.

Travelling to train is just a big problem for me. I already make one weekend trip a month as it is and I have a FT job and teach classes 3 nights a week and on saturdays...

I know, I know "quit yer *****in and train"

I'm also broke, so travel expenses aren't really an option... a tank of gas is a lot for me to kick out extra right now.

the thing is, there are people here that have the skills, they just don't want to train at that level.

I'm still digging for here...i've heard a rumor or two about some people that I'm trying to get intro's too...someone's bound to want to beat me up :)

NP, it was about sixty, cloudy and blustery but as I got to the top of my climb just before sunset the clouds broke and the light got really cool as I headed downhill on the single track...and I spooked a group of 3-4 deer...which in turn spooked me and I about crashed...all in all a good first ride.

norther practitioner
03-02-2004, 02:18 PM
Nice, found a new trail right near my house.. I'm psyched, I'm going to pick up my bike this weekend.

Oso
03-28-2004, 08:39 PM
went to the tourney

my students did well. They all had to compete in higher divisions to because of low tournout. They looked good though, IMHO.

The whole lei tai thing was funky due to lack of pre registration. Ended up with 6 fighters including myself but due to NC Boxing Commission rules we couldn't do any sort of bracket though we all wanted to.

So, we did 3 fights. I fought a guy right at my weight (or seemed like it anyway ) He had some hella good knees and I caught some good shots to the thigh.

I HATE THE LEI TAI HEADGEAR. Felt like a horse wearing blinders. Couldn't work off angles because I couldn't use peripheral vision at all. If you've never worn this thing you can only see directly in front of you and not very well at all.

I was not in condition for this as you will see from the video. It also would have helped if I had ever trained with lei tai rules. I went down with him on every throw which I attribute to the jujitsu/judo training. Got the throws but no points. Bent over way to much at the waste while clinching but after I caught the first couple of knees from this guy I was trying to keep my solar plexus away from his knees or he surely woulda layed me out.

Met Master David Chin of hop gar fame. He has a student who has gone pro in one of the mma/nhb circuits and 2 of their guys fought LT as well. Master Chin was cool and funny to talk to and listen to while his guys were fighting.

and, somehow I ganked my right arm. can't bend the elbow straight of lift my hand above my shoulder.

Anyway...had issues with Pinnacle Studio 8 all day so it might be tomorrow or tuesday before I get the vid uploaded but I'll post the link here then.

Mr Punch
03-28-2004, 08:48 PM
So did you win???!!!

Oso
03-28-2004, 08:54 PM
:o oh, yeah, i did. It was only a best of 3 and I won the first 2.

which was good cuz I was gassing.

cerebus
03-28-2004, 08:55 PM
You 'couldn't bend your arm straight'? I'm not really sure how that could be done in the first place (bend it or straighten it, yes, but "bend it straight" is a new one to me, heh, heh, heh :D ).

Oso
03-28-2004, 08:59 PM
ok, ok...i'm in pain awright ! ;)

I can't straighten it past about a 45 deg angle at the elbow w/o a lot of pain.

cerebus
03-28-2004, 09:05 PM
I hear ya man. I had the same thing happen in October after a full contact Hsing-I match. I think mine was from the elbow getting hyperextended during a fall while trying to reverse an attempted throw (we both landed hard). Have you had it checked out? We had a complete first aid station and all the instructors were trained in TCM anyway, so I had it worked on and it's doing fine now (joints are bad things to injure). Get well bud. Later. T.

joedoe
03-28-2004, 09:06 PM
Congrats Oso.

cerebus
03-28-2004, 09:09 PM
Oops! Yeah, congratulations guy!:D

sakko
03-28-2004, 10:18 PM
when do we get to see the vid?

Oso
03-29-2004, 04:49 AM
thanks, joedoe and cerebus.

sakko: I will hopefully have it up by the end of the day. I'm very new to the video editing bit and Studio 8 was giving me fits yesterday. I will post the link here when I do.

Serpent
03-29-2004, 06:29 AM
Congrats Oso. Your elbow sounds like classic hyper-extension, but see a doc to be safe.

Looking forward to the vid! ;)

Serpent
03-29-2004, 06:30 AM
BTW - did you spar with JP? How did that go?

Suntzu
03-29-2004, 07:38 AM
tf!?! video!!!..... or else it just didn't happen :D ........ that cage headgear indeed sucks.....

Judge Pen
03-29-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Serpent
BTW - did you spar with JP? How did that go?

No, I *****ed out after I threw my back out on my test. Oso lives close enough that I'll get down there and spar around eventually.

Mr Punch
03-29-2004, 09:00 AM
JP you're such a chicken! :p :D Just bend your back straight again and get on with it...!

Congrats Oso! :D

FatherDog
03-29-2004, 09:02 AM
Congrats, Oso! Judo represent :D

norther practitioner
03-29-2004, 09:24 AM
Congrats OSO, good job man.

Oso
03-29-2004, 12:30 PM
Thanks everyone. It was fun but I'm feeling old.

I am rendering as we speak. If the girl is not too tired tonight I will be asking her to upload to the website this evening.

I can email anyone who wants it a small rez 17.5 mb file for each round if you can take the download. I'll have 320x240 on the website and it'll be about 40mb for each round.

Serp, it's better today. On the clips you'll see a round punch to the head where I connect well and back up so I follow w/ another but he steps in or I step to far and I connect solidly again but with my forearm. that's where I think the damage happened.

Oso
03-30-2004, 06:58 AM
Videos are up here:

http://www.ashevillemartialarts.com/Video.htm

They are about 33 mb a piece.

Right click on link and 'save target as' for best results.

I don't know if there is anyway to moderate the draw but I don't have too much bandwidth on the site so it will probably crash if everyone hits it at once.

A couple of the other links to my students are currently wrong but will be fixed tonight.

be kind, I already know I was fat, slow and not in condition for this:)

Judge Pen
03-30-2004, 07:29 AM
I've only watched the first match. You had some nice throws there man.

Edit: Watched the second round now. good hands and feet. Whenever you two clinched he was looking to knee and you weemed to be looking to throw more.

I'm still looking forward to when we can get together and you can toss me like a ragdoll.

Musicalkatachmp
03-30-2004, 12:04 PM
I thought the clips showed some real good stuff...and the mask gets a lot easier to see out of as you use it more...I've worn it for a couple years and the only difference it makes now is I can't see the guys legs when we clinch...like when I am trying to sweep/trip him...

I liked the throws...it looked like he had you once but actually you were rolling him over to land on top...I am glad you decided not to hit him there...

Oso
03-30-2004, 09:13 PM
JP, thanks bro. He caught me with those knees early and they didn't feel too good so I was trying to stay the heck away from them the rest of the match. He was pretty good, defensively, against throws. Found out afterwards that he was a kung fu/shuai jiao ( i can see WD racing to correct my spelling now ) guy so it figured that it was tough for me to toss him.

MKC: thanks. I'm still not sure I like the format. Want to try a san shou match next. BTW, I didn't intend to hit him. By this time i realized I wasn't going to get a good lei tai throw on him so I went with what I've been training and got the mount and showed the strike.

here's a pic of one of my student's playing off pre-match jitters.

16 year old at his first tourney.

WanderingMonk
03-30-2004, 09:29 PM
oso,

thank you for your generosity but, wow, 33 meg per clip. on a dial-up that's a killer.

may be you can compress these files using wmv encoder from microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5691ba02-e496-465a-bba9-b2f1182cdf24&DisplayLang=en

It will cut down the file size and save your bandwidth.

wm

Oso
03-31-2004, 05:11 AM
WM, yep, working on it. Will probably post a 2nd option on the website shortly.

cerebus
03-31-2004, 05:51 AM
But which one is you?:confused:

Oso
03-31-2004, 06:17 AM
2 mb .wmv files are now up for my two rounds.

smaller files for all other files will be up shortly.

still learning Studio 8 and didn't know I could produce .wmv's with it.

I'm the guy in the black shirt.

cerebus
03-31-2004, 06:28 AM
Cool! That's a relief. You totally owned your opponent! I didn't want to comment on it in case you were the other guy (wouldn't have wanted to put ya down for making a good try of it). Yeah, the guy in the white shirt doesn't seem to have ever learned how to punch straight or use any kicks beyond the front kick (not so good at that either). Good fight.

Oso
03-31-2004, 09:33 AM
thanks. my opponent was only a 2.5 year student. Not knocking his experience at all I was just hoping to have fought someone with a comparable level of experience. As it was, he still made me respect his knees. It doesn't look like it but he caught me good early in the first round.

I was supposed to have fought a wing chun sifu but they ended up pairing us more by weight and me and my opponent were close and outweighed the WC guy by 25-30 lbs who was 210. The next lightest guy was around 180 I think so they put the 210 w/ the 180 and us two fatboyz together.

FatherDog
03-31-2004, 02:05 PM
Just watched the clips - nice throws, man. Knees or not, the other guy got Osowned. :D

yu shan
03-31-2004, 09:39 PM
Oso- good effort bro! I also believe you owned this fellow. He didn`t have much in his arsenal, but the knee attacks. Saw the one that hurt you in the first round, you adjusted quickly. He was pretty much milk-toast after that. It was apparent the takedowns wore him down. I personally enjoyed the body shots you gave him also.

Bring some gear next week, and let`s you and I knock around. I think it would be cool even to spring it on some of my elder students in class.

Serpent
04-01-2004, 12:00 AM
Just watched the clips. Interesting stuff.

Things that I found most interesting:

You had on those big old gloves and head guards, yet were kicking each other with shod, unpadded feet! :D

Very few strikes, given the total fight time. Seemed like there would be one strike to set up, then clinch. I expected more striking from a kung fu guy! ;)

Your opponent looked a little "heavy"! You said you were getting gassed, but he looked wasted by the last half of the 2nd.

So what did you take away from it, Oso? Anything you decided that needed work, or something that you will refine/change/cast off after the fight?

Props for putting your stuff out there, BTW.

Oso
04-01-2004, 05:46 AM
yu shan: will do. I've got some chest pads as well.

Serpent:

You had on those big old gloves and head guards, yet were kicking each other with shod, unpadded feet!

That's the Lei Tai rules. Everyone wore very different gloves. I've got video from the other two fights but havn't gotten permission to post them yet. (working on that). The headgear is specific and everyone had to wear the same thing. You can't see crap, as I noted above. But, of course, both fighters are hampered the same way.

Very few strikes, given the total fight time. Seemed like there would be one strike to set up, then clinch. I expected more striking from a kung fu guy!

I've never been a big striker. {shrug} I struck when I felt I had a shot.

Your opponent looked a little "heavy"! You said you were getting gassed, but he looked wasted by the last half of the 2nd.

he and I talked after the match and it seems we both had the same lack of good cardio prior to this. I think the biggest thing I did to take his breath was the side kick at about 2:07 in the first round. His knees never caught me center so never affected my breath.

So what did you take away from it, Oso? Anything you decided that needed work, or something that you will refine/change/cast off after the fight?

I must maintain better cardio.

Venue matters. I'd never sparred LT rules so wasn't edge aware which costs you points. Also hadn't trained against knees in about 3 years. The jujitsu training has me going down with the throw vs. remaining on my feet. Of the 4 throws I got, only 1 counted for me. And, if nothing else, you need to get used to the cyclopean view from the helmet.

I wouldn't say there is anything I would cast off based on those 2 short rounds. If I were to continue to fight LT on a regular basis I would certainly refine my strategy towards winning under those rules.

Judge Pen
04-01-2004, 06:40 AM
We use the same type of headgear when we spar heavy contact and it definately gives you tunnel vision. They make a set with a shock resistent clear mask that has better periphial vision. Have you tried those?

Oso
04-01-2004, 06:50 AM
I have if you are talking about the same Pro Force but with the clear mask. Century also now has a clear lexan face sheild.

Serpent
04-01-2004, 07:57 AM
You know what we need? Remember the movie "Dune" with those force shield suit doobies? We need some of those. Of course, you have to remember that the slow blade penetrates the shield.

Good points, Oso. But I still think you should have hit him more! ;)

Oso
04-01-2004, 02:36 PM
I'll try to remember that next time. :)

Judge Pen
04-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Yeah Oso, why didn't you hit hiim more? Slacker. :D